1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with reading my burnt DVDs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Student, May 11, 2004.

1. Student

Student Member

Hi, I hope this has not been answered elsewhere, i have searched but could not find anything directly related.

This is my problem....

I start with avi's/xvid films that i have downloaded, then using MainConcept Mpeg Encoder I create an mpeg of the film.
    After this, i then create vobs using TMPGEnc DVD Author and once these are created shrink them down using DVD Shrink, so that they are the right capacity for a standard DVD-R.
    Burn these new vobs with Nero 6 as normal at 2x onto Ritek Grade A 4.7Gb Printable Blank DVD media.

My main problem occurs when I try and play back the dvd using Cyberlink PowerDVD. The film runs fine for a about 30 minutes, and when I skip the film through PowerDVD comes up with an error, saying that the disc is possibly damaged etc.

However, the disc looks perfect, and I have been recommended that Ritek Grade A should be almost 100% and thus no errors should occur due to the disc's.

Could someone please give me any guidance?!?!?!

Grateful of any help....

Andy/Student.

2. Student

Student Member

Cont.

I use a Pioneer DVR-104 writer with the updated firmware to enable high speed media to be read.

I bought my DVDs from CDR Media, and I have just read some bad things about them in the media section. Is this possibly due to the fact that the "Grade A" dvds that I supplied aren't actually Grade A and something worse in quality. These are the ones I was given, in a spindle tub instead of bulk wrapped.

http://www.cd-rmedia.co.uk/cgi-bin2/details.pl?id=ritekpr4x

Cheers for any advice...

Andy

3. Student

Student Member

Can nobody help me?

4. Student

Student Member

Come on someone must be able to help me! I'm getting fed up of making coasters...

Andy

5. tony6403

tony6403 Member

First I have to say that I am no expert in these matters , but it seem to me that you may be using a trial version of the software. This does cut out after 30 mins or so .

Good luck anyway

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

First thing to keep in mind Andy is that we're not here on call for you so don't get your panties in a twist if we don't answer immediately.

It's possible you recieved some of the junk Riteks that some vendors are selling. I live in the States so I'm not expert on which are the good Riteks to buy in the U.K. although there is a thread in our Media section that has the pictures and names of the good ones.

Have you been able to burn any sucessful copies? Will the questionable copies play in another pc or player?

7. Student

Student Member

Is there any programs that can scan the discs to check whether they are faulty and a bad batch? Heard mentioned something to do with Nero and a disc checker.

All the copies I have burnt seem to bugger up when I skip through. Whether or not its the MPEG encoder I am using that has the problem, may try it with TMPGEnc instead and follow the guide on here.

I have tried the copies on other comps and using differnt software to play, sometime they work, sometimes not.

A

8. Student

Student Member

Could my problem be possibly linked with the frame rate?

The file avi that i have is 23fps or NTSC and I am converting the mpeg using PAL (25fps).

Will this affect the burning and reading of the dvd?

Andy

9. grogey

grogey Guest

[​IMG]
    Andy,

First let me say well done on searching for solutions to your problems b4 posting. We appreciate that. Here are a couple of points for you to consider:
    1)Members may have been tentative in responding to your post with the mention of downloading movies - we don't get into that area - you can read the forum rules to see the policy on that.

2DVDInfoPro is a program that will scan your disc for any read errors. I use it frequently and find it excellent. There is also a media information component so it will report the true media id code for the disc in the drive - that way you will be able to tell if you have RitekG04s or something else.

3Check the structure of the DVD - I have found this happens in PowerDVD occasionally where it doesn't recognise the format of how the files are put together.........one way of checking this is to try and copy the disc with Nero - it is pretty fussy on what it accepts as a DVD-Video.

Hope that helps you in some way.

10. Student

Student Member

Cheers grogey for your reply.

Sorry bout the d/l thing, will keep it stum from now on.

I have just done a read test for errors on one of the dvds i have burnt, and it did not find any read errors.

I have also done a media read as well, and the DVD media appeared to be RITEKG04.

I have a jpeg of the media test screen but i do not know how to post it, so not sure whether its all there and correct.

11. Student

Student Member

Update to my problem, I have tested some other dvds and they all do the read test fine.

However, the problem occurs when I skip through the DVD in PowerDVD and after about 1hr of play, an error occurs saying the following...

"Error Code 89020003
    The DVD disc might have been damaged so as to inhibit playback operation.
    Please clean the surface of the disc if possible. If it has been scratched, it might not be readable."

Any ideas on this quandry? Is it the discs? the encoding method? the encoding region(PAL/NTSC)? The burning (Nero 6)? DVD Shrink?

Any ideas pls advise me. This is really hacking me off now...too many coasters....

Andrew

12. grogey

grogey Guest

Ok Andy, - student..........I do understand just how frustrating something like this can be......I've certainly been there and done that! But honestly the only way to work out just what the problem is - is to take one step at a time and work your way through a few key areas until you hit the jackpot. So you can remain the student & I'll attempt to tutor you (pardon the pun) on a few ideas. Unfortunately there are no hard and fast rules because each person has a system unique to them..........

