1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with PC recognizing DVD Burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Hitman2K5, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Hitman2K5

Hitman2K5 Member

Hello all,

I'm really hoping someone here can help me out, because I'm exhausted at this point. I've used this DVD burner for many months now without a problem, using various programs. I went to make a DVD using DVD Decryptor, which I hadn't used with this PC or burner before. IT froze up, and I rebooted. Ever since, my DVD burner doesn't work correctly. Whenever I put in a blank DVD into the drive, the drive description changes from "DVD RAM" to "CD Drive", and none of my programs recognize it or burn anymore.

Oddly enough, when the drive is empty, it is "DVD RAM", and when I put a full DVD movie or something in there, retail or created, it works fine and the drive description does not change. I've deleted DVD Decryptor, disconnected and reconnected, re-installed drivers, went to manufacturer website, downloaded windows updates...something is really screwed up and I don't know how to fix it.

Thanks for the help!

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Did you flash your burner with firmware that was not from the maufacturer?

3. Ti3st0

Ti3st0 Member

The exact same thing happens with me, except its with DVD-RW drive not "DVD-Ram". It used to work fine, and I burned movies before. Then all of a sudden it doesn't recognize blank dvd-r discs which it used to the day before. When I do put in a blank dvd it turns to CD-ROM or something like that, also sometimes as "Removable Drive", another things is, the dvd-rw drive wont eject the disc, I have to reboot for it to do so. It does recognize though retail dvds and burned ones, also I can burn CD-R discs. Now I haven't doen anything to the drive and it did come with my computer(built in).

The only thing I can think of that messed it up was decrypting the movie I,Robot, which had some form of copy protection, but I doubt it. Does anyone know what the hell could be wrong here?

P.S:Im going to try the blank DVD-R at my brother-inlaw s computer to see if they work there.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005