1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with DVD shrink, could use some advice :)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Jaffacake, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Jaffacake

Jaffacake Guest

First let me tell you about what ive done before i get to this problem.

1) Ive decoded the DVD with DVD decrypter on the FILE mode and saved it all into a VIDEO_TS folder, end result was around 7gigs so i knew id have to shrink it down some.

2) Opened DVD shrink, changed around some of the extras compression rate till i got the main film to around 90% compression and the whole thing was around the right size (4464 on the bar)

3) Now when ive come to encode it all into a .ISO for burning, i encounter the following error [​IMG]

Now its not that i dont have enough space on the harddrive partiton because there is over 11 gig spare, so im now lost as to what im doing wrong, maybe the size is to big (4464)? I remember reading somewhere about 4360 or a number around that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks =)

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Sorry i dont know what your problem is, but let me clear up one thing for you.
    4464mb=4.36gb,1000mb. doesnt equal one gb.There is a math formula that explains all this but its foreign language to me.If your using the default 4464mb,it being too big, isnt your problem.
    The only problem you might have with a project this size, is if your using cheap media,then your writting on the outer edge, and thats where the dye is sometimes thinner than normal.(but this isnt the problem with your error)

The only thing I could suggest, is redo your project with dvd shrink in iso mode ,(if you plan on burning with decrypter)maybe that might work.

Sorry i couldnt help more,somebody in here will be able to help you, we have some very smart people in here
    good luck and welcome to the club
    jim

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out of it alive!!
    procrastinate now...dont put it off till tomorrow
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.[/small]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  3. Jaffacake

Jaffacake Guest

Yes this problem is occuring after ive transfered the dvd to my harddrive using Decrypter into a VIDEO_TS folder and in the process of shrinking it to a DVD fitable size in DVD shrink in ISO format to get ready for burning, this error is coming when im trying to create a ISO from the dvd files.

No idea at all why its happening or even what the error is :(

4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

ok,why not try doing it with dvd shrink first instead of decrypter, in the iso mode since im assuming that your burning with decrypter
    I only use decrypter when shrink wont do the job
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out of it alive!!
    procrastinate now...dont put it off till tomorrow
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.[/small]

5. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Are you writing the ISO file to a NTSF format hard drive. There should not be a problem. If you are writing the ISO file to a FAT32 format hard drive there will be a problem. There is a Maximum 4GB file size for FAT32 even if you are using WIN XP

6. Jaffacake

Jaffacake Guest

Hmm yes that could be the problem, whats the difference between FAT32 and NTSF? Also can you have one "partition" as NTSF or does the whole harddrive have to be one format or the other?

Also how do you do change it :)

By the way thanks for the advice guys, this forum is really amazing and id be 100% stuck without some of the info thats floating around here. *hugs*

7. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Let me see if I can get the letters right this time.

NTFS NT File System.

If you use Win XP, 2000 or NT
    Yes you can format a partition NTFS but you will lose any data on that partition unless you use a non-destructive partitioner like Partition Magic.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]The best information on streaming media recording.
    The Streaming Media Recording Forum.
    http://pub25.ezboard.com/bstreemeboxvcr[/small]

8. fourls

fourls Member

Hi,Jeffacake:

Sounds like you are having some of the problems that I had when I first began the burning projects.

What I will tell you applies to Windows XP, DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, and ImgTool .91.01. If you are not using this software, the game is over for me.

Assuming that you have that software including Windows XP, all regular DVD movies can be backed up without concern about the extent of compression. If you are trying to put more on a 4.7 GB DVD, I cannot help you there.

Again assuming that you are using all of the that, the first thing to do is set up three folder on your hard drive using the name of the movie. I use the underline key between words and add "-Decrypt," "-Shrnk," and "-Img" as suffixes of the respective folder names.

Insert the movie DVD in your DVD-ROM drive, a valid blank DVD in your burner-drive.(Note: You would be well served to download DVDInfo 2.34 if you do not have it yet. This is probably the best piece of free software that you will ever find on the web.)

Start DVD Decrypter in File mode. Locate that "-Decrypt" folder on your hard drive. Use it as the destination for DVD Decrypter. With some luck DVD Decrypter may have already found the movie that you plan to back up. The encryption should begin auomatically with the progress information displayed.
    If you do not have a problem, this first step should complete within ~ 20 minutes(or much less).

Second step: As soon as decryption ends, click on DVD Shrink, find the "-Decrypt" file(just completed),"-Shrnk" file on your hard drive. Assign these files to their proper location: "-Decrypt" as the input "-Shrnk" as the output(destination).(Note: These operations assume that you have set up DVD Decrypter mode, etc.). Again, this operation should begin automatically. The time required varies, but it should take no more that 30 minutes.(Note: A dirty or lightly scratched DVD will slow down this operation. Use a soft cloth and rub only toward the hole of the DVD. Never use circular or translational(left to right) strokes.).

On my setup, the final two step usually blends into one step: the Imaging and Burning.(The burning immediately follows running ImgTool with "-Shrink" as the Source, "-Img" as the middle file in the group in ImgTool.

I am aware that some of the gurus at AD may differ somewhat with what I have told you, but assuming no bad media, my "system" works EVERY TIME. . . .

Again, if you are trying to shrink a huge movie DVD, I cannot help you there. I asm good for the 4.7 GB version with DVD Shrink.

Lots of Luck. I needed plenty. . . .

fourls

9. Jaffacake

Jaffacake Guest

Thank you all for the help, ive just managed to correct the problem by formating the parition to NTSF format and its all working great now.

Without your help i would have just given up i think hehe, what a wonderful resource this forum is.