1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with dvd shrink

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by streak4, Jun 26, 2007.

1. streak4

streak4 Member

First hello to everyone...Its my first post, but I need help. I am having problems with trying to backup my dvds. I tried to open the disks which i have done plenty times before and it says "DVD shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. invalid DVD navigation structure." Any idea whats wrong or how to fix it? Thanks in advanced.

2. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

this is due to copy protection, dvd shrink cant handle the newer protections on newer dvds.
    so easy way is to rip the dvd with DVDFab HD to your HDD first then use shirnk.

BTW what dvd is it?

3. streak4

streak4 Member

thanks a ton..it was the movie shooter. Hopefully this works and I assume I use the open file icon to burn it. Thanks again...

4. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

when using shrink you have to select the OPEN FILE option and locate the folder where you ripped the dvd with DVDFAB.

when you wrote about burning, shrink does not burn, however it can auto burn with programs like nero, dvd decrypter, IMGburn, CopyTOdvd,

what burning program are you using?

5. streak4

streak4 Member

I assume its using my nero 7 software

6. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

7. LadieNite

LadieNite Member

some of the newer dvds have a copyright protection seal that is harder to break. dvd shrink is a really great program but unfortunately, it hasn't been updated so things like shooter cannot be opened. I've worked with DVD Decrypter and that sometimes work with DVDs that can't be opened. Another really good program is ripit4me. sometimes ripit4me is a 2-step program but it gets the job done.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  8. oldslow

oldslow Member

dvd decrypter will work on newer movies that i have- but only with anydvd, it runs into problems w/dvd43. I don't seem to have time, patience, good speling or vast knowlege about ripping etc. So if you want a simple method of producing a backup and shrink just won't work try one click dvd copy with dvd43 running in background. as far as i know there isn't a movie out there that it can't work with.
    fallbacks of this program are limited options and it's cost of about $60.00. I think there is a trial version.
    for newer movies you will probably be buying some software- If your lazy like me. I suggest oneclick(with43) or anydvd with clonedvd (their kind of a set and clone just can't seem to do it alone (with dvd43).
    If you hate spending money then try reading the dvd shrink forum and
    you will find most folks that seem to know what they are doing use a freeware program called dvdfab HD http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm
    I've downloaded it but haven't expermented with it yet. what they are doing is ripping to hdd then encode/write with dvd shrink.
    one last thing, in the dvd software world the waters are infested with sharks so do some reasearch befor BUYING anything cost is NOT an indicator of quality as there is some expensive CRAP out there.
    good luck to you.
    P.S. if you can not find a trial version then it is probably not to swell. Unless of course you know someone who can vouch for it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007