1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with my NEC ND 4550A DVD drive

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by davidb77, Jan 24, 2007.

1. davidb77

davidb77 Guest

I wonder if anyone here can help me. I have been using the above drive for around 6 months without any problems. Burns dvd's I create myself using either nero or dvd shrink myself fine.
    However recently it has not been able to read any DVD's that I made using it. These DVD's work fine in a normal DVD player but not on this pc drive. It still burns discs perfectly and it reads CD's that I have burnt fine.
    I don't understand it myself and I am wondering if anyone has come across this problem before and how to correct.
    Thanks in advance

2. kbuilt

kbuilt Member

3. davidb77

davidb77 Guest

Nope never worked. Anybody got any other ideas ?
    Brings up a folder now when I put a dvd in. Empty it says 0 byte , 0 bytes avalabile at the bottom ?

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Did you change anything with your blank media? Change formats,Brand names/different speed rates/or even different spindle of the exact same brand name?

What's the brand name,format,and speed rate of your blank media?

Have you tried the opposite format?

I'm working with a member who has the SonyDru-830A with a similar issue- Burner burns ok,plays on stand alone players,but won't recognize the backups it produces-most likely format issue or his drive doesn't like a certain MID coded media.

5. david66

david66 Regular member

you may need a firmware upgrade for your burner go to WWW.firmwarepage.com and check for newest firmware

6. davidb77

davidb77 Guest

saugmon , I have used varous tyoes of dvd's + - , differnent brand names and not had problems before with this drive.
    Not doing anything different that what I would normally do.
    I am not a beginer when it comes to burning dvd's (no expert either !)
    But I can't understand why it won't read the DVD's I have burnt.
    Trying to update the firmware now and see if that helps