1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with friday night lights and dvd shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by coaltrain, Jan 4, 2005.

1. coaltrain

coaltrain Member

hey everyone,
    i'm new to the site and to this whole world so if i seem like a noob, it's because i am...please bear with me.

i've used dvd shrink for a few movies with great result, however i've run into a string of movies that have been problems. most of them are freezing up during the anlayzation when i open up dvd shrink. these movies were Resident Evil Apocalypse and little black book...the problem i now run into is that friday night lights will analyze with no problem but when i try and back it up...encode it, it freezes with 5% done, i know that most people here don't have access to friday night lights as it doesn't come out for another two weeks ( i work at bbv...i have the feeling that i'm not supposed to say where i work in full words, atleast that's what i deduced from reading other posts) but i'm wondering what my other alternatives are..there seems to be a guy going around to all the threads promoting anydvd and clonedvd...i downloaded them and i didn't really get what anydvd was for...if someone can tell me in noob terms i would be appreciative....after wards it messed up my drive so i uninstalled them and restored my computer to a day before i installed them. so i guess my basic question is...is there anything i can do? what should i look at? i'm trying to help the community with what i can, but i'm not great with code...lol maybe if i can try and find what exactally the studios have changed...i don't know...well i guess that's my post...hello, i hope you all will welcome me...and i'm sure i'll see you around.

coaltrain

2. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

i would suggest going to hollywood v,i mean hv instead. for no apparent reason but that bbv sucks. can't exactly help you yet until i actually get the movie. what are you using to encode the movie?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  3. coaltrain

coaltrain Member

i'm new to this so what i do is use dvd shrink to encode the movie into an .iso file and then burn that .iso file to a dvd+r using dvd decrypter... i know that i can encode with decrypter...i'm just not 100% sure what i'm doing when i do that...so i don't do it.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Wrong, DVD Decrypter doesn't encode. It is a decrypter and a burner program. DVD Shrink decrypts and encodes and uses Nero, Decrypter, or CopyToDVD to burn automatically. With the encoded file saved to the HD, any good DVD burner app can be used to burn the file encoded by Shrink. Sometimes DVD Decrypter is called on to rip files Shrink can't decrypt.

As far as AnyDVD goes, you should have read the product description on the Slysoft web site. It is a driver type decrypter that runs in the background. Putting it simply, with AnyDVD running, the recording apps see the DVD as an unprotected source, AnyDVD eliminates the encryption and some other settings associated with the factory DVDs. I don't see how AnyDVD could mess up a drive, unless you did something weird to cause it. I've been using AnyDVD for a long time without any problems. AnyDVD along with DVD Decrypter have ripped even the most difficult DVDs I've run into.

5. coaltrain

coaltrain Member

after hearing that i'm thinking it must have been clonedvd that did something to my drive...hell for all i know it was a conflict error that was slowing it down so much...i'll see what i can do with that new info...thanks

6. brobear

brobear Guest

One thing about Slysoft software, normally it doesn't cause any system interference.

7. squizzle

squizzle Active member

My guess is the movie has the same new type of encryption that RE2 and Little Black Book have. Shrink will not rip it if this is the case. Download the newest version of DVD Decrypter (search it in the software section of this site) and click Mode, ISO, Read. Choose your drive and decrypt. Then open DVD Shrink and click File, Open Image File, click the MDS file you just made and you should be all set. I hope that helped you out.

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Wrong... Go to the Slysoft site and download the 4.4.1.1 AnyDVD Beta. Hopefully anyone using Shrink has v3.2, it's been out there quite a while now. (Shrink and AnyDVD Beta recorded Little Black Book without a catch.) I did RE2 with the regular AnyDVD 4.3.0.1 running and ripping with DVD Decrypter. By the way, there is a new release of DVD Decrypter; it's now in version 3.5.2.0. These later updates help the programs work better with the sector type encryption used in RE2 and Little Black Book. Using the AnyDVD Beta and DVD Shrink 3.2, I was able to record Little Black Book without a problem. To date, Little Black Book has been about the biggest problem and without editing out files, the older rippers wouldn't handle the problem. A friend told me he had to edit out the fullscreen version (Little Black book has full and wide on the one disk) to get the recording even with the latest version of Decrypter in use.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Due to getting an incomplete burn earlier with other programs, I used DVD Shrink along with the AnyDVD Beta 4.4 to encode LBB to the HD and then used Nero Express to do the burn.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2005
  10. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I did LBB with the new Decrypter and then used Shrink on it, had no problem. havent tried friday night lights yet. will let you know how it turns out.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

DVD Decrypter rips, DVD Shrink Rips and Encodes. So, you ripped and then ripped and encoded. Sort of a redundant process when all one needs to do is run AnyDVD in the background and let Shrink run as it normally does.

