1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Magic 3 on PS2 version 7

Discussion in 'PS2' started by nologo, Jan 1, 2003.

1. nologo

nologo Guest

I just installed a modchip for my cousin's PS2 version 7 and it will not load CDR backups of PS2 games. It will boot the disk and display the "Playstation" logo screen but then the unit freezes leaving logo screen on the display. This has happened on backups of two different PS2 games. It will play PSX backups so I know the chip is functioning (by the way, the optional clip that is supposed to reduce soldering is a piece of cr#p - doesn't clip - so anyone considering it, don't bother).

I was just wondering if there are different instructions for creating backups for version 7 PS2 units. I followed the instructions for creating backups from a friend that does not have a version 7 unit.

Thanks in advance.

2. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

A v7 unit is nothing special, it's a PS2 with a newer laser, you just have a bad chip install, and the clip is not crappy, all the ones I dealt with worked.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2003
  3. jr_

jr_ Guest

I have 2 PS2s with magic 3 mod chips. No problem booting CD-R's. One of the machines will get a bad read once in a while. reboot fixes it Doesn't happen very often and usually it's on the same disk. Happens on original disk also. The other one works flawless. Not all PS2's work equally well out of the box. The laser alignment may be off a little.
    I would recommend to anyone with a new PS2 that they first check out the stability of the PS2 before they do the mod (while it's still in waranty). Then you may have some idea if the problem is related to the mod.
    Don't know about the clip, mine or both soldered but that should not be an issue.

4. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

The clip is only an issue when you guys buy a cheap one that hasn't been properly stored so doesn't clip properly.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2003
  5. jr_

jr_ Guest

Well probably so Supleh2 but I think if I ever have to do another one I will stick with the solder. The pressure contact may work fine but it could be a problem over time and if the unit is bounced, like in shipping, the clip may move or come off. Or is the mass so low and the pressure so high that this could not happen?
    My wife is talking about wanting a PS2 of her own, so I see another mod project for me in the future.

6. nologo

nologo Guest

The clip was not cheap - it came from modchip.ca which I hear is a bit more expensive but good quality.

jr_, I've been trying to solder without the clip but I'm not having any luck. I followed the one and only diagram that seems to be available on the net and I am absolutely sure that everything is right. By my count, there are 22 wires.

Each time a reassemble and test, I am able to play org PS2, backup PSX but as I said earlier, it freezes on PS2 backups.

I took a closer look at the clip and noticed that there were a few other circuit board connections that were not on the manual wiring diagram. I added more wires and gave it a try but no luck. I know it was probably a dumb move and I could burn the thing out but I'm out of ideas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

7. leejm923

leejm923 Guest

Yo, I have the same problem. I bought some copied games and it work perfectly fine. But when I copy (Perfectly) It still own't load up.
    Is there other way to copy or what is the problem.

PS I find CDRWIN is the best way to copy.

8. jr_

jr_ Guest

leejm if you can play backups from someone else then it's your backups. Try Nero or Alcohol 120.
    nologo did you try someone elses's backups?

9. nologo

nologo Guest

Thanks for replying.

Yes, I only tried two CDR backups that came from the same person that has a modchip. I was told the disks work on his system so I assume the problem is with my system.

I beginning to question if version 7 machines somehow may not read disks that work on older versions.

Have you heard of such a thing?

10. jr_

jr_ Guest

When does it freeze up on the backups. Before the game is loaded or after?

No ver. 7 should easily read any disk an older system can.

11. nologo

nologo Guest

It freezes just after the black screen appears with the word "Playstation" in the centre and "SCEA" at the bottom of the screen. The disk definitely loads because the two games have slightly different "Playstation" logos when they reach this black screen.

I am not using the clip so I wonder if I am still missing some wires. When you did the soldering, did you just solder the 22 wires or were there more than that?

12. jr_

jr_ Guest

Yes it's the mod. It sounds like your system is still ok.
    Either the mod chip is bad or you are just not locating something in the correct place.

I have never used a clip. I have only used magic 3's. The clips may be ok but I prefer just soldering the connections.
    It sounds like the people who are using the clip are having more problems with installs.

13. jojo69

jojo69 Guest

i cant load my maigic 3 with dvd r for some reason, any brand...comes up to ps2 logo then goes to memory menu...what can i do

14. c7015

c7015 Regular member

check the mod chip there must be some problem with it if it isint the media

15. jr_

jr_ Guest

Since you are getting the PS2 logo the chip is injecting the boot code so I would say the chip is functioning but you may have a problem with your install or laser assembly

16. ahouterm

ahouterm Member

I've placed 3 modchips (Magic 4) in PS2 version 7, and all have a problem reading DVD+R or -R some games goes oke, other (Kingdom Hearts) will freeze evertime random in the intro, while this game plays very wel on a version 5 also with a Magic 4....I've also readjust the laser but it doesn't work.....I think the laser in the version 7 are a piece of crap....or the DVD+R (Imagination), DVD-R (Naschua) are not perfect for the PS2....the Platium DVD+R should be work oke, tells someone on the internet to me.....this is the next step I'll test.... I let everyone know how it ends.....

17. jr_

jr_ Guest

for ahouterm
    I think the problem is the mod chip you are using. I don't know who the source of the so called Magic 4 is but the Magic chip highest revision is 3.1
    I think the 4 is just a clone of the 3 or worse but I am not sure since I haven't actually seen one.

I believe that if you get a Magic 3.1 from a reliable source or a Messiah 2 your freeze problems will probably go away.

Since it's already installed the Magic 3.1 would be an easy replacement.
    I also suggest you put your laser back to it's orginal setting before you burn it out.

18. ahouterm

ahouterm Member

JR_ thanx for your reply....I've found the problem....the Magic 4 is, as you said, a clone from the Magic 3, and doesn't have a auto-shut-down functie on it....I've made an open contact from the +5V to the Magic 4 board after a minute and the game doesn't freeze anymore....on a English site the write about a "anti-freeze" chip (a PIC12C508)....So I ordered a PIC 12c508 and wait for it so I can program the chip and solder it into the Magic 4 +5v power line.......many thanx

P.s. on the Magic 3.1 is this problem solved..

19. jr_

jr_ Guest

Yes the Magic 3.1 goes to sleep. I had the freeze problem and the 3.1 solved it.

There is now a new problem found with the 3.1 in that some games like Dues ex and Max Payne seek the boot code after intro. Your fix may atually work bette than the 3.1 because the sleep it delayed for 1 minute which may get you through this part. I don't know if these games continue to do that after the intro.
    The Messiah 2 does not have this problem.
    I would try your fix first.

20. ahouterm

ahouterm Member

to jr_ I've installed the PIC processor and it's all working now, if you want more info please e-mail me to arne.houtermans@fluke.nl
    greetz