1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with PC not starting up

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Blighter, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Blighter

Blighter Regular member

Hi guys,

I had/have this strange problem with my PC:

It used to work fine, until one time when I moved it across the country, and then tried to plug it in again. It wouldn't turn on - no power lights, no sounds, no anything. Had a look inside, couldn't see anything wrong, so I just kept taking the power cable out, plugging it back in again then trying the power button. Did this repeatedly for about 5 minutes, and then magically, it turned on. It then worked fine - could turn it off, and back on again, no problem.

However, the same problem occured when I took it back across the country and had to plug it in again. Same problem. Tried the same solution as last time, and again, it took a while (couple of hours), but it turned on again and worked fine.

I also accidentally tripped over the power cable one time and it came out the wall - plugged it back in again and it wouldn't work! Same solution fixed it again though...

Last week, I turned it off from the power button (which i don't normally do, as i normally let it shut itself down), and then it wouldn't turn on again. I felt this was the final straw, so I went to PC World with the idea of getting a new PSU. Explained the problem to the guy, and he told me he had exactly the same problem with a PC he's got (said it was a 'lazy PSU'), and that I just needed to replace it. Bought one, took it home, replaced the old one - unfortunately it didn't work.

I was at a loss then, and was close to giving up. I took it back home, and decided I'd try getting a new motherboard. Got one off ebay for £20 (bargain), however it DID say that they'd just recieved loads of parts and that they were all untested, and may not work. They had lots of good feedback however, so i thought it was worth risking £20 over.

Motherboard arrived today, replaced the old one and kept all the other components. Didn't work either! My confidence with PC's has practically diminished, but I've kept trying to find out what the problem is.

I tried both (the old and new) PSU's with a different motherboard in the house, and they work fine. Also, I took the powerswitch that definitely worked on another PC from it, and tried it with my motherboard, however it didn't turn on. I've also tried different power cables. This makes me think it's the motherboard again.

So, i'm planning on just getting a brand new motherboard (it's socket 754, so hopefully it won't be too expensive), as I'm not sure what else to try. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I was thinking maybe the processor's died - would this stop the PC from whirring up (so that no fans or anything start up)? I'd be absolutely devastated if I get ANOTHER motherboard and find that the processor's the problem! Unfortunately I don't have another working socket 754 motherboard in the house, so I can't try it elsewhere.

I really am grabbing at straws atm? Can anyone suggest any other ideas, or does everyone else still think it's the motherboard that's the problem?

Phew, sorry for the long read guys!

Many thanks,
    Blighter

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Are you possitive that the PSU is plugged into all the right places? Motherborad, Hard drive(s) etc? Does the PSU have enough wattage to support your computer? (If you game, then you should at least have a 500watt PSU)

3. Blighter

Blighter Regular member

Hi, yeah I'm fairly sure.

I tried taking everything out and just plugging in the motherboard (the 4-pin plug into the port near the processor, and the 18(??) pin plug for the motherboard). Tried turning it on and no sound. It has processor, heatsink, fan and RAM in only. Is this all that's necessary to get a reaction when i turn it on? I'm using a switch that I've tested too.

Arghh...

If the processor's broken, would the bios boot still? Should i just go ahead and find another motherboard (socket 754 seems to be on the decline :-( and i don't want to spend too much and upgrade)...

Many thanks,
    Blighter

4. Blighter

Blighter Regular member

Oh and the PSU is a 540 watt PSU, so should be enough...

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wattage is actually irrelevant for power supplies, because the cheap ones 'lie' about how much they can put out. What brand is it?
    Silly little thing, have you tried replacing the mains lead you plug the PC in with?

6. Blighter

Blighter Regular member

It's an antec PSU.

Yes, I've swapped the cable with one that works with another PC, but to no avail.

So looks like people are thinking motherboard still, right?

Many thanks.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it definitely isn't the PSU or the cable, that's all that's left. Even if the CPU is missing, something will happen when you turn the PC on.