1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with wii connecting to internet

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by DavidRW, May 26, 2007.

1. DavidRW

DavidRW Member

I have a BT 8mb broadband connection, My ps3 and xbox 360 seem to work fine with the internet and have no problems. But recently I have had many troubles with my wii and the internet. It just won'r accept, I make sure that ever other device that uses wi-fi is off and then try it again, but still no problems. It will usuallysay the server is down or unable to connect to the internet. I have a dray tek router as well.

Can anyone give me some help on what to do?

thank you

2. zmitha

zmitha Member

Hi mate

Has the router got WEP? Maybe you are entering the WEP key incorrectly.

Assuming you did the following:
    Wii Settings > Internet > New Connection.

Select your Wi-Fi connection and connect It should ask you for the WEP key.

Also check the parental controls as i think it can be disabled there.

Cheers

3. DavidRW

DavidRW Member

yea i've entered my wep right as i've used the connection before and parental controls are turned off DX

anyone got any advice?

4. cp1966

cp1966 Regular member

I am having a hard time as well. My wireless set up is for WEP also. WHen I first hooked up the Wii, it downloaded the latest firmware, but ever since, I cant hook up wirelessly, and i dont have a tv close to my router for a wired connection.

I am still troubleshooting....

5. grkblood

grkblood Regular member

I had a weird problem where the software would only connect with the Wii the first time and then no longer accept the transmission. All that I did was set it up to connect to my wireless home router and I'm keeping the Nintendo USB Wi-Fi as a traveling device. I'm not sure if this is what y'all are experiencing but try reinstalling the software if you are using Nintendo's Wi-Fi USB.

6. Nealio

Nealio Regular member

I also have a problem similar to this...

Whenever I try to connect to the Internet with my Wii, it gives me the unable to connect error. If I try it like 5 times it will usually work though. I also have WEP setup with it. My other wireless devices work just fine on the first try too, so I'm not really sure what the problem is.

7. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

I had a similar problem and just changed the WiFi channel from 6 to 11 (or 1) and it works fine now.

8. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I also was having trouble with my connection and did some searching. I read somewhere that some Wii owners where having allot of problems with their Wii connecting and staying connected when DHCP was enabled.

So I disabled DHCP on my router and made Static IP connections for all my systems that connected to the router plus I also changed the channel from 6 to 11 as Oner did. Since doing this I have never had any trouble connecting and staying connected.

Last edited: May 30, 2007