1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with video Capture

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by supertony, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Elieser

Elieser Member

Listen up guys. I had the same problem ( " video preview failure " )and found a very simple solution.
    1, connect and switch on your video camera to pc via firewire.
    2, go to device manager, find your device which doesn't function properly under imaging device. (Mine was "Canon DV Camcorder")
    3, Right click and press Uninstall.
    4, Reboot Pc and WinXp will automatically reinstall.

For me that was the solution and everything works fine now.

P.S. I have WinXp SP2 with DirectX 9c

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  2. rimland

rimland Guest

i never thought to try that...thx

3. supertony

supertony Guest

ack. doesn't work for me. The driver isn't showing a problem. But I am running sp1 though.

4. rimland

rimland Guest

that didn't work me either....My driver's name 'AVC Compliant DV Camcorder'...I uninstalled it and restarted pc.
    I still have full control (stop,rewind,play,etc) via Nero but I can't see the video on Nero's screen and record fails (I assume because there is nothing to record)...
    I am on SP2

5. rimland

rimland Guest

BTW, my driver showed installed and operating OK (before and after I uninstalled and resinstalled it)

6. supertony

supertony Guest

hey rimland.. are you able to dub from your computer to your camcorder? i can.. and it's weird that it won't work the other way around...

7. rimland

rimland Guest

I don't know if I can or not but I have no need to. That is strange that you can go in that direction. If I knew what it meant I might try it on my pc but I'm not sure it's a useful clue at this point.

8. Richie9

Richie9 Guest

Elieser:

I followed your instructions to the letter. WinXP loaded the new hardware but still not able to capture.

It seems like there isn't a single solution to this problem. Depending on your particular configuration, the solution has to be customized accordingly.

I read in some forum that SP2 firewall makes the 1394 slot a protected port but the person never gave details what he meant by that or how to un-protect it.

9. rimland

rimland Guest

you could disable the firewall and try it (and let us know)...I doubt that will work but at this point it's worth trying

10. spitz1000

spitz1000 Guest

I'm having the same problems with my firewire capturing, I've more or less narrowed it down to a prolem with my Graphics card, Processor or Motherboard.

My parts are,
    GC - Radeon ATI 9550
    Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3200
    MB - Asus K8N

I was wondering if any of you have similar specs?

11. rimland

rimland Guest

I'm betting it's related to the directx drivers since I can control the DV Camcorder I assume the fireware port is working OK. I have an nvidia 256mb card in the this pc

12. Richie9

Richie9 Guest

I disabled the firewall as some have suggested and still no change. I also have Nvidia and have updated the latest drivers and direct x but nothing has worked.

13. rimland

rimland Guest

I started to say 'then I give up' but I already gave up months ago...the strangest part is it works fine on my other dell P4 2.4 also running xp sp2

14. scunky

scunky Guest

I had loads of problems with capturing in the past.
    I solved it by buying an Apple Mac G5 dual 2ghz
    and Final cut pro......not very helpful i know.

instead of upgrading directx has anyone thought of
    going back to directx 8?.....it worked for me.

15. rimland

rimland Guest

i'd bet that would solve that problem but possibly create some new ones...thanks

16. ironbrow

ironbrow Member

This is the fix that finally made Studio 9 begin capturing video and showing video in the preview window while capturing. Before this fix, the program would manipulate the camera (play, stop, rewind, etc) and the counter would show video was being captured, but nothing was actually captured and the preview window had not picture. Now everything works perfectly again.
    I discovered this fix because neither Windows Movie Maker and AMcap would capture video either. I would get the error "class not registered" when I would try to capture with Windows Movie Maker. I did a search for that error on Google and found the fix at:
    http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=12304
    Windows Movie Maker started working after the fix so I tried Studio 9 again and found that it was working, too.
    Here's the simple fix I used:
    Try executing the following line on Start -> Run dialog (copy paste and press OK)

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qdv.dll

You should get a "DllRegisterServer succeeded..." message. Try capturing again afterwards.

17. bbeljic

bbeljic Member

Guys I SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!!
    I had same problem. I buyed sony camcorder DC19 and firewire card. Come home, put the card in PCI slot, recorded some video with camcorder, instaled software and when i tryed to capture video I can't. I tryed with USB and everything OK. Firstly O tought my camcorder or firewirecard or cable isn't OK, but when I tryed that components with other PC and also evertyng funcionality. I was very angry becouse I formated my hard disk with windows and linux but I didn't solve problem.
    And finaly I found what is the problem. Some firewire card has problem with motherboard or graphic card. In that case you need to download latest driver esspecily for mother board. I hava Asus K8TX mother board and ATI Radeon 9550. Since I updated bios, firewire card started to capturing video. Until updating bios I was abble only to control my camcorder throug commputer.
    Bye...

18. etruscan

etruscan Member

I hooked my newly acquired JVC GR-D90U up to my Windows XP (SP2) machine the other day, through the Firewire port on an Audigy 2 Soundblaster card. The result? No luck. I tried every fix I could find by browsing forums where people were having the same issue... and still no luck.

I knew that my port worked, after using several Nikon DSLR's on it, and I knew the camera and cable worked, after transferring successfully to my Mac. Mac's just seem to have better luck when it comes to IEEE compatibility though.

I remembered something from my days in Nikon tech support. IEEE devices on Windows machines can sometimes be very picky about the chipset of the IEEE 1394 Host Controller. Knowing that my Audigy used a TI chipset, I decided to go out and buy an IEEE 1394 PCI card with an NEC chipset.

Installed it, plugged in the camera - and it now works every time. The solution here is almost assuredly to find a Firewire PCI card with an NEC chipset.

Best of luck!

19. supertony

supertony Guest

damn, anyone have the same problems as me? (from orginal post) I still havent fixed it. I just run to my friend's house and burn the avi's to dvds so I can edit them at home...

20. etruscan

etruscan Member

I believe your Belkin firewire card uses a TI chipset, so refer to my last post regarding NEC. I personally think you need a new firewire card.