1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with video Capture

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by supertony, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Magnetoo

Magnetoo Member

Problem: Unable to capture digital video from IEEE 1394.

I am capturing via MovieBox DV but I believe that this fix will extend to other devices. After initially installing the hardware, the Device Manager shows the presence of both the OHCI 1394 hardware and the AVC compliant DV camcorder imaging device. However, when trying to capture via AMCAP, Studio 9, Premere Elements 2.0, or MS Movie Maker, the system appears to hang (hour glass cursor). This condition persists until the 1394 cable is disconnected from the device. All attempts to capture fail. I have tested and verified that this is not a hardware issue, but a 1394 driver issue in XP SP2. I successfully ran capture tests (on a test box) using the above setup at the base XP build (5.1.2600.0). I then upgraded the system to XP SP1A (build 5.1.2600.1106) and also was able to successfully run capture tests. I then upgraded the system to XP SP2 (build 5.1.2600.2180) and experienced the same symptoms that I encountered above on my regular PC. To fix this problem I rolled back the XP SP2 1394 driver set to the XP SP1A driver set on both the test and my regular PC and capture / preview is working normally in all the software mentioned above. Here’s what I did to implement the XP SP1A 1394 drivers on my XP SP2 system:

Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386. In the SP1 cab extract and copy out the
    following files:

1394bus.sys
    arp1394.sys
    nic1394.sys
    ohci1394.sys

Hovering the cursor over the extracted files in explorer should show the XP SP1A build (5.1.2600.1106) in the information box. Copy and replace the XP SP2 versions of these files with the XP SP1A versions in the following TWO directories:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache (This is the first place XP looks when it detects that a system module has changed. When it detects this, it replaces the changed module with the one found in here.)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

Reboot the system

2. Magnetoo

Magnetoo Member

UPDATED PRIOR POSTING.

Problem: Unable to capture digital video from IEEE 1394.

I am capturing via MovieBox DV but I believe that this fix will extend to other devices. After initially installing the hardware, the Device Manager shows the presence of both the OHCI 1394 hardware and the AVC compliant DV camcorder imaging device. However, when trying to capture via AMCAP, Studio 9, Premere Elements 2.0, or MS Movie Maker, the system appears to hang (hour glass cursor). This condition persists until the 1394 cable is disconnected from the device. All attempts to capture fail. I have tested and verified that this is not a hardware issue, but a 1394 driver issue in XP SP2. I successfully ran capture tests (on a test box) using the above setup at the base XP build (5.1.2600.0). I then upgraded the system to XP SP1A (build 5.1.2600.1106) and also was able to successfully run capture tests. I then upgraded the system to XP SP2 (build 5.1.2600.2180) and experienced the same symptoms that I encountered above on my regular PC. To fix this problem I rolled back the XP SP2 1394 driver set to the XP SP1A driver set on both the test and my regular PC and capture / preview is working normally in all the software mentioned above. Here’s what I did to implement the XP SP1A 1394 drivers on my XP SP2 system:

Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386. In the SP1 cab extract and copy out the
    following files:

1394bus.sys
    arp1394.sys
    nic1394.sys
    ohci1394.sys

To be a little more specific, expand these modules into the C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 directory. This is the installation source directory and the second place XP looks when it detects that a system module has changed.

Hovering the cursor over the extracted files in explorer should show the XP SP1A build (5.1.2600.1106) in the information box. Copy and replace the XP SP2 versions of these files with the XP SP1A versions in the following TWO directories:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache (This is the first place XP looks when it detects that a system module has changed. When it detects this, it replaces the changed module with the one found in here.)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

Reboot the system

P.S. If you don't see these files / folders(ie. C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache), try this:
    From Explorer, select TOOLS, FOLDER OPTIONS, and then the VIEW tab.

1. Under "Hidden Files and Folders", select the radio button for "Show Hidden Files and Folders".
    2. Uncheck the box for "Hide Extensions for Known File Types".
    3. Uncheck the box for "Hide Protected Operating System Files" and reply "YES" to the warning.
    4. Click on "Apply to All Folders" at the top of the menu and reply "YES" to the information pop-up.
    5. Click "OK" to close the dialog window.

Do you see it now?

For more information on Windows File Protection, you may be interested in this document:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winlogo/drvsign/wfp.mspx