1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with Signs backup...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sox2k4, Feb 15, 2005.

1. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

ok i am backing up Signs the way i always do with my collection of over 150 already.....i use Dvd Decrypter and Intervideo DVDCopy 3. always works like a charm. so i burn Signs off to disc and pop it into the player and it won't even play. i am using Ridata media (4x) and burning with a brand spanking new Plextor PX-716UF burner. what gives? i have no idea. btw - the dvd player is just displaying "30." on the LED.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Well, DVDCopy3 is a great program and I use it all the time. However, I've noticed that on occasion it will run into particular DVDs ripped with Decrypter, that it will not burn. I tried recording the entire disc of "Resident Evil, Apocalypse" and it only did the trailers and extras and then popped the disc out. I didn't mess around to see if it was the structure due to the rip or if AnyDVD would record on the fly or if movie only would work. I just decided to take the easy way out and recorded with another program.

Point being, there is a flaw in there somewhere, but it's only happened to me a couple of times. Check the burn pattern on the back of the DVD to make sure you got a full burn. Also, check the disc on the PC to see if the files are the size they're supposed to be. Compare the file size of the DVD to the Decrypter file you burned. Did you try playing the ripped file on the HDD to see if there was a problem with it?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2005
  3. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

thanks man - will try Shrink for this one.... maybe they will issue an update for the program someday.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Depends on where the problem is. As I said, I didn't pin it down. I took the easy route. So, I don't really know where to lay the blame, Decrypter or DVDCopy3. Just wanted you to know it was happening to others as well. With the new encryption systems, Shrink has to have files ripped by Decrypter or AnyDVD or one of the other updated decrypters.

5. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

well for whatever reason DVD Copy only burned 2.93GB when it was supposed to burn a full disc......it successfully went through the burning process to 100%. hmmmm

off to see the Shrink :)

6. MarkNZ

MarkNZ Regular member

7. brobear

brobear Guest

sox2k4
    As I mentioned, with DVDCopy3, you have one of the best programs on the market. None of the programs are perfect. Since Shrink is free, it makes a perfect backup app, especially if you're not wanting to invest any more money. The AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 combo is good, but is retail as well. They have a good trial though. http://www.slysoft.com The AnyDVD works with DVDCopy3 as well as just about any other recording app.

8. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

fyi - tried to let DVD Copy burn the files (ripped w/ Decrypter) again to an RW to see if i got a different result - same thing happened.

i think i will tonight try the on the fly copy to see if it changes anything and let you know.

9. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

let me ask you this (if you don't mind)....

in your opinion, is the encoding (transcoding i should say) that DVD Copy 3 uses better than say what CloneDVD or DVD Shrink uses? or is it the same? (by better i mean visual quality on the output)

it is definitely much faster at the encoding process than anything else that i have used.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

DVDCopy3 has a better encoding software. It works better under higher compression. Some noticable flaws caused by higher compression are skipping, pixelation, and some blurring of the video. These will be more noticable with Shrink and CloneDVD2. Shrink isn't as bad if you use the deep analysis and quality settings. Those settings increase the time. If I'm going to invest that much time, I go ahead and use RB/CCE to do a better job.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

With the programs mentioned. Shrink without the quality settings being used would be the first to show problems. Used properly though, CloneDVD would probably show problems first. With most DVDs, there isn't enough compression to make the problems noticable. It's the big blockbuster size movies where the problems creep in.

12. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

thanks for the info brobear. well i am now officially hooked forever on CCE/Rebuilder. this is so amazing - i literally cannot tell the difference in the original dvd9 and complete dvd5 copy!! CCE Basic was the best investment i could make as far as dvd copying is concerned.

i see others who argue that CCE/Re isn't the best on these forums regularly.....those individuals are lying to themselves. Shrink, CloneDVD, DVDCopy, DVD2One - they all cannot make complete copies of dvd9s that are truly undistinguishable. small price to pay (waiting...usually 3-4 hours). this is not even to mention that it is the only (that i know of) prog that offers batch processing.

btw - i am using Nero to burn the files to disk. tried the ImageTool that mr. bass toutes on his website and didn't care for it too much.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

sox2k4
    Nero is a good burning suite. If you have the Ultra, then you have a good transcoding program there as well with the Recode2. I use the CopyToDVD as well as the Nero. I think both are outstanding.

Glad to see you like the RB/CCE. It is a great setup. It is one of my favorites. However, I don't use it exclusively. For a lot of backups I use DVDCopy3 (better than DVDCopy2). A good transcoder can do a good job as long as the compression isn't too high. When the compression gets high and quality is still desired, that is where RB/CCE outshines the others. You'll find I'm not the only fan of RB/CCE who uses a transcoder app when the compression isn't too high.