1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with LG 8164 CD-Drive

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by jkcampb, Oct 22, 2007.

1. jkcampb

jkcampb Member

I am having a problem with my LG 8164 CD-Drive and I don't know if anyone else has encountered this same situation. I have the drive in an external enclosure hooked up to my laptop through a USB connection. I have used this setup for quite a while now and I have backed-up probably 10+ games with no problem. All of a sudden the drive now won't recognize any wii discs. The drive does show up in My Computer and will play a DVD movie but has problems with wii games. When I load a game in the drive it spins up really fast like its reading it and then stops. A few seconds later it spins up again. It does this repeatedly and basically freezes my computer in the process. Could this be something wrong with my computer (operating with XP) or did the drive go bad? Thanks for any help.

2. deed02392

deed02392 Member

I'm afriad it does sound like your drive has gone bad, or maybe just the laser has become dirty. Try and find a special lens cleaning disc in your local shop, but first try backing up a disc that you have already backed up before and know worked in your drive. Also, make sure you drive is dead still and balanced when reading the disc. Try it in a different computer. If it is hot, disconnect it and let it cool for an hour and then try again. Let me know how you get on!

3. culius

culius Regular member

r u sure you did waitting for the drive is reading disc , as i know is take little bit time for reading disc when you see in raw dump 2.0 it say finding the seed and then it start dump a files