1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with DVD Burner

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by sethlives, Dec 16, 2004.

1. sethlives

sethlives Member

I was hoping someone might be able to help me some. I have been using an HP 300n DVD +R/+RW drive successfully for over a year. I have made countless copies of movies using DVD Decryptor, DVD Shrink, and an ISO tool.
    Just yesterday, it started producing DVD's that cannot be read by anything (standard dvd player or the drive that wrote it). I have not changed the media, nor any system settings. In an attempt to fix the problem, I have updated the firmware, and any software updates that I could find, but these do not help at all.

Whats really weird though, is that I can still make data DVD's that work fine. And what is even weirder, is that it will burn working movies onto +RW discs!!! It just won't burn working movies to +R.

Maybe the burner is toast? I don't know what could be causing this. Anyone have any experience with this? Any help would be much appreciated, I made 5 coasters already!

System specs:
    Windows XP: SP2
    P4 2.8 GHz
    512MB RAM
    All of the newest drivers and firmware

Thanks for any help you may give me.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Your problem may be related to the brand of blank media you are using. What name brand is it? Blank media is strange in that you can have several good batches and then all of a sudden it doesn't work. Even out of the same package of say 50 you could get 25 bad ones. This usually happens with cheaper quality media.

Jerry

3. sethlives

sethlives Member

I am using Ritek RiDATA since they were recommended as being good ones. I had a pack of 50, and every one of them worked. Then I bought this second pack of 50 I am using now, and the first 15 worked fine, until now of course. I'll try one from bottom, maybe I hit a spot of a few bad discs.

4. sethlives

sethlives Member

Well, it looks like that worked. I didn't think to try that before. My first discs I ever bought were Memorex I think, and over 60% of them would not play in a regular DVD player (I was told it was due to poor quality). However ALL would play on the device I used to burn them. Thats why I didn't think quality was the problem here. But I guess it is. Apparently there is a few bad discs in this batch. That sucks.

Now for the part where I try to figure out just how many are actually bad!!!

Thanks for your help.