1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with playback of movies

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bajaboo, Feb 15, 2005.

1. bajaboo

bajaboo Member

I successfully burned a movie and was able to watch it on my playstation. I successfully burned another movie and wasn't able to watch it on my play station, dvd player and computer. Any ideas of what went wrong?

2. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

well it could be a number of things from the little information you give. how about telling us what steps you used during the process? what was the source...dvd, downloaded file? what software(better include shrink since this is the DVD Shrink forum)? and maybe even some basic computer specs. What brand of discs?

3. bajaboo

bajaboo Member

Thank you for the quick reply. I was burning a movie from a disc. I was using a Memorex dvd+r. I think I am using Nero shrink. If I copy a disc that I bought, it works. If its a disc that I rented, it doesn't work. Do you think it has a block on the rented ones? Could that be the problem?

Thank you for your response.

4. bajaboo

bajaboo Member

I'm sorry, The DVD shrink I am using is 3.2. Does that make more sense? Nero is the burner I am using.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Dvd shrink and nero are my main programs.A very good combo for me.
    You said you are using memorex +r: I take it that is your media,but could it be your burner's brand name?

Your media is the first thing to check. If it is memorex +r slow down that burn speed.Memorex are not highly recommended unless you know which ones are the good ones.In the future,get some good media-less problems.

Since you are having trouble with a newer rental dvd,many more senarios can happen. The newer dvd's have newer encryptions on them to make them harder to rip.

What is the name of this rental dvd?

Some older rental dvd's may be damaged,making backups from these are very hard.

Some of these newer encryptions,dvd shrink needs help cracking them. Anydvd is the name of that program that will help dvd shrink. It runs in the background.

Also dvd decrypter can help crack the newer encryptions. It is free and you can download it here.Just check out the guides here: http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html

Download this free version of dvdinfopro, It will tell you the manufacturers codes and also has a disc scan that you can check your backups for errors. http://dvdinfopro.com

That's why zippyd asked you for more info. It can be many different things.Media quality is the #1 issue for dvd burning.The poor crap can really screw us up big-time.

6. bajaboo

bajaboo Member

Hi,
    Thank you again for the quick response. The info you provided is very helpful. I am using the dvd decrypter as well. I think i'll try a slower dvd disc as suggested instead of the memorex +r. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you sooo much for all this info.

bajaboo

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey Bajaboo, for pretty good media: I refer many people to maxell.I use quite a bit of them in both + and - formats and haven't run into any junk manufacturer codes.

Most major brands of media use multitple manufacturers for that same brand-they outsource them. This means the manufacturer "ricohjpn-01" can produce discs for maxell,sony,teon,verbatim and many other brand names. Some of them even have a poorer manufacturer like c-magnetics make their media.

When switching to different spindle/package quantities, those different mfg codes may show up.

Maxell is a very reputable brand name. All the manufacturers that produce their media are very good to great quality. I have used some from nearly all their manufacturers and in different quantity lots. All of their manufacturers are: mxlrg/maxell/ricohjpn/ty/ritek/and hitachi.
    They are easy to get at your local stores.Look for Made in Japan on the upc symbols on those labels.Those will be the best ones maxell makes.I find them on sale for under 40 cents a piece.Office depot has them buy 1/get 1 free for $35 for spindles of 50- nice price.

Taiyo yuden are said to rank among the best.You usually have to buy them off the net,unless you know which sony,fuji and maxell's that were made by ty.

Ritek is a very good media.Again you have to buy off the net.

Verbatim media life plus. These are made by mcc- Mitsubishi chemical corporation. Very good media.

Fuji's, I haven't tried them but looks like they have some very good manufacturers.

Check out the different mfg codes on dogbombs thread near the top of the dvd-r media forum. Notice all the brand names that use cmc- cmags as one of their manufacturers. Those are the ones you want to be cautious with.Really check out the memorex codes,they are pretty scary,but they do have some decent media. That's the hard part,figuring out which memorex's are the good ones, "prodisc"

8. bajaboo

bajaboo Member

Thank you for the quick reply. I will definately take your advice and try again. I'm still a little new to this but I'm making my way through it thanks to you guys helping me.

Thanks again....have a good one!

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey bajaboo, Take your time,stick with good media,Print off some of these guides and burn on. There are lots of resources at your disposal here at AD.

Good Luck