1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Spider Chip

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Todd513, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Todd513

Todd513 Member

I just installed my spider chip on version 1.6 and checked it over about 10 times. Im pretty sure i installed it correctly. My installation instructions said that u can check it by hooking your xbox up without the dvd or hard drive and you should see a booting animation. I tried it and the xbox powered on and then back off twice, and the 3rd time it stayed on but the ring around the eject button was flashing green and red. The whole time the screen was blank, there was no animation. (i also noticed that only 2/5 of the holes on the motherboard are all the way through the board. The other 3 arent but the wires can still rest in them)

has anyone has this problem, does anyone know whats wrong or how to fix it, thanx

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  2. evileyez3

evileyez3 Member

sounds like the chip's pogo pins is not sitting down and getting a good connection to the LPC holes. the screw spiderchip.com supplies you with has smaller threads and doesn't lock as well. try placing the original screw back in with the chip. Good luck.

3. Todd513

Todd513 Member

I tried using the original screw and checked the pogo pins but it still did the same thing.... Do u think it could just be a faulty chip?

4. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

hello. I am not trying to go off subject or anything, just i am about to purchase a spider chip, and since you already did, i was wondering where you got it and also if the main chip itself always comes solderless(so you don't have to buy attachments). Thanks!

5. lifesucks

lifesucks Member

I had the exact same prob but and I ended up striping my screw drive trying to get it to work, I ended up exchanging my friends 1.0v xbox cuz it is easier

6. Todd513

Todd513 Member

I got it from modchipstore.com but so far havent had any luck with it. You do not have to buy anything other than the chip, it comes with everything you need..... The wires just rest in holes on the motherboard instead of you soldering them in.....

it doesnt matter what version u have its solderless 1.0 - 1.6 but i have 1.6 and its not working so if u have 1.6 u might want to check with some other people and see if they have had any luck

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  7. evileyez3

evileyez3 Member

i installed the spiderchip on my cousin's 1.6 and it works fine. however, we were having problems with the chip sitting down on the Mobo, so we used the orginial screw (T10) and it's been working great.

8. lifesucks

lifesucks Member

I installed it and it worked fine, but now after I finally got every thing working, but ya my chip slowly unscrewed and now my other screw hole is stripped so I have a v1.6 and a v1.0 xbox and two stripped holes and a nonrefundable spiderchip! It would work fine with either xbox if I could somehow get a better screw hole!

9. kainis2k

kainis2k Member

hi Todd513, I have a version 1.6 xbox and guess what, I bought my spiderchip v1.1 from www.ModChipStore.com as well. I already put in a couple tickets on their website and actually recieved some shitty answers:

ME:
    I just purchased the Spiderchip Solderless Mod v1.1 for the xbox from you guys and I ran a check on my xbox (the test that your site provided with checking the video card and ram) and found out I was using an xbox v1.6, I found this out by selecting the video card that says Xcalibur on it and the Samsung ram chip that was from the choices, these also matched my xbox. This chip is supposedly xompatible with my xbox. I have already tried installing and reinstalling the mod chip and it still does not work. I think there either may be a malfunction in the chip, or the diagrams on spiderchip.com for v1.1 just isn't correct. Either way, I would like to hear a response from you guys on what I should do about this. Also, I will be needing a link to the CORRECT diagram if there even is a such thing. I already checked many times to make sure that I followed the directions properly but it still isnt working. I await your response. Good day.

THEM:
    THis chip will work perfectly with your 1.6 console just follow the directions:

On some newer Xbox motherboards (1.6 and 1.6B) Microsoft has laquered the full motherboard, thus covering some of the holes the SpiderChip uses in installation. You might need to open these holes up a bit to insert and get the full connection.

Also, the SpiderChip version 1.1 has new installation tutorials. See those here:

Tutorial for Spiderchip v1.0 - Installation in XBOX v1.0 to v1.6b - ENGLISH
    For Spiderchip v1.1, few wires are inverted to simplify the installation.
    Installation diagram for Spiderchip v1.1 on xbox v1.6/v1.6b
    A new version of the tutorial will be online very soon. For xbox v1.0-v1.5, refer to the old tutorial, except that the D0 is the E wire on the spiderchip v1.1 (instead of the D wire on the spiderchip v1.0)

"So I'm like okay... I could've found that out for myself but oh well."

