1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem With Myst IV: Revelation DVD and CloneCD

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by NWD91, Jan 5, 2005.

1. NWD91

NWD91 Member

I just bought Myst IV: Revelation, which comes on two DVDs. I used CloneCD to make an ISO image of the second DVD, which the game actually looks for to run. I then installed the game, with the first disc in my DVD-ROM drive and the second being read off my hard drive using DAEMON tools 3.47 and emulation enabled. Everything worked fine, until I tried to run the game. The Revelation splash screen popped up for a second, and then a window appeared saying "Myst4.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." I figured that if it was a problem with it not being the original DVD that it was reading from, the game would have told me to insert the correct disc, but instead, there was the standard Windows XP error message. So I put Disc 2 into my DVD drive, and voila, the game worked fine. Because the DVDs are so big (over 6 GB), I can't make hard copies of them, and I'd really like to be able to run it off the hard drive, to improve performance. I looked at an online database, and Revelation uses SafeDisc 3.2, but the CloneCD website (at Slysoft) says that it can backup SafeDisc 3 discs. So I am stumped. Does anyone know anything else to try?

2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

to my knowledge games that are dvd based cannot be copied correctly. until either (or all) clonecd, alcohol 120% and blindwrite update their software, it is not possible to backup dvd games--->> (for pc)

Try using alcohol 120% to make the image then use daemon tools to mount the image to there virtual drive.

3. NWD91

NWD91 Member

In case I wasn't clear, I am not trying to make a copy of the DVD, but rather use a virtual drive as you suggested. I have sucessfully done this with another SafeDisc DVD, The Sims 2. But I did that with a trial of Alcohol 120%, which is now expired. I figured that CloneCD 5 should be able to do the same thing. It seemed to read it properly, with no errors and the correct image size. Is it that Alcohol 120% is somehow better at making DVD images than CloneCD? If so, is my only option to purchase Alcohol 120%?

4. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Clonecd tends to balcklist games. You are be able to copy them but at the same time you will need to uninstall clonecd to be able to play your backup that you made with clonecd.

Your best bet would to purchase Alcohol 120%

Any other questions feel free to ask :)

5. roryoss

roryoss Member

trying to do the same ran Myst IV through clone cd to make an image and mounted it to clone virtual drive it looked identical to the disk but when loaded to a point and then said to insert correct cd in drive!!
    well all i want to do now is locate and delete it and try it with alcohol !! its taking up 6.07 GB of space

6. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

delete the game or clonecd its self? Just go to add an remove programs to delete clonecd and find the folder in which you made the image to ta delete it.

7. roryoss

roryoss Member

the cloned game was what i was trying to delete it did not show where it downloaded
    i did get lucky and find the file split into 6 diff files by searching by size and the date gave it away!!

it was not identified in any way as the files i loaded into the virtual drive and was hard to locate because it was split!!!!!!!!

8. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

why did you split the files?

9. curious8

curious8 Member

I want to do the same as NWD91 tried to do. That is, I want to create an image from the second DVD and mount the image to a virtual drive. I am using Alcohol 120%.
    I got the image which is over 6GB. But, when I try to mount it, I get the error message "invalid image file".
    What might be the problem? Please advise.

I did not use Daemon Tools. I was simply trying to mount from Windows explorer. (e.g. right click on the virtual drive, pick "Mount Image" from the menu.)

10. NWD91

NWD91 Member

I got it to work by using Alcohol to create the image of the second DVD and Daemon Tools to mount it. I didn't try using Alcohol's drive emulator, so I can't be sure if that's why yours isn't working, but I would recommend trying to mount it with Daemon Tools and see if that works. Also, make sure you're using the 8 KB *.MDS file, not the 6 GB *.MDF file.