1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with my ps2

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by MentalGuy, Feb 2, 2007.

1. MentalGuy

MentalGuy Member

It's been happening for a while but my ps2 isn't reading most of my games. What I mean is that it will load the game to the title screen but after a minute or two it will freeze. Also it is making a very loud noise, it sounds like scratching of the disc and if the disc was moving/skipping. I tried just cleaning the lens/laser but it did not help. Does this mean there is something wrong with the laser or the modchip?

2. PDogSpcl

PDogSpcl Member

The useful info from your post is that you hear a loud noise. Usually any kind of loud noise is a bad sign of bad hardware. Perhaps disk spinning mechanism is going bad. This will explain why your game freezes because the disk is not spinning properly and therefore not being read accurately.

I would recommend doing research on what hardware makes the disk spin and order the parts online, There are several used PS2 parts vendors online.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  3. steimy

steimy Active member

i agree, there are quite a few things that it could be.
    1. laser voltage is not correct
    2. worm gear is broken or has a worn spot that stops the laser from moving like it should
    3. laser needs adjustment and not just cleaning.
    4. i would not think it was the chip or it would not even load the game in the first place.

more info may help like: what version is your PS2
    what kind of modchip does it have
    are all of these games copied or are some of them originals
    did it just happen suddenly, and before it happened did you do ANYTHING to the Ps2 like clean the laser, drop it, have disc tray problems or other.