ME AGAIN:
    how am I supposed to "open the holes"? What can I use to do this? and should I worry about damaging my xbox? from what I can see, all the wires are going into place and they are at least going down into the holes by 1-3mm. Also what does it mean when it says "refer to the old tutorial, except that the D0 is the E wire on the spiderchip v1.1 (instead of the D wire on the spiderchip v1.0)" from that reply? D0? This is very confusing for people that are still novice modders.

THEM:
    the D0 is a point on the xbox, and the OLD spiderchip v1.0 had the "D" wire going to the D0 point on the Xbox. Well the new spider chip v1.1 has the "E" wire going to the D0 point, it is a very common installation error. To make contact you just have to get the wire in there to touch, you can always use a soldering iron to soften the solder to poke it through but it has to make contact for it to work. Sometimes its the one you least expect to have a contact problem.

"Ok so I took this into consideration... Next post."

ME:
    well right now, I'm more or less convinced that I am following the diagrams that are from that link for the spiderchip v1.1 and its not working. all of the wires are in place, and the LED light is coming on. It's either not working properly or someone made a mistake in the directions because I've taken the chip out and reinstalled it around three times already. What would I need to process a return because I'm close to convinced that the chip is not compatible with my xbox.

THEM:
    That chips is compatible with EVERY xbox manufactured, so it is compatible with YOUR xbox too. If you get the Blue LED it means your installation is succesfull and you need to flash the chip with a bootable xbox disc that you have burned. You can find more information at www.spiderchip.com

"Punks got smart with me and started to treat me as if I'm some stupid retard that can't follow instructions. Notice also how he said that if the LED light is coming on that the installation was sucessful."

ME:
    actually, if the blue LED illuminates, that means the chip is recieving power but that doesnt mean that the installation is sucessful. When I turned the xbox on with the chip enabled, then the xbox powered itself on and off and on the third try, it turned red and yellow at the status light. What is at www.spiderchip.com is not in detailed in any way of how to install a spiderchip v1.1, all it gives is a diagram. Just because I'm just a novice when it comes to this stuff doesn't mean I'm totally ignorant as to not follow instructions. I would expect real answers rather than links. I know that you guys have been having problems with other people trying to install this chip. I also need to know because you told me to open the holes earlier how you propose I do this without messing up my board. I'll keep trying this but I still have a strong feeling that either the chip is messed up or again, the directions the website and you are giving me are not the correct ones.

"I just closed the topic after that so I could post a new one... They still haven't answered my new ticket that I posted yesterday."

But anyways... I still have that same problem as you... When I power up the xbox, 3 times on and off but I get that flashing red and green alternating with my status light... I'm currently in the process of trying to return it unless they come up with a diagram thats actually accurate... That makes me mad now... I'm pretty sure that the diagram is not correct for all 1.6 xboxes maybe even for all 1.6 versions... I'll try modding my friends xbox tomorrow with it and see what I can do... If I get the same result, then it may just be an issue with the chip... Really wish I could take pictures but every time I get so close, it blurs the shot. (ARGH) Anyways... Keep me posted with your progress... Me, vice versa... :p

10. K.KEONET

K.KEONET Guest

need help bought spider chip v1.1 \have xbox v1.0\install E wire into DO location\got blue light \what suppose to happen next\is there suppose toboot up w/cromwell bios screen or regular xbox animation screen or am i suppose to insert xbox boot disc\help dont know what to do/got power and booting up w/normal xbox animation

11. kainis2k

kainis2k Member

theres a tutorial at www.spiderchip.com.
    it says to just follow the tutorial for 1.0 and remember that the D0 wire is the "E" wire on the spidership v1.1
    you need to research before you post. not to mention you are way off topic.

12. downcrash

downcrash Member

"you need to research before you post. not to mention you are way off topic."

Are you kidding me kainis2k? You lay down a mile and a half long post about your problem with the spider chip and the half ass answers you got from modchipstore.com... Then someone comes onto the board posting a somewhat similiar problem and they are wrong for doing it. Lol, you complain that modchipstore just tells you that your doing something wrong and to look at the tutorial and then you tell the guy hey go look at the tutorial.

