1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with video Capture

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by supertony, Jan 2, 2005.

1. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

I am not sure if I understand what you wrote...
    Can you restate it? This will help me getting you in the right direction (if I am able to).

2. supertony

supertony Guest

...anyone have a clue on what my problem could be?
    ...please? hehe

3. jagger123

jagger123 Member

TPFKAS
    Quick background stuff

I can preview my DV video stream in AMCAP and ULEAD and control the camera through a firewire connection to Belkin PCI firewire card but the software cannot achieve even a first frame render. Ulead has the same fault but Scenalyzer works OK - I have upgraded to Studio 9 plus for its enhanced features therefore i am annoyed that their upgrade does not work whereas their previous version did and Scenalyzer a cheap alternative capture worked OK albeit I will have to pay to register to remove their icons.

Your reply suggested that the timecode on the tape could be a source of error, but I put in a tape that had previously been successfully captured using Studio 9 and this also failed to be captured by all but Scenalyzer.

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Jagger,
    So if I undertsnd well you have a tape that Studio 9 was able to capture, but Studio 9 Plus cannot? I don't think their capture routine will be any different in both versions, but you could ask them.
    Try this freeware program DVIO to test: http://www.carr-engineering.com/dvio.htm.
    Supertony, maybe also for you to try.

5. jagger123

jagger123 Member

TPFKAS
    Cheers !!! DVIO worked straight off no problem - so why do the commercial video editing programs on which I have spent good money not work on one of their most fundamental operations i.e video capture ?

Just to let you know that Pinnacle support's exact answer was as follows :-
    "Studio software is design to work with Pinnacle Capture hardware. It might be work with your IEEE card or it might not be work. We do not guarantee."

6. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Good to hear :)
    So now at least you have two options that work: Scenalyzer and DVIO. I bet this $25 application will also will work for you: http://www.nct.ch/multimedia/avi_io/
    Whatever, I can certainly recommend Scenalyzer because for the $39 you get quite some other nice features with it. Read my review at:
    http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/reviews/scenalyzer.php
    BTW: I have a forum there too ;-)

But I appreciate your frustration with Studio and I think their response s*cks. You may expect that it works with any OHCI compliant IEEE1394 card.
    I did a quick check on Pinnacle's forum and you don't seem to be the only one having this problem:
    http://webboard.pinnaclesys.com/rea...1664&ThreadStart=15&Pos=17&cntThread=50&lng=1
    I also stumbled over a thread that refers to this Microsoft page where you can download a patch that may be of use for you...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222
    I keep learning as well... ;-)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  7. jagger123

jagger123 Member

TPFKAS
    Yes I am learning a lot too - Many thanks.

Also found out that although video capture was working fine with DVIO, when I played back I lost audio. I got an error with Windows Media Player of pins not connected. After some research i found out that if i disabled my extended desktop on the second monitor all worked OK on a recapture.

Thanks for the redirection - finally seem to have some ski holiday footage I can now work with.

8. supertony

supertony Guest

ack! dvio didn't work. The cap, drop, and size all remain at zero. I'm going to try out Scenalyzer later in the week but It doesn't seem like the problem lies between the software though.

9. Leontari

Leontari Guest

i really hoped that the link [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222] for a microsft patch that TPFKAS would be the solution but unfortunately it wasn't. The same problem stills occurs. I read in the above page something about the registry and adding a value, but in my registry there is no HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\1394_hc_hw_id\1394_instance_id\Device Parameters.
    It doesn't allow mou to add it either. I only found an Enum/1394/Canon&MV600 path which is my camera's model. I tried deleting, wasn't allowed. Tried to add some information, wasn't allowed. I'm dying here ...
    Here's a link for photo with the info my registry about the above path
    http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/leontari/registry.jpg

HEEEEEEEELP!

10. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

You can't edit the registry? You have administrative rights on your PC?

These are the very last suggestions that I can do:

1. Check if you don't have any hardware conflicts on your PC.
    2. Try to install this driver: http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=78245
    3. Remove SP2 and see if it works.
    4. Completely re-install your computer :-( and try to see if the transfer works before you start installing anything else..

11. Leontari

Leontari Guest

Well, I give up!

I used the link mentioned above with a windows 98 driver ... nothing happened.
    I uninstalled Service Pack 2, nothing happened.
    So I guess, the ultimate solution is to format my PC and install windows xp again. But, that is not going to happen any time soon as I have tons of data to backup and it would be a real hustle to configure again all the programs the way they are now...

So, if someone finds a solution is welcome.
    I guess I can give up my dream as a director! :eek:P

12. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

13. jagger123

jagger123 Member

After trying nearly everything to enable capture with Pinnacle and Amcap, I read about DXDIAG.exe a Windows Direct X diagnostic tool which can be accessed directly from the RUN command - >DXDIAG. Another tool to the armoury.
    1. Ran DXDIAG to check out my DirectX drivers and configuration all showed no problems with sound, video etc. However, I thought that despite this I would load the latest Direct X driver version 9.
    2. Guess what AMCAP and Pinnacle Plus 9 now capture OK no problem.

14. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

I'm having similar troubles with my Adaptec FireConnect 4300 card. I got it to work after reinstalling windows, so i thought that took care of it, however, next day i tried to capture some more and it didn't work again,...so i reinstalled windows and it worked fine,..and next day NOthing.

No idea what is going on here.

15. Hexxus

Hexxus Member

Ok.....well its been a while since I have been working on this problem. Finally called Microsoft (they found the fix on the there inhouse knowledge base not the public one we see) and here is what should fix this problem. Read this page and follow the steps.... http://www.rme-audio.de/english/techinfo/fw800sp2.htm

Good luck

16. jagger123

jagger123 Member

Hexxus

Be aware that I got flooded with spyware whilst following your link above.

17. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Not sure if I fully understand what is written there. But also refers to the articel in the MS knowledgebase that I mentioned earlier in this thread.
    But anyway, I think it is wise to stay away from 1394b for the moment...
    You certainly don't need it for video transfer.

18. mpegger77

mpegger77 Member

JVC is the problem. I have a GR-D33 that gives me the same problem - 'no capture device detected'. I've tried it with three computers all running XP - one a vergin installation on a new HP. I've tried it with four video capture/edit programs including Sony vegis, MS Moviemaker. I've emailed JVC "Technical "Support"" three times over the last two weeks throough their web site and haven't gotten any response. Seems their Mini DV cameras aren't the only thing unresponsive about JVC. If JVC goes baknrupt form class action law suits, it will be their just deserts.

19. Leontari

Leontari Guest

I really hoped that Hexxus with his link had finally given me the solution i need but again, no luck :eek:(

I did everything exactly as the link instructed but it didn't work for a zillion time!

I'm so depressed ...

20. wjauch

wjauch Member

I disagree re the JVC camcorder being the problem. I too have a JVC GR-D33, capture works fine on my laptop using Firewire, Nero or ULead software. Using a Compusa Firewire card in one computer P4 1.6GHZ, capture works in Nero and either Windows Media player or movie maker, I cann't remember which I used. Unfortunately it doesn't work when the same Compusa Firewire card is in an AMD Sempron 2.8GHz system. (All have 512RAM, Win XP, SR2). The JVC is probably not your problem, nor is the Compusa firewire card faulty in my system, I suspect something isn't set up correctly but don't know what.
    Werner