1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with using DVD Shrink with Nero 6

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by maniti, Feb 2, 2004.

1. maniti

maniti Member

Guys,

I am a newbie to DVD shrink(I've been using DVD X Copy but I am not happy with the product) and just made a copy of a movie which was fairly easy and burn it on Nero 6. The problem is that it will only play on one of my DVD and it was my cheap walmart one lol but not on my sony or pioneer dvd players. Is there some setting on DVD Shrink or Nero 6 to make sure you can play it on must fairly new DVD players?

My System
    2.8 Ghz Processor
    160Gb Hardrive
    1024Mb
    Lite-On DVD+R Burner
    And I'am using Sony DVD+R media cause it works the best for so far.

2. zcool

zcool Guest

Sorry theres no such setting in Nero or Dvdshrink its the media you are using you are using dvd+rs if you want then to to play in most dvd players use dvd-rs. You need a burner that will burn dvd-rs

3. rdayan

rdayan Member

I also tried using shrink - and the DVD (+r) ended up not compatible with both my computer DVD drive as well as my DVD player (Panasonic DVD c220).

However, when I used the Sonic MyDVD (v3.5) that came with the HP drive (dvd200i), and having updated the drivers, etc., the resulting DVD+r WAS compatible with both! The reason I wanted to use shrink is that through MyDVD the resulting audio was bad, and the process took a VERY long time (reauthoring, etc).

I have Nero 6 Ultra installed, but I had Shrink burn the DVD (maybe it used Nero in the background as the guide suggests?)

Hope someone can help!

4. maniti

maniti Member

Zcool I think your rightabout DVD-R burner but when I burned the same movie using DVD X Copy exxpress it plays in all of my DVD player(But I don't like the software cause you can't add the menus or options)so I'am think DVD X copy have most have some kind of encode process that able's it to play on must DVD players.

Thanks guys if anyone else has some insight into this let me know.

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Maniti, Most newer dvd players will play +R media, but with out knowing your player brand and model its hard to tell.

Rdayan, Your Panasonic C220 isn't supposed to play burned media as stated by Panasonic Customer service. However some people have had luck with burned movies on Ritek blank media that will play on your model. So I guess its a trial and error thing with it. This information comes from www.dvdrhelp.com. Good site for compatibility problems.
    Jerry

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  6. maniti

maniti Member

Jerry,

Here is what I have as DVD Players

JVC RM-SVD701U(Older model it seems like only DVD+R copied with DVD X Copy Express work with it)

Mustek DVD-V56L-5E(This cheap little player plays anything)

Daewoo DVD5700 (This usually plays anything but this time the DVD+R using DVD Shrink and Nero 6 to burn didn't work)

Pioneer DCS-303 (Same as the daewoo above)

Lite-On 401s (This is my burner that I use. Should I update the firmware or get NEW + or - burner?

Thanks

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi maniti, did some checking on your list. Can't find the JVC. The rest are all dual format. The daewoo won't play any RW discs or VCD discs. The Lite-on 401s is of course a +R burner only. You could try a firmware update since they are usually free, but I would think about a dual format burner. I swapped my +R HP out for a Dual format after only about 2 months. The -R format seems to be more compatible with players, even the dual format players.
    Just my opinion.
    Jerry

8. maniti

maniti Member

Thanks Jerry,

I think I'am going to go with a dual format drive and sell this one ebay since its less than month old. My question to you whats the best drive thats either 4x or 8x in your opinion. Once agian thanks

Maniti

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Just to name a few good ones. Plextor, Pioneer, Sony.
    I use a Memorex dual format which is actually a Pioneer 106D. If you go to that www.dvdrhelp.com site, you can pull up dvd writers and read comments from owners. Stay with one of the better brands. Remember that with dvd burning, cheap is not always the best way to go. Both with the burner itself and blank media selection.
    Jerry

10. radiofree

radiofree Member

Jumping in late...

Maniti, it is definitely a media problem since I use DVD Shrink as well, but never had that problem. I did have that problem with when I used programs like decrypter along with Rempeg. Awful process, and long. Anyways, as far as dual format burners, go with the new Sony DRU(-530?) which allows up to 8x +R burning...I use either TDK +R or some super cheap meadia I got off of shop4tech - $0.97 each and not a single coaster yet. Also, I hear good things about Pioneer as far as burners go (even though I use the Sony DRU-510A). Overall, I definitely agree with Jerry746. Try a good drive (dont skimp - Sony is good but not cheap either) and just experiment with the media that works the best for you.

Also, don't trust most company's compatibility charts, it seems like some media just won't play on some devices even though they are the same format. For example, my p.o.s. sony player won't play sony media burned on my sony drive, but it likes the cheap stuff just fine. Go figure.

11. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Throwing in my 2 cents for what it's worth:

My experience has been interesting with DVD+R. My main DVD player is my Panasonic DMR-E50 (Previously 20.) DVD video recorder. The only +R recorder that made discs that played in it was the HP DVD x00 series. The Sony 500a and the IOMega Super DVD didn't. Probably because the HP drive let you change the Mode bit setting. The other two had no such setting to change. However, all my other test players played +R discs fine, regardless of the PC burner. So, Panasonic just needs to fix it in their machine alone, since Panasonic does all kind of things to try and win market place share that just annoy users in the end. :)