1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with playing back dvd shrink'd movies!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rtouma, Feb 24, 2005.

1. rtouma

rtouma Guest

I hired a movie and tried to copy it using dvd shrink 3.2 which i downloaded from this site.I recorded it onto a TDK DVD-R 1-8X, 4.7GB.The process worked out beautifully.I put the movie in my DVD player and it started ok but 20min in and the screen paused and there was no sound.Then the picture skipped to another sceen with a second of sound and the same freezing action.This just kept on repeating until i'd had enough and stopped the movie.What went wrong?? I've also downloaded DVD2one,DVD decrypter,DVD43 and AnyDVD but not sure on how or which one to use??Please help!!!

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

What speed are you burning at? Try to keep it at 4x or lower even if everything is capable of higher speeds. Have you tried the movie in a different player? Try to play it using the same drive you burned it in. If it plays fine there, then it's probably a compatibility issue between the media and the player and can be resolved by different media (or a different player). If it doesn't play fine in the burner drive, it could be junk media or a bad burn, which could come from too fast of a burn speed or just a bad burner. I hope that helps.

3. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

rtouma--
    What program did you use to burn? You said you used Shrink--DVD Decrypter or Nero can be used easily with Shrink. But, It soundl like your problem may be the media. Try a different brand--Sony, Maxell--look around these threads and you will find that a lot of problems like yours are caused by inferior disks--some players prefer certain types--

Whitfield

4. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Hehe--Squizzle--You beat me too it--

Whitfield

5. rtouma

rtouma Guest

thanks guys 4 ur quick replies!!i'll give it a shot and let you know how i went.

6. rtouma

rtouma Guest

To squizzle, I played the dvd on the same drive that i burned it and it's working fine.so now when i use the dvd shrink r u suggesting to burn at a lower speen so that i may b able to watch my dvd's on a normal dvd/video player. Thanks for ur advise!!

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If it burnt fine with no problems during the burn then the problem is not the burn speed. Now what it could be are the following and starting from the top is the most likely..
    1. Poor media or standalone player just doesn't like that brand. (check what the manufacturer suggest)
    2. To much compression (How far did you end up compressing the movie?)
    3. Are you putting label's on your disk's?
    4. Could just be you are not doing the best process (check out my guides at my website link is in my sig)

8. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

I am just curious on how the compression would make an affect?, I know the more you compress the less of picture quality you will get.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Some player, but not all will have problems playing a movie that has been compressed to much. I have experianced this personally while doing some testing mainly with the episode disks. When I did the whole disk with about 47% compression they would only play on 2 of the 6 DVD players I have, but when I reauthored these same episodes and split them up onto 2 DVD's with no compression they will then play on every DVD player I have.
    well logic would say the worse the quality of the picture the more problems your player could have playing them.

10. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Lets say a movie had a disc two with special features, and i wanted only a piece (or could be the whole disc 2) but to keep it simple only a piece(like the deleted scenes lets say) how would i be able to put that on one disc, along with disc one the main movie>?

If i confused anyone let me know and i will try to clarify.

Thanks for the help;

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Man I'm going to make a guide for doing episodes on a disk. That would be done virtually the same way using Shrink in reauthor mode.. Guide comming very soon I'm working it now...

12. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Ok thanks bbmayo..

Good luck..

13. rtouma

rtouma Guest

I went to ur site and it's great for those "dummies" out there like me!But i have a small question.What is the difference with DVD shrink,DVD decrypter and Nero.I mean what r they specifically used for and y need them all??

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

OK I will be quick because I gotta run

Shrink - Used to compress, rip and reauthor DVD

Decrypter - Used to Rip and Burn DVD [ISO mode only]

Nero - The all around burning suite

Now you you dont need them all but you do need 2 of them in these combos. [Shrink/Decrypter] [Shrink/Nero]
    Or if you have a dual layer disk you can get by with just [Decrypter]