1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with my LG-4163B

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by salamura, Apr 17, 2005.

1. salamura

salamura Member

Hi there all,
    I just purchased LG 4163B 20 days ago. After installing it to my pc, to try it, I burnt a dvd containing pictures. It succesfully finished the job. I left my home for 10 days, and when I came back, I burnt a second media containing video clips as Data. After the burn job done succesfull, I tried to read the media, but the problem occured at that point. When I put the media into the 4163B, it did not read the dvd and gave an error message something like "corrupted disc or not suitable with windows" . Now it is a disaster for me coz I erased all my family pics from my computer and my pc can not read from the dvd media . While the media in the 4163B, the driver in "My Computer" shows no disc. Please help me about that problem coz it really make me mad.
    Thank you for all coming ideas!

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What brand name/speed rate/and format of media did you use?

Can you try that backup in any other pc drives or stand alone player?

The LG 4163B should be able to play it's own backups. If it doesn't,media quality most likely suspect.By playing those backups on other drives/stand alones,that will help narrow it down.

3. salamura

salamura Member

hello saugmon

thanx for ur reply. I am using media called FLY with 4.7 GB capacity and 8x max. I cant understand why I faced with a problem like that. As I mentioned before I burnt 2 DVDs. When I load the DVD with pics in it, my pc try to load it for a long time, after then, it shows the folder in the media "Pictures", but when I click on the folder it does not open it and spins the media for a long time and then gives a message like "corrupted disc or not suitable with Windows".

Are these things give an opinion to you?
    Also here is my config:
    PIII 850, 512 RAM, 40 GB HDD, 64 RAM GraphicsCard.

Thank you for ur interest

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I have never heard of this media. I couldn't locate it in dogbomb's list of media codes in the dvd-r media forum. That should be the first place to start.If it is poor quality,then it can screw you up. The life-span of poor media is very short.Quality is what I look for in media.

Your specs are on the small side,but they are better than my backup pc. If you could find out if those discs do play on another stand alone player,then maybe a better dvd-rom drive would play them on your pc.The stand alones are more forgiving in playing discs that may have errors on them.

5. salamura

salamura Member

saugmon
    I am from Turkey and FLY media is a production in my country, too many friends of me using this media, but none of them have a problem like this. For this reason I am suspecting that maybe my 4163B has a hardware problem!

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Media quality is the first thing to check. Since you say that FLY media is made in turkey,that should be the first thing to check. Japan makes the finest media like taiyo yuden and hitachi. Taiwan makes some great media like mitsubishi chemical corp. But taiwan does make some crappy media. Every burner is different as to which brand name,mfg code, of media to what they like.Poor media has to be burned slower and their life-span is very short.

Your specs are low,but turning off all background programs and no mult-tasking will help you out.

Your burner is 20 + days old.

What programs do you use in the dvd backup process and any other dvd program? nero/roxio/sonic/etc
    What version of windows do you have?

If you have XP, go into control panel/system check/hardware/device manager: Open up your IDE controllers and make sure they are set to DMA or UDMA if available. Make sure they are not set to PIO.Poor media can throw off your IDE'S to PIO mode.