1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with virtual dub and tmpgenc

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by groove, Aug 22, 2003.

1. groove

groove Member

i want to transcode a movie from xvid to mpeg (for dvd)

my original file is matrix reloaded encoded in divx (24.01 fps), audio is MPEG-1 Layer 3

normally to encode xvid i use virtualdub to make a vdr file , and then open this vdr file with tmpgenc.

with my 2 last movies , i have the next message from tmpgenc when i try to pen my vdr file :

file "matrix.vdr" can not open or unsupported.

how can i do now where is the problem , please help me

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I simply load the Xvid into TMPGEnc and convert. I dont use Virtual Dub at all. Have you tried it like that?

3. groove

groove Member

i will try , i let you know about the result

4. groove

groove Member

i made it and i have audio problems and video problems at the second half of the movie....

i had already done it before with others movies and i had no problems.....

any idea ???

5. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

24.01fps?

That's one strange DivX file you have got there. It is also probably the reason you are having problem (I assume your vaguely described "problem" is that the audio is not in sync with the video in the later half).

Check some of the other DivX files you have converted, and you will probably find that they have standard fps counts like 23.976fps or 29.976fps. The DVD standard needs 29.976fps, which is internally 23.976fps with video pulldown applied.

The Matric Reloaded file, on the other hand, is a strange "in between" framerate taht needs to be converted to a standard framerate. I suggest Canopus Procoder as the perfect solution, but thats a pricey option. The cheaper possibility would be to head over to www.dvdrhelp.com and going to their "guides" section. You will find a guide on framerate conversion via TMPGEnc and Besweet that may help.
    Good luck...

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, 24.01 is out a slight fraction and im not sure how it could be that.
    Thats an NTSC standard, not PAL.

7. groove

groove Member

i have tried canopus , but the problem is that i want a mpeg file , but i always have a m2p file....

my m2p file is well correct , but i need mpeg.

is it a way with canopus to have a mpeg (2) file ???

8. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Sorry Chris...forgot about the PAL world again...

Groove...There is no way to get Canopus to output a multiplexed MPEG2 file, but you could multiplex the streams yourself using TMPGEnc tools or something like Womble.

However, almost any authoring program will accept the input of seperate audio and video streams (ie, TMPGENC DVD Author, Spruce Up, IFO Edit).

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I guessed you had Yuriv lol :D

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I guessed you had Yuriv lol :D

11. groove

groove Member

yes i did it with ulead dvd movie factory 2 , but i had to encode 3 more hours (with à p4 3 gigs with fsb 800 mhz !!!)

and the result was bad !!!

i really can't encode this movie.......

12. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Sorry it didn't work out Groove...
    For what its worth, however, I think that a high-action movie like Matrix II is not a good candidate for the Xvid/DivX to DVD conversion process. The source material is just not of high enough quality to do justice to that awesome fight on the freeway!

And Oriphus, just thinking about PAL actually still gives me nightmares after going through the PAL-to-NTSC conversion and authoring for all five seasons of Cold Feet. VERY worth it though, the brits could teach NA some sorely needed lessons about how to make good TV programs (HBO being the exception).....

13. rlwhite

rlwhite Guest

use virtual dub ac3 version and convert the audio to pcm(no compression) leave the video in direct stream and save the new avi (usually about 1.3 to 1.7 gigs then use the new avi in tmp. I do this with all xvid films as invariably the audio is a variable bit rate -which screws up the sync- my reloaded avi (xvid) converted ok to mp2 and then ulead to author- no problem

14. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

HBO does some really quality programs like The Sopranos and ER i thnk as well. Also, PAL >> NTSC conversion is a real pain in the ass. Did you do it through TMPGEnc?

15. WDM2MPEG

WDM2MPEG Member

---- Quote: ----
    thinking about PAL actually still gives me nightmares after going through the PAL-to-NTSC conversion and authoring for all five seasons of Cold Feet
    ----------------

Modern DVD players from Philips being sold now in North America (e.g. 724 and 727 in Wall-Mart, 726 in Visions) _DO_CONVERT_PAL_TO_NTSC_ on the fly, so you can record your discs in PAL and then watch them in NTSC without having to bother about that "nightmares" anymore. All these DVD players are priced as if they have no multisystem feature.