13. kainis2k

kainis2k Member

obviously if you knew anything about our problem, you would know what YOU are talking about. The only reason I posted that was to show how bad a service www.modchipstore.com has and that either the chips they produce are faulty or that the chip itself doesnt work. His question was way off topic, all he had to do is research. Unlike us, we already went through the tutorial all all that bs. The only reason why we are posting here is because we have already been through all that. If you even knew what you were talking about you wouldn't have posted here either. Also this is not a similar post, he just didn't read close enough and research. Turns out you also have this same problem with not being able to read. Either that or you just really are retarded because you can't comprehend what the hell this post was about in the first place. Also it's not just any complaint, go to any other forum and ask anybody else thats had problems with product from those guys. I'm just sorry that I didn't take the time to notice what shit products they produced/distributed. Also their tech support people know jack shit about what they're talking about which is revealed in my previous post if you would have read it all the way through.

14. screwston

screwston Guest

OK A lot of people know how to flash and do the dashdoard stuff but can anyone post the step by step instructions on how to do everything for people like me that don't know anything about this. I read the tutorials at the spiderchip website and followed all the directions but I also read that the Cromwell Bios can not boot backups of original games. Here are some Questions that I hope can be answer: After you install the spiderchip what is the next step? What would Evox auto installer do what would M8plus Bios do? If you install this together, what can you do with the xbox besides changing the HDD?

15. kainis2k

kainis2k Member

well I'm pretty sure it will let you use any bios. You might wanna check their website, it might tell you there... Mostly mods are for unlocking ur HD/ Exchanging the hard drive for larger one/playing burned games and well basically in some cases, doing just what a computer does... Again, all depends on your modchip. Spiderchip I'm convinced really sucks. I've tried to submit tickets so I can return the product already and its been 48 hours, no reply yet. They (www.modchipstore.com) don't even have an 800 number... As for the live chat support... Can't seem to find that anywhere... All a bunch of BS.

16. Todd513

Todd513 Member

Alright everyone.. i found the SOLUTION. It thanks to Kainis i found out that the problem was the liquered motherboard on Xbox version 1.6. What modchipstore failed to mention after asking twice was how to open the holes. I did some experimenting and found out how.

Use an exacto knife with a fine point like the one shown at http://www.wayaadisi.com/chainmail/graphics/cutout2.jpg

Stick the point on the knife in the necessary holes and twist it while applying a little pressure (it doesnt take much)...
    then try installing the chip... let me know if this works for you.

17. downcrash

downcrash Member

First I do not know why you assume I don't know what everyone is talking about, I mean... I'm the one who has a working spider chip not you... :) The thread was not started by you, it was started with the subject "Problem with Spider Chip"... you joined in and made it your personal attack on a website. Actually,K.KEONET's post is much more relevant to the topic than yours.
    Do you really have to revert to name calling on a message board?... I mean I am sure if you and I were arguing in say a bar or your little sister's bedroom you wouldn't be half as tough. Don't be a cyber cowboy, use your noggin. But anyway, I gotta say I am happy I made a difference. Go ahead and look, screwston asked almost the same question as K.KEONET... and you were a lot nicer to him. Maybe you should be more considerate and not attack people who are, just like you, looking for help.

18. kainis2k

kainis2k Member

well for one, the only problem that he had was that he didn't read the instructions when they were posted on the website right in front of him. The only reason that the spiderchip isnt working on my xbox is because of a compatibility issue. I've just been emailed by www.modchipstore.com that it will work and that www.spiderchip.com will be releasing a new tutorial for v1.1 on their site. (hope that this time its the correct one)

19. blahhhhhh

blahhhhhh Member

hey everyone, i have the spiderchip 1.1 installed on my xbox 1.3 console and my chips led turns on but the cromwell bios do not start up, the power light turns green and red. im not one to read much directions and originally had not seen the part about the e and d wire being switched so i snipped the wires but the d wire. part of the d wire chipped off into the D0 and cannot put any wires in the hole. so i soldered the e wire back on the modchip, snipped the d wire, and soldered the e wire to the D0 with the piece of wire still in there. shouldnt this work still? im so frustrated right now.

20. ghee22

ghee22 Member

I've also been having problems keeping the prongs in. Just using the original T10 is visually not working; the prong closes to the power button is not touching the LCP. Are there any other solutions anyone has?