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/84288 this is a link to my guide for solving inconsistent burns.....make sure you bookmark it. In that same thread you'll also find a link to vurbal's guide which has some other great food for thought: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/77810

So starting at the very beginning check for software clashes. You said you used Nero to burn the disc - do you also have Roxio installed on your computer? Do you have your IMAPI CD burning service disabled?

If the answer is no to Roxio and you already have your IMAPI disabled - then head over to the link I've given you and start working your way through step by step. It may be a very simple thing - like your firmware version doesn't like the Ritek discs. Or maybe you need to check your data cables and what hardware you have installed on each IDE channel. The basic info is all in the thread and I'll be back to check if you have any more queries as you go along.

If it is an encoding problem - then that is out of my area at present......so I'd suggest you check everything else first and then if necessary ask for more help along that score.

Good Luck!

13. Student

Student Member

I dont have Roxio, I have Veritas Record DX on the pc as well as Nero 6.

What is the IMAPI CD Burning? and where do I disable it?

Regards the firmware, it has just been updated and i have tried it with Ritek and Bulkpag discs and still messes up.

Will try that link you gave me and get back, just in case it is something else but IMAPI etc.

Andy

14. grogey

grogey Guest

15. Student

Student Member

Grogey,

Is it possibly the Nero version i am using. Think the one i have is Nero 6.0.0.0 Ultra with plugins. Should I get the updated one? 6.3.??

Andy

16. grogey

grogey Guest

There have been quite a few updated versions since 6.0.0.0 - the reason is that it was considered quite buggy.

After doing a quick search I discovered some of the issues raised were:
    [​IMG] Low write speed.
    [​IMG] Lead-in problem.
    [​IMG] Failure to finalize discs.
    [​IMG] Simulation won't work.
    [​IMG] Doesn't recognize hardware............just to name a few.

So yep....toddle yourself off to Nero and download the update. It shouldn't cost you anything as your existing serial number should work.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Grogeybear
    My best advice for NEWBIES is:"use the search function.
    THE BEST REVENGE IS TO LIVE A GOOD LIFE
    Aim for Charm not Perfection
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2004
  17. Student

Student Member

Hi grogey,

Will try another burn today, with not touching the comp or anything.

But first,

I used the Nero InfoTool to check out my system, and after noticing on that link u gave me, that there was stuff to do with primary master etc and slave.

Found my set up to say this...

Primary IDE Channel
    Master: Maxtor HDD
    DMA On

Secondary IDE Channel
    Master: Pioneer DVR 104 Writer
    DMA On
    Autorun On

Slave: ASUS CD Drive
    DMA Off
    Autorun On

Is this as it should be? reading through the discussion i got lost...

Andy

18. Student

Student Member

Also, dunno if someone can answer this for me...but the film i trying to encode and burn has frame rate 23.976 fps, and previously i have encoded it using PAL i.e. 25fps. Will this made a difference to the way it writes and is played? Could this be the problem?

A

19. grogey

grogey Guest

Your set-up is fine for transferring data from your hard-drive to your burner - you have them on separate IDE channels which is ideal and I notice that you have DMA enabled on the HD and your DVD Burner.

Any reason why you have your DMA disabled on your CD DRive? If that is infact a DVD-Rom then I'd do two things.......put the DVD-Rom as Primary Slave and then enable DMA. That way should you want to try any On The Fly burns you'd have optimum configuragion - i.e. Reader drive and Burner Drive on separate IDE channels.

Can't help with your frame rate queries - out of my league.

Check your data cables next - if you have any spare ones try swapping them over......... check that they are plugged in correctly and not twisted and caught in anything.

Then make sure you are using the latest version of Nero - which is Version 6.3.1.10. If you aren't then take the time to download an update.

For your next step do the msconfig thing - and disable everything, burn the disc and then try the error read test or to play it and see what happens. If you get a good burn then the problem may be some of your other software or services are interferring with Nero....... Very important to not be doing anything else on puter at this time.

Then you can decide whether you want to further investigate what it is that is interferring and either uninstall that particular program or just make sure you disable it or do the "msconfig thing" before you start burning. Did we talk about your firmware version yet?? Oh well what I've already suggested is probably enough just for now.

Let me know how you get on.

make note to self to remember to put the (/b) end bracket thingy where I want bold to stop - sick of having to go back in and add it later LOL Only seem to forget on bold.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Grogeybear
    My best advice for NEWBIES is:"use the search function.
    THE BEST REVENGE IS TO LIVE A GOOD LIFE
    Aim for Charm not Perfection
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2004
  20. Student

Student Member

IT WORKS :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Just burnt, encoded etc etc without touching the pc whilst it was busy, and damn it works :D

The dvd dont bomb out like it did in PowerDVD, or pixelate. I reduced the vobs as you said to around 4350-4360MB and it works excellent. This is only testing on the computer, so the real test will be on the home dvd player, which will occur this wkend, but thanks for the help grogey, much appreciated and i will come back if it plays up again

A