1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Problem with formatting my PC

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by cturpeinen, Apr 19, 2015.

1. cturpeinen

cturpeinen Newbie

Hello i have a problem regarding formatting. I bought a computer a while back and now time has come to start clean. I want to format my computer, but i haven't succeeded quite yet. After wiping my hardrive, i inserted my usb with windows on it, and my PC found the files and windows should work.

The problem is installing the drivers. How do i do it ? It says i need drivers for my hard drive. I downloaded all drivers for my motherboard and they are the correct ones, but the PC doesn't seem to pick them up from my usb ? It says nothing is found, even though i have the files on my usb. Can someone tell me what to do please ?

~~~Appreciate it alot, whoever helps me!

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

3. aldan

aldan Active member

try downloading your ethernet driver on another computer and installing that first.then reboot and see if windows can find your drivers automatically.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is your hard drive a ssd drive or regular sata drive?

5. cturpeinen

cturpeinen Newbie

My computer was self built, but windows is windows 7 ultimate 64-bit, graphics card is AMD radeon HD 6950, hard drive is Western Digital WD Green WD20EARX 2TB , and motherboard is asus M4A87TDEVO.

6. cturpeinen

cturpeinen Newbie

Stupid question, where do i get my ethernet drivers ?

7. cturpeinen

cturpeinen Newbie

And btw does it make a difference how i transfer the drivers to the usb ? i mean i dont have the original cd's so i had to download em. Do i need to keep em as .rar or as a folder or just everything seperate ?

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you delete the old partitions, make the new partitions, format the c:/partition before installing windows? open up the rar files into their own folders then copy & paste into the downloads directory in windows.

9. aldan

aldan Active member

to find your drivers you first need to find out what kind of ethernet controller you have. go to control panel>device manager>network adapters to see what you have.then,on another computer go to the manufacturers website for drivers.i am assuming here that you have no internet connection on your computer yet.

10. Mez

Mez Active member

A super late reply. I don't visit AD much any more and rarely to I check here.

You can buy a restore disk for the computer for a brand name computer. They run 25 - 50 USDs. It takes care of your windows licence as well. You do not need to know your key if it is lost. It uses a 'blanket key' which you can alter. You might need to contact MS if you used a blanket key but usually MS will fix it roboticlly you since you will be on record. After telling you your version is not valid they check their records for your computer. If your computer is on record and at the same IP address they correct your key and it is valid once more behind the scene. This saves them dealing with an irate customer.