DVD Decrypter is free and AnyDVD is retail, so I can see if a person doesn't want to pay for the easier app.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2005
  12. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Yeah that's pretty much the case, I don't feel like paying for an app when I can get one for free. DVD Shrink's ripper cannot handle the new encryption that is on movies, DVD Decrypter can. That's why I used both. Normally I just use Shrink and burn with Nero.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Even DVD Decrypter stumbled on LBB and requires a patch to do the rip successfully. I ran it, so I know what happens. I did the movie different ways because LBB has been one of the more interesting encryption schemes recently. Without the sector list patch, DVD Decrypter gives an error when it's finishing up. AnyDVD does the task without any extra patches. Slysoft seems to update the app quickly when the industry puts in new type encryption schemes. I'll spend a few bucks to avoid the nuisance of having to hunt and download patches when I want to rip a difficult DVD.

Unless Dr Shrink changes his mind, 3.2 was the last version of DVD Shrink. So, there will be no updates to make it work with the newer encryption systems. It'll have to rely on programs like AnyDVD and Decrypter when it runs into something it can't break. I just let AnyDVD run in the background and I don't waste time finding I have to go back and turn on AnyDVD our use Decrypter because the current app is having problems with the encryption. I like working efficiently and don't mind spending a few bucks to do it.

Computers and hardware aren't cheap unless one gets them as a gift. So investing in software isn't that much more. Don't get me wrong; DVD Decrypter is my favorite ripper because I like using HD files. I still run AnyDVD in the background (since I have it, why not let it work). Shrink is still a good app, it's still better than a lot of retail items. However, I've found some retail items I prefer.

Anyone wanting to run Shrink (or many other programs) and have it work the way it normally does, without having to use Decrypter, can get AnyDVD and just let it run in the background. No extra steps and time consuming procedures are required.

14. Gringle

Gringle Guest

I have to agree with coaltrain on this one.

I downloaded the latest update for DVD Decrypter a couple of days ago; and decided to have a practice with it, I don't do much dvd burning so I just practice with DVD-RW'
    re-using disc's I'd alread burnt successfully. Shrink, no problems.
    DVD Decrypter however, couldn't access the ISO files it had just download to, No access path, it claimed.
    Where before I had designated a desktop file for Decrypter downloads, It was having none of this, at first it kept choosing a C:\ VIDIO_TS and couldn't find it, I chased it down with Windows Explorer and found the ISO files were in RAR format?
    Deleted RAR.
    Same test again, no access path again, another chase-down, this time the ISO files are in DVD Clone format?
    Nope DVD Clone couldn't open them. (Removed DVD Clone)
    I removed DVD Decrypter and re-installed it.

Now DVD Decryper is working, Its downloading to C:\New.ISO and uploading from C:\New.MDS... They're in the C sub-files somewhere lol. Getting tired I used the search facility to find, and delete them 4+ gigs in each.

Well that's my experiences' of the new version, I've little doubt 'others' will have others.

regards mike/gringle

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2005
  15. brobear

brobear Guest

Interesting, though it sounds like a software interference problem caused by the settings on one machine. When I updated DVD Decrypter, it continues to rip the files to the designated drive, creates a folder with the disk name and creates the DVD files in the folder. I can still browse and find a particular target folder if I want to. I know exactly where they go from long experience. DVD files getting sent elsewhere would be the result of choosing another directory or some software interfering. If ISO files are chosen as a RAR type, then you may have made an error in some setup. I know I'm going to use ISO files for different apps, so I never designate a particular program to have dominance with the file type. As a matter of trivia, did you know WinRar will open an ISO video folder into the file format like the Video_TS folder?

So, it appears Gringle is having a system problem that others aren't experiencing unless they have a like problem to his system. Except for better decryption abilities with the sector encryption, I haven't noticed that big of a change with the new Decrypter version.

16. Gringle

Gringle Guest

It does look that way Brobear, I tried it again @5am UK time, and its working all right as long as I let it download C:\New. ISO and upload C:\New.MDS.
    Seems a lot of folk are having problems with this update,
    as usual it's probably something simple, that's, not quite right, O' the joys of the insomniac lol.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Maybe it's something to do with the ISO files, I haven't used that format since I loaded the new version. I've used the file mode and it rips the way it did before. In ISO with the ISO and MDS, I don't quite catch what you mean by download the ISO and upload the MDS. When I ripped and created the ISO previously, I got the MDS and ISO files. I more or less considered the MDS a relic. The ISO is the movie file and I loaded that to be encoded or burned. For what I did, I usually just deleted the MDS if I knew I wouldn't need it for anything.

18. Gringle

Gringle Guest

I've double checked most things Brobear, the method I was using the basic AfterDawn guide DVD to DVD with Decrypter.

I can download to a designated TS file in file mode... and burn a DVD using Nero, but for some reason Decrypter fails to reconize the TS file?

The only way I can get DVD Decrypter to read and write a DVD is using the New.ISO for reading and the New.MDS for writing.

regards m/g

19. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I have the newest version of Decrypter and ripped Little Black Book with that no problem at all. Use what works best for you though.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Gringle
    Good luck finding the fault. I'd put it more on something in your system. Try joining the DVD Decrypter forum and asking lightning UK himself about your problem. I've not heard of others having a similar problem to yours. The only problem with Decrypter I know of recently was dealing with the unreadable sector encryption and that was supposed to be solved with v3.5.2.0.