1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Verbatim

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Dot40, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Dot40

Dot40 Member

Hey guys, i just received a 50 pack of Verbatim Dvd+R that claim to be able to burn at 1x-8x. I bought these because the PS2 backups i had gave me an error meassage because it was hard for it to read the disc (previously burned at 4x). When i open up dvd decrypter to burn San Andreas it tells me that the supported write speeds are 4x, 6x, and 8x!! I don't get why it says that and not 1-8.
    I have a Sony Dru-710A with the latest firmware.
    The DVDs i am using are Verbatim DatalifePlus DVD+R Speed: 1-8x
    Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Write speeds are determined by your hardware. Just because the media claim to be able to burn at 1x-8x doesn't mean that your hardware can burn at those speeds. And it can vary by media format, i.e. a writer that can write a +R at a particular speed may not be able to write a -R at that speed.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Some ps2's will not play the + format.A buddy of mine can't play + r backups of games and movies in his ps2.He likes the maxell -4x yellowtops. My step-son plays all my + backups in his ps2 with the exception of the verbatim +4x media life coded as ricohjpn-01. That particular batch would give him some sort of "no disc present" error when I was using my old burner.

Those verbatim + 1-8x media life plus should code out as mcc-003,my favorite by far. My benq can burn them at 12x. Sony + 1-8x coded d11,I can get 16x out of them. I haven't updated to the latest firmware.Just because the media says it is a certain speed doesn't mean you can burn that speed. Sometimes you can get faster or slower than what the package tells you.

Try a small pack of maxell -4x yellowtops, I have burned mxlrg-02 and ritekgo4's. My buddy got some of the ty's from maxell.All should be good to great quality.These won't let me burn faster than 4x.

4. cgl88

cgl88 Member

I just bought some Verbatim 1-8x also. The label says it supports 12x hardware. If Nero/HP630i says I can burn at 12x, does that mean I can???

Also, I have Memorex 4x yet the burner says I can burn at 8x. Again, does that mean I can burn at 8x? I usually choose 4x just in case.

Also, if burning video, does it matter whether i burn 4x or 8x?

5. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

cgl88,

I'm sure you can burn at perhaps those rates but the chances of producing "coasters" will be greater.
    Burning at 4X will add little time to the overall process but will enhance your success rate.

6. cgl88

cgl88 Member

Thanks - I'll stick to burning at the media-labeled rate...what's the difference between burning a dvd in 20 minutes vs 10...I mean really!! :)

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

The difference between burning at 10 minutes vs 20 minutes. The chances for coaster,"errors"are greater at the faster speed. The main thing is: Where are these backups going to be played on?

I don't know how you watch those backups,but I prefer to watch them on my stand alone players. These players is where your: Media quality/Burner quality/and burn speed comes in. Some of them have a harder time reading dvdr backups.When they start to pixellate/freeze/skip/and no disc inserted type of error, then you know something is wrong about your backups.Usually too fast of a burn or poor media.The good media and a 4x burn will take care of the majority of those problems,but some players may only read a 1x or 2.4x burn.

I've burned those sony +1-8x's at 16x,and my very reliable sony player performed perfect on them. However,I also re-rip those backups and burn on the fly,so I keep that burn speed at 4x and have 100% success rate on well over 100 re-rips.

Staple's have those sony +1-8x,s on sale. The labels that say made in japan are coding as yuden000-To2.I can 16x out of these as well. The sony -1x-8x "made in japan" are coding as sony-08d1 and allow me to burn at 12x.Spindles of 50 for $20.

Maxell +8x,made in japan,code maxell-002-00 are also able to burn at 12x.

4x takes me approx 15 mins to burn a 4.36 gig backup.

8. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

What ever happen to Ritek DVD-R Go4 media ? I bought a whole spool of 100 and very seldom get a good burn. Most of them are coasters. Man did I get taken !

9. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Oh yea I forgot to ask. Whats a good grade of DVD-R inkjet printable media to buy ? I want to stop making all those coasters.

10. kdob

kdob Member

I burn my 1x-8x Verbatim dvd+r's at 16x, with no coasters. Go figure.

11. cgl88

cgl88 Member

kdob, what's your burner type?
    I have an HP630i.

incidentally, the Verbatim 8x's are from Staples - $68 Cdn but a $35 MIR.

Future shop had 100 benq 4x's for $40, but I didn't want to buy so many dvd's.