1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with the network/router!

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Edgewise, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Edgewise

Edgewise Regular member

ok so this has always been like this, and i cant seem to fix it.
    some games, including warhawk and motorstorm, don't like my wireless router, whether the ps3 is connected wirelessly or wired.
    now i've opened the necessary ports, but to no avail.
    the only way to play online is to connect directly to my cable modem.
    i can, however, actually go online with warhawk to a certain extent, but im unable to actually join games.

theres all kinds of settings when i go to the router settings page, and i've tinkered with a couple, but still nothing.
    the only way i can think of is to get a better router, because the one i have now is some off-brand, i dont even know what thing. it says "11g" on it. and the SSID is just "AP_router". and i have gone to my sister's place and played online using her linksys router.
    so im not sure if it's a setting i dont know about or just a shitty router.
    so anyone know this kind of stuff like maybe the settings and what not?
    any help would be appreciated!

2. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

Does your router have an option to turn off the firewall? Your pc's firewall will protect your computer and the ps3 there is no need for a firewall. You can also try to put your to put the ps3 in DMZ. Never rule out that is a bad router because I had a router issue, and I couldn't get my ps3 to see my media server.

3. Edgewise

Edgewise Regular member

hey thanks for the help.
    i don't see any mention of a firewall at all.
    i have tried twice putting it in the dmz and still no luck.
    it has to be the router. which sucks.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  4. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

You can also try turning the dhcp function off and manually configuring everything to a static ip. Thats what I had to do because ghost recon was giving me major problems until I did that.

5. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

I would recommend he set everything as Static anyway, saves alot of connection dropouts and various other conflicts not to mention the confusion it can cause.

6. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

Alrighty... I finally fixed most of my disconnect problems.. I just set my PS3 to a static IP address.. Linksys Routers seem to have a lot of trouble with the new 1.92 fw

7. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

Linksys has gave me nothing but problems on my ps3. I switched to a belkin router.

8. Edgewise

Edgewise Regular member

i didn't think you could just simply switch to static.
    i'll try it.

9. Edgewise

Edgewise Regular member

ok right now im pissed. i tried switching to static and when i do i have zero internet, not sure how that works... any specific help with relation to switchin to static?
    AND ever since i updated to 1.93, when i connect directly to the cable modem, i get a NAT type 1 and I cant even get online with warhawk.
    so right now I am almost completely warhawkless. (i can still sign on connected to the router but i cant join games)

10. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

I connected mine through static but I still have problems with disconnects.. i only put my PS3 on a wired static Ip so i dont have to keep changing my ports in the config page... I have 2 computers, a psp, and my ps3.. Ps3 kept pulling different IPs, so static took care of that...but as far as that.. Ever since the 1.92 update I have had hell with disconnects on my linksys router.. Ive been through a linksys,d-link, ativa and now back to a linksys w/speed booster(not that it helps)....

Edgewise what kinda router,modem, and ISP do you have?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  11. Edgewise

Edgewise Regular member

its off brand. all i know is that is says "11g" on it and the SSID just says "AP_router". it works fine for everything else. i have a cable modem through Wide Open West.

12. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

Does it look like this? Router

13. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

Anyway.. Do you have internet access on your PC through the router?? Try this, reset the modem, do a repair on with the network connection. If you are pulling a 169.x.x.x ip then time to get a new router. Usually a 169 ip means your modem or router isnt seeing the dhcp. If your connecting with the modem and not the router, no matter how many times you reset to default or renew IP.. Then its time to get a new modem...

14. Edgewise

Edgewise Regular member

thanks for the help. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the router.
    I borrowed my sister's router (linksys) and it works great, so I'm just going to pick up a new one. maybe belkin or linksys.
    but here's what my current router looks like, just for fun...
    [​IMG]

15. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

If the linksys one works then compare the settings from both to find any differences. If you cant get it to connect to your ISP then you might need to look at your vpi/vci settings, think they are country specific so if you've done anything like a firmware update it would be wrong.