1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with PC, don't know if it's Hardware, or Software

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ringo711, Jul 4, 2007.

1. ringo711

ringo711 Member

Had a problem with a missing file on this PC, which is running XP. Lot of rubbish on it so I decided to format something i have done many times.
    This PC turns it's self on and off, when it is running and you touch the mouse it reboots.
    I did manage to reformat, and left it on all night whilst trying to recover some lost data.
    All that is on the PC is XP, and a recovery program, again it cuts out, and is now coming up with a message syaing
    NTLDR is missing, so I need help here please because I don't know what is happening.

2. ringo711

ringo711 Member

I have now found out I need to Fdisk, but the main problem is it will not stay on more than a few seconds.
    I have checked for loose contections they seems fine, but it keeps just going off, I think i can fix the problem once i know what it is?

3. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Is your computer overheating? Open it up and see if all the fans are spinning. Make shure the one on the CPU is spinning as fast as it should be too.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

If NTLDR is missing, I think windows just didnt install correctly. I have gotten this error and fixed it by using a new cd to install. If you have purchased you XP copy then I think it is legal to download yourself a copy and burn it. The new copy should install fine.

5. ringo711

ringo711 Member

The PC is from cold I turn it on and nothing wait a bit and then sometimes it comes on, or the fans will start turning, maybe for just a couple of seconds, this will happen over and over, I was wondering about the power unit?

6. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

Try a different harddrive
    sounds like a controller error
    click start right click my computer click manage click event viewer see if there are any red dots

7. ringo711

ringo711 Member

Thanks, but as i have said it will not power up, so I can't check anything until i find out why it keeps shuting down

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Take out the CMOS battery. Try the power supply in anouther PC.

9. BadBone

BadBone Guest

Hi

Take a visual look at your motherboard and check out the capacitors, especially the ones near the processor. Their tops should be flat, look and see if any of them are bulged on the top.

If not, then i suggest you borrow a power supply and try it in your machine.

I have the exact same problem with a system i'm trying to fix, haven't got a spare power supply though, so i'm stuck.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2007
  10. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

As Badbone said, check the powersupply. Some may be really bad and restart if it goes over the load, others may just do this because its overheating (power supply), could just be the power supply has had its life. Check the RAM too, if the computer writes to a bad part of the ram, it will restart.

11. ringo711

ringo711 Member

Thanks to all it turned out to be the power supply as you had said new fitted no futher problems, (so far)