1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with DVD backups

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by junmeistr, Jan 27, 2005.

1. junmeistr

junmeistr Guest

I am using DVD shrink and nero 6 to back up my movies,
    everything goes great and my backups are done nicely,
    here is my problem on my movies when I place them into my set top DVD player about 5 to 20 minutes into the movie the movie starts to pixelate its like when the signal from dishnetwork starts to go out the movie freezes and you can see little pixels on the tv ,
    what is causing this would you know any help would be very appreciated thanks its happening to all of my movies DVD player is a JVC XV-N44

2. colw

colw Active member

This is not an advanced question and one that has been asked and answered many hundred of times - try the search button at top of page for some answers.

Problem invariably due to:
    1. Poor quality media - Ritek, Verbatim or TY's suggested.
    2. Burning too fast (max 4X suggested).
    3. The use of labels on burnt DVD's.
    4. Media incompatible with standalone player.

Suggest try on other brand standalones - el cheapo Chinese players tend to be more tolerant of burned DVD's.

3. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Classic sign of inferior quality media. What brand of dvd did you burn to?

If I were you, I'd get a copy of dvdinfopro and do a crc check on the media for read errors.

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I found that problem on some of my friends' DVD players, but on mine they play fine. This led me to believe that it was a compatibility issue. That's what I think your problem is, but it could also be inferior media.

5. junmeistr

junmeistr Guest

I am using memorex 8x recording thanks for your help guys I will try sony media and record at a slower speed

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey junmeistr,when you survey those sony's, Look for Made in Japan on that label.These are a lot better than those sony's made in taiwan. I even had some sony's made in austria that I am afraid to burn.Those were given to me.

That is the bad thing about most brand name media,different manufacturers for different format and spindle sizes.

Maxell uses more reliable manufacturers and haven't let me down yet.They threw me for a loop this week when my local office depot had them $10 for 25 pack.These were ritekgo4's. My last 10 batches were mxlrg-02. I even know they sometimes slip in ty's every once in a while.Those were all on the -4x yellowtops.

Now on the +4x maxell's,they all seam to code as ricohjpn01,still not too bad.

That's why I look for Made in Japan on the label,japan makes the finest media.

Just like cole posted,4x is par around here. When you get some high quality media,you may be able to raise that burn speed. The sony +1-8x,I can get 16x out of them and still look great in my stand alones.Those were made in Japan.

Good luck on your media quest.

7. junmeistr

junmeistr Guest

quess what my problem with my DVDs was all along with the DVD labels and guess what I did to solve this I did a check with DVDinfopro and checked my DVD and it gave some errors then I took off the DVD label and did another check with DVDinfopro and no errors it was the DVD labels all along thanks for the help realy appreciated it

8. junmeistr

junmeistr Guest

quess what my problem with my DVDs was all along with the DVD labels and guess what I did to solve this I did a check with DVDinfopro and checked my DVD and it gave some errors then I took off the DVD label and did another check with DVDinfopro and no errors it was the DVD labels all along thanks for the help realy appreciated it

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey jun, paper labels are very bad. The most referred labels are thermal printable with the epson L-200 printer on printable media. This will be my next purchase.At the moment,the old sharpie will do.

I have read many threads on people having trouble with paper-stick on labels. Peel them off with goo-gone and they usually work fine.

10. colw

colw Active member

And why are we unsurprised?

The use of labels on burnt DVD's is probably the most common cause of playback problems on standalone machines (along with the use of poor quality media).

Live and learn.