1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Smartpar / Winrar verifying

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by MisterEd, Oct 19, 2003.

1. MisterEd

MisterEd Member

I just downloaded about 70 "RAR" files that are in the following format (note the "_" underscores):

NAME_NAME_NAME_PART01.RAR
    NAME_NAME_NAME_PART02.RAR
    etc etc up to
    NAME_NAME_NAME_PART70.RAR

There are also 10 "PAR" files in this format:

NAME_NAME_NAME_NAME.p01 through p10

So now I run SMARTPAR on the PAR files and it verifies the PAR files all fine but when it gets to the RAR files I get the error:

NAME.NAME.NAME.PART01(through PART70).RAR NOT FOUND

Note that the files not found have "periods" between the names and not underscores while the original downloaded files have underscores.

OK, so I figure the RAR files are misnamed so I change them all to have "." instead of "_" between them. I rerun SMARTPAR and get the same error. The files ARE there but SMARTPAR can't find them.

They are all (pars and rars) in the same folder (I tried the root of C as well as a subdirectory.

I've never had this problem before. What am I missing ?

Thanks,
    Ed

Last edited: Oct 19, 2003
  2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Um.... have you just tried extracting?

3. MisterEd

MisterEd Member

Yes I have but there are a few corrupt RAR files and 1 missing (the download was over a gig in size) so I need the PARS.

In any case, I solved the problem (for anyone else interested). SmartPar creates some temp files when running. By looking at those temp files I was able to see what file names the PAR files were actually looking for. The file names the PARS were looking for were totally different then either the intial RAR download names OR the "???? file missing" names generated by SmartPar while verifiying.

I found another Par Extraction program called FSRAID. FSRAID actually told me what I found in the SmartPar temp file AND automatically changed the 70 file names to their proper name.

Problem solved ... thanks to finding 1 needle in a haystack on Google. The key was the *.tmp files generated by Smartpar.

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

5. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried renaming the .RAR files the way smartpar expects them?

6. tigre

Somehow offtopic:

Does it already support PAR2? I haven't found any info about that on their page - ATM the only GUI that does support PAR2 is Quickpar AFAIK.
    Main advantages:
    - .PAR file size is not limited anymore
    - Block size is adjustible and 32767 instead of 255 Blocks are possible; not 1 file = one block anymore.
    This makes it a great sollution for adding recovery info to backup CD-R(W)s.

7. MisterEd

MisterEd Member

That is exactly what I did (see my original message) but it didn't work. The only way I could find out what smartpar REALLY wanted was to look into the temp file it generated (see my second message). What it SAID it couldn't find wasn't correct .... the temp file was the clue.

8. tigre

Oops ... Actually I wrote my 1st response after Praetors answer but didn't hit "Reply" for some reason. So I didn't noticed "Problem solved" - And I should have re-read your 1st post before finally posting the next day. Nevermind ;) Good that you found a sollution.

9. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Me confused... so is the problem dealt with? :)

10. tigre

Seems so.