1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROBLEM WITH LG GSA-4040B

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by manaba, Dec 16, 2003.

1. manaba

manaba Guest

Hi,

I have a big problem with my dvd-burner LG GSA-4040B.
    While burning i get a PC FREEZE. The picture freezes and the burner led keeps flashing. Mouse doesn't move etc, complete freeze.

The drive is jumpered to be secondary slave (primary slave is plextor plexwriter 40/12/40A)Firmware should be the newest, 301 (btw where can i check the current firmware version if not sure?)

Software: Nero Burning Rom 6.0.0.23
    Hardware in the pc: MSI K7N2-ILSR, Geforce FX 5200 (ASUS), 2 x 256mb 333mhz ddr-ram(kingston+specktek), plextor plexwriter 40/12/40A, TW-IA300B Network adapter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Dennis

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hi manaba,

2 questions:

what OpSystem?
    Using IDE3?

Also have a look at
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread/t-74711.html

Also:
    You could try temporarily disconnecting the Plextor & setting the LG to master then testing, I have known some board/drive combinations to only work reliably on master setting (may need a nero re-install)..

Have Fun..

3. manaba

manaba Guest

DrChips,

Thanks for the answer, i'll look in to it.
    I read on another board (what i could understand because it is a german board), that the problem might be my motherboard drivers version 3.13.
    Something they talked about the ide driver which comes with this 3.13 version driver package..
    but im not sure if that is the solution for the problem because my german is very very lacky.
    So if anyone understands german, please, if you can look here, and tell me what was the solution:
    http://forum.gleitz.de/showthread.php?p=59269

Thanks,
    Dennis

4. manaba

manaba Guest

Oh and the operating system is Windows Xp Pro with sp1 installed.
    And im not using ide3

5. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

Try putting the LG onto IDE3 set as a master (generally a GOOD IDEA(tm) to give all drives their own channels - SATA has great promise in that respect).

If you have access to a spare Hard Drive, pop it in in place of your existing one (disabled, of course), build XP without sp, just use minimum to get drive recognised & test burn.

If LG locks up then (with default Micro$haft) then you have a hardware problem.

I re-read original post & noticed you stated XP, I must have been having a DOH! moment when I asked about OpSystem :)

Have Fun...

6. manaba

manaba Guest

Hey,

I got it working now! The problem was NVIDIA's crappy ide sw driver which came in the 3.13 driver package.
    Uninstalled the drivers and then reinstalled same drivers and when program asks "install ide sw driver" just answer no.

Thanks for your effort drchips!

Btw. Can the IDE3 be used as a normal ide channel, like 1 and 2. Just plug in devices to all three channels and the pc does the rest ?

7. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

It SEEMS that you can use IDE3 like that (as far as I can ascertain from the manual) as it supports ATA up to 133, so putting a device on there is a Good Idea (it is controlled by the Promise chipset I believe), though you may have a problem trying to get the system to boot from a hard drive attached to it (have to do a complete re-install from scratch, installing raid drivers under F6 during setup etc. etc. WARNING: integrated Promise Raid Chips can be problematic used that way, flakey software etc., though they work FINE as data store i.e. windows loads & initialises the raid software..)

So, sure, use IDE3 for things like LG etc.
    Try it & see (I don't have one of those boards to test with, all my kit has discrete & multiple raid boards)

Have Fun..

8. fuches

fuches Member

Manaba,

I agree with drchips. I have the exact same burner. I am going from memory, but I think when I updated my firmware to 3.01, it told me (either the lg site where I downloaded it - or the actual software), that your drive should be set up for secondary master. What I would do is uninstall all software associated with the driver, turn off your system, take your burner right out - make sure the jumpers are set correct for secondary master, then reinstall everything. If that still does not work - possibly exchange it for a new one.

I am in no means a guro like everyone else who has responded to your problem, but that's what i have done to mine - and everything works like a charm.

Good luck

9. manaba

manaba Guest

Fuches, as i said, i got the drive working already :) The solution you can see in my last post.

But problems continue to occur to me with this new motherboard MSI K7N2-ILSR. This time i notice that games dont work. Gonna post a new thread for this one.

10. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya manaba,

If you continue to have stability probs you won't be the only one, have a look at:
    http://www.computing.net/hardware/wwwboard/forum/19793.html
    select windows XP & click search

If you google with MSI K7N2-ILSR PROBLEM you will come up with LOTS of links.

unofficially, the white-box industry has been noticing a higher level of returns for non-functioning/faulty/unstable from this range than has been normal: unofficially, the conclusion seems to be that it is cheaper for the boards to be replaced than for the problem to be fixed (expect a board revision).

Sorry if it seems like I am "raining on your parade".

BTW, I use QDI/ABIT/INTEL for Intel cpu's & ASUS/DFI for AMD cpu's (stability & reliability are joint number 1 for me, performance second, cost third).

Have Fun...

11. Delboydee

Delboydee Member

Guys,

I bought a USB2.0 enclosure and put the GSA-4040B in there and it works fine without any problems. Do you think I could get away with updating the firmware via USB2 as its set to being a master drive? Or is that a bit risky do you think?

Cheers,

Del

12. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya Delboydee,

If at all possible, put the drive on an IDE channel as master, with no other devices.

The reasoning for the advice is this:

LOTS of update software (the program that does the updating, not the datafile or bin image) EXPECTS the drive to be on one of the STANDARD IDE channels on the motherboard (PM, PS, SM or SS) and you run a risk if you attempt to update with it connected via other means.

At best, it may work: at worst, you might end up with a drive with a corrupt bios - is it worth the risk?

Have Fun...