1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by robpardee, Feb 27, 2007.

1. robpardee

robpardee Member

I have an external DVD drive an HP and I have had it for a while. I've been burning DVDs successfuly for a little while but occasionally and for some reason more recently I have had trouble with the the DVDs I burn turning up choppy in the DVD player toward the end of the movies and I can't seem to figure out why. They work cleanly when I put them back in the burner that burnt them and watch them on the computer. Any suggestions.
    P.S. my firmware is up to date.

2. onya

onya Guest

These symptoms usally point to media quality and burning speed. Are you using high quality media? Are you burning at 8X or even 4X speed? Have you tried a lens cleaner for your optical drives, both pc and stand alone?

Cheers.

3. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

One other thing in addition to Onya's excellent suggestions is not to burn to the edge of the disc. Most would recommend not burning past 4400MB. I generally set mine to 4350MB. Usually as Onya said, good quality media definitely helps...

4. robpardee

robpardee Member

What would be some good media brands to use? What speed should I use as I have been using 16X, is that too high? How do you set DVD shrink to write to 4350 MB instead of 4400? Although the last movie I did only used 4100 with no compression and it still jumped at the end of the disc within the last 20 minutes of the DVD.
    Thanks

5. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

You can change the compression size in Shrink by opening up Edit then Preferences and set custom level to 4350. However, 4400 is not a bad number.

Yes 16X is too fast for consistent quality burns.. A good rule of thumb is to burn half the media's rated speed, ie, burn 16X media at 8X (again a general rule). I hardly ever burn over 8X even with quality media. Try burning at 8X and see if playback is choppy.

There are varied opinions on what is quality media. Verbatim are easier to find and are considered good. Many will say TY are the best but you can only find them online nowadays. So I would say start with Verbatim which can be found at Best Buy and other computer stores.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  6. robpardee

robpardee Member

Thank You, I have changed those settings as described and used a cleaning disc on the burner. Im going to try and run another back up now to see if it works or doesn't.