1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with New Nero Recode 2.2.6.1

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Rook, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Rook

Rook Guest

Hello, everyone. I have been making backups of my DVD's for quite a while now using Nero Recode. I recently updated to the new version (2.2.6.1), and now all of my backups only play the beginning warnings then stop.

I normally use AnyDVD 4.3.0.1 to unprotect my original DVD's. To eliminate AnyDVD as the problem, I used DVD Decrypter 3.5.1.0 instead. Still the same result after Nero Recode.

To prove that AnyDVD and DVD Decrypter are not the problem, I used Alcohol 120% 1.9.2.1705 to mount unprotected images to a virtual drive. These virtual discs played fine.

To make sure there was no conflict with any other applications on my PC, I reformatted and reinstalled it. (It needed it anyway.)

I decided to try CloneDVD 2.5.4.3 and DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15. Both worked fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. Bert1313

Bert1313 Member

I am getting the same problem. Worked fine until updated to new version. I am going to roll back to the older version. If I can find it again that is.

4. kyrainman

kyrainman Guest

I have had similar problems with Nero Recode. I use AnyDVD/CloneDVD 2 exclusively now. No more coasters and my DVD's play in all 3 of my DVD players.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2004
  5. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

There appear to be bugs in version 2.2.6.1 that are not present in the previous version, 2.1.1.24, that was installed with Nero Vision Express 3.0.1.4. I noticed two unique problems, though not the ones listed here.

1.) 2.1.1.24 offers 5 menu items. 2.2.6.1 regress backs to 3, like the version before 2.1.1.24. Only offers Recode an entire DVD, Recode Main Movie to DVD, and Remake A DVD. This may not be a bug, if Ahead/Nero removed the Recode DVD to Nero Digital 2 options.

2.) 2.2.6.1 will not read in contents of virtual drives. It recognizes no video streams that 2.1.1.24 still does.

There is also an ancillary error that when 2.2.6.1 is installed, it does something that breaks virtual drive reads. Even DVDShrink will no longer read virtual drive contents when it is installed. Returns CRC errors on virtual drives, which is not possible, physically. It means the drives aren't there to the app, but, DVD player software still recognizes them as does Windows Explorer.

I have tested this with 2 versions, the current and 1 older build, of each of the following: Nero BR, Nero Recode, DVD D, and Alcohol on a virgin install partition, with just Windows XP SP 1 2002 installed, out of the box. The problem appears to be 2.2.6.1 because it's not present in 2.1.1.24 and can be fixed by uninstalling Nero Vision Express 3 with Add/Remove Programs and then installing Nero Vision Express 3.0.1.4. This uninstalls 2.2.6.1 and installs 2.1.1.24. Unfortunately, reinstalling NVE 3.0.1.4 over 3.0.1.14 does not work. Only uninstalling and reinstalling the older version worked.

So, unless you kept the last installer, you'll probably have to wait until the next Nero release, which is usually the first week of each month, to see if they fix it.

The normal Recode An Entire DVD to DVD still worked, as far as I could tell, because I only discovered my problem 2 days ago. :) Before then, I've used that option many times without problem.

6. zest

zest Member

thanks for this update, after 200+ succesful burns i thought it was me or a virus etc. right now im using the trial version of clonedvd2 , i hope nero gets this straightened out soon
    thanks again

7. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Well, the new version, released on the 10th, 2.2.6.4, still has this problem. But, at least, it gives an error message now. :) "Nero Recode 2 encountered an error and cannot continue Failed to read from file VTS_01_0.VOB The parameter is incorrect" Not that it is very helpful in explaining the error. <G> But, beats finding just blank material on the drive. And, yes, this is the same images mounted as virtual drives that had worked before in the version 2 releases ago.

8. zest

zest Member

yes ive downloaded the new update and am still having the same problem as described by dbminter, i tried to contact nero but so far little help other than remove with clean tools and reload, this doent have any effect

9. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Yeah, I just completed my final test: factory default image restored, Alcohol installed, Nero installed, 01-10-2005 release, NVE installed 01-10-2005 release. Same problem, with the error now, Parameter is incorrect trying to read the VTS_01_0 VOB. Plus, the Recode options dropped from 5 to 3, but, on the first run of Recode, there WERE 5 options. Subsequent runs were only 3. And, discovered another small error. :) I'd only heard about it, but, Nero 6.6.0.5 did have the redraw error on trying to load where the window right side docks with the right side of the Nero splash screen. The app window will then only maximize if you press maximize thrice in a row or minimize the window and then maximize it.

10. zest

zest Member

well i appear to have fixed my copy of recode 2
    i did two things
    1) removed "steam" which is a program that comes with half life 2
    2) removed a p2p program called limeware, actually deleting limeware isnt enough it leaves behind a trojan called dldr made by a company called clicktillyouwin
    do a search on google and you should be able to find a free removal tool made by grokster, norton and zonealarm did not detect or remove this trojan

11. zest

zest Member

also at the opening screen i import the file vidio_ts now and no longer the headline after the dvd drive

12. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

I don't have any PC games installed or P2P. :)

13. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i formatted and that didnt even fix the problem . the only way i could get it to work is to install the previous version .

14. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I was able to use the new Recode v2.2.6.4

I ripped with DVD Decrypter then ran it through Recode. Backup turned out great. Movie was Troy, and I didn't do on the fly.

15. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i didnt do it on the fly either . it would burn all the way to the end and just before it was suppose to finalize the burn would fail saying invalid block address . before i formatted it was saying scsi error aborted . i than uninstalled cleaned with nero's tool and reinstalled the previous version and all is good now. it seems a lot of others are having these same problems . i tried everything to fix this problem and it wasnt going to work . i have another thread on this subject in the software discussions

16. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

sorry should have read the thread title. Did you try the newest version? v2.2.6.4

17. ImL8

ImL8 Member

I had this problem with nero also after updating. What I ended up doing to make it work...
    I rip a dvd to iso using dvd decrypter. I mount that image using alcohol. I then use nero recode to transcode that to an image file. I would get an index error (don't remember the exact error) when I tried to burn that image using Nero Burning Rom. I successfully burned the image with alcohol though.
    I know that's a lot of steps, using too many programs. I am finding easier ways to get that all done now, afterall, I still am a newbie that thought memorex dvd's were worth buying :)

18. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

19. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

The good news is Recode 2.2.6.9 that comes with the latest NVE installer, 3.0.1.27, fixed the problem with the mounted images. It's currently reading in one to a test file as I type. Whereas before it wouldn't read the data, this is a good sign. :)

Nero 6.6.0.6, though, still has the redraw problem in it from the last revision 6.6.0.5, but, not a serious error by any means.

20. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Nope! Spoke too soon! Nero fixed only 2/3 the problem. Recode An Entire DVD and Recode Main Movie will work with mounted images, but, Remake A DVD won't! Still finds no Titles to import off of mounted images. Wonder if Shrink will work, then. Yes, Shrink will work to Remake A DVD without errors. So, that's another problem fixed, where having Shrink installed with a bad Recode would prevent Shrink from reading virtual drives, too.

21. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Sorry, double post caused by the board's timing out on first reply, claiming it wasn't sent. :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005