1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Panasonic DMR-E85H

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Doc Loch, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Doc Loch

Doc Loch Newbie

I just found this website and am hoping someone can help me with a problem I'm having with my Panasonic DVD Hard Drive machine. I've been using this machine for a few years and love it, but last night it stopped in the middle of dubbing something from the hard drive to a disk and showed a "U99" error message. I checked the manual and it says if this message appears to shut down the machine and restart it (the obvious first step whenever there is a problem). Needless to say, the solution was not that simple or I would not be writing for help. When I shut it down and restarted it, the screen came up in "Guide" mode, so I could watch TV but only in a small box in the upper left corner. I usually get out of this mode by clicking return on the remote, but none of the remote functions will work aside from the power button that turns the machine off and on.

I did some research on the Internet and found a way to reset the machine to factory defaults, but when I did that it just reset the timer so I got a blinking "12:00" instead of the time, and now I cannot even get the "Guide" screen to show up. All I'm getting when I turn it on is the "U99" message. On my TV I get a message that no signal is being received from this component. I tried leaving the machine unplugged overnight to see if it would reset itself, but I still just get the "U99" error.

I really want to get this machine working again because I have several things loaded on the hard drive that I have been using for research. As you can probably already tell, I'm not really computer or electronics literate, so I'd appreciate any advice not being given in tech speak.

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope....