1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem With Hard Drive, Please help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Tram, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Tram

Tram Member

Okay, I have a quantum fireball 30gig hard drive as my secondary drive on my XP system. It has been working perfect. Then one day, I went to access it, and only 2 files are shown, i tried to see if they were hidden, they weren't, the only files that show up are temp, and BJprinter. Yet, it is recognized, and when I look at properties, it's at the same capacity it was before this problem started. So I do believe the files are there, I just can't get to them. Anyone heard of this, any ideas??? Please, I desperatly need your help. Thank you

2. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey! Can you write to the drive? Does it make funny noises? When you access it in disk management can you see other files. Did anything unusual happen before the problem started?

3. Tram

Tram Member

Yes, I can still write to the Drive. I got into disk management, but I don't know what you mean by being able to see other files, I explored the drive, and it was the same 2 files I can normally see. It makes no weird noises. One thing im thinking could have done this is I deleted some programs on the drive, but I didnt uninstall them, I just deleted the files, like FarCry, I just deleted the file it was in. But I don't see why this would effect the rest of the hard drive.

4. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!
    Try the search option from the start menu.
    Start-search-all files and folders-look in:pick drive drive with missing stuff
    scroll down to more advanced options and make sure all the boxes are checked.
    See if any more stuff is found.

5. Tram

Tram Member

Nope, still the same files, It found some more files but they were all sub files that were in the files that I can already see, this is really stumping me, I know the drive is there, it's detecting it, I can write to it, it says my drive is about half way to capacity, but they are no where to be found!!

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Are you by chance running Norton System Works. I have read some strange things it does. I don't have the program so this is from memory. It has a protected recycle bin. If you delete files and they go there, the files won't show but they are still takin up HD space until you empty that recycle bin. Just guessing. Don't know if this will help or not.

Jerry

7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Try booting up to Safe Mode or Console-boot ... anything NSW might do wont be active there :)

8. Biosgain

Biosgain Guest

So by clicking on `show hidden files` the missing files don`t re-appear?

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

happened to one of my customers except she lost everything. possiblity she got hacked. what firewall are you using especialy if you are on cable

10. Tram

Tram Member

I downloaded some file recovery software, and all of the files show up on there. So I recovered them and put them on my other hard drive. Problem is only about half of them work (they are mostly mp3s). In the file log of the recovery pair it says the files that don't work are damaged. I have no idea what caused this, so now im trying to repair the damaged file from this drive!!! I LOVE COMPUTERS!