1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Wiid Firmware v02

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by midihead, May 18, 2007.

1. midihead

midihead Member

hi

I have read some threads already and felt I needed to add a new thread as i felt my problem with the wiid has not been addressed.

I installed the wiid about a week ago in my PAL console. Backups of Exite Truck, Warioware smooth moves and Heatseeker works fine... all pal versions.

No I wanted to test a NTSC game so I read the compatability list and got a "Need for speed Carbon" and a"Trauma Center" disc burnt. That did not work so I figured I'll put on the v02 firmware.

Followed the instructions, bunt DVD+R with Nero 6... got the "Unable to read disc" message... turn the console of and then on... the NTSC game did not work. "Unable to read disc".

Tried again and made sure I checked the "Finalize" checkbox... same result.

Tried again using DVD-R... same result.

Verified that my language is set to English... same result.

Tried again using Fuljufilm DVD-RW media... same result

Tried again extracting the dummy.bin from the ISo and burnt... samt result

My Original and backups of PAL disc still work fine so I asume the chip is properly installed and is not broken.

Does the WiiConnect24 affect anything?

Any ideas?

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

First off an NTSC Trauma Center is not compatible with your PAL Wii.

Double check the list (Make sure you are looking under NTSC(U) to PAL)...

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php/Wii_Region_Free_Patcher_Compatibility_List#NTSC-U_.28USA.29_to_PAL

As for Need for Speed this should work on your PAL system.

Do you have ImgBurn? If so try burning the update disc to 1 of the blank media that you used for your PAL backup games (Exite Truck, Warioware smooth moves and Heatseeker) you know that your Wii will work with that media.

After burning the disc turn on your Wii without any disc in. Now go to the disc channel then insert the update disc. it will read the disc and do the update. When the update is done it will give you the "Unable to read the disc" error which is normal.

I know the update GUI sucks for updated disc. Hopefully they are working on a better GUI for the next update.

After you do those steps then use ImgBurn to burn "Need for speed Carbon" use the same media that you have used for (Exite Truck, Warioware smooth moves and Heatseeker).

It should work after those steps if it does not then try getting a backup of another NTSC game that is on the compatibility list and is compatible. Maybe the "Need for Speed Carbon" ISO is bad.

I doubt that WiiConnect24 has anything to do with the problem. But did you turn WiiConnect24 off before installing the chip? If not do you have problems updating the news or Weather channel?

Did you happen to connect the D Wire so you can reset the chip to default settings? Maybe resetting the chip to default then reinstalling the update would clear this up. But try the above first before doing this.

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  3. midihead

midihead Member

I had a company install the chip and they said they've been doing this For abotu 10 years for different consoles and he told me (before I new it was even needed) he also conected the D wire. (www.chipnplay.se, it's in swedish)

I had the WiiConnect24 on when he did the update and I've had no problems with the internet connection. I use the weather channel and surf in opera regulary.

Unfortunately I have not saved the ISO files of the NTSC games (stupid me). I'm now trying to get the monkey ball game (it looks like it's compatable from the list).

But I will reset the console with the 15 second reset trick and then update again with the DVD-R media I used for the PAL games.

I'll post again

4. midihead

midihead Member

The reset trick:
    Took any discs out and I turned Wii off, pressed and while holding the reset button turned wii on. Counted to 17 slowly (meanwhile the initial safety screen showed) and then released reset button. Turned Wii off again and on again (no disc in). Went to disc channel, stuffed in a DVD-R media with PAL Wiid firmware (downloaded today) burnt in nero 6.0.6.6. Got the unable to read disc... turn console off, on again .. insert "need for speed carbon" NTSC... unable to read disc.

When I burn in nero... I go to the "recorded" menu and choose "Burn Image", browse to the "WiidUpdate_02_PalNew.iso" image file and press open. A "burn compilation" window apear and I select DVD instead of CD in the drop down box.. check the finalize and set the speed to x4 and then press "burn".
    The screen shot at www.wiidmod.com on how the settings should look in nero seems to be different look than mine... you think the Nero version has anything to do with it?

By the way--- I tried changing the TV Type to 60 hz (480i) instead of the Component (480p), figured an NTSC game should maybe be run in 60 hz.. but that did not help.

Another interesting thing...

Downloaded Eledees PAL, works fine (fun game by the way),

Downloaded Cooking Mama (Multi5 PAL)... this disc is found in the channel can click start... it asks me to save a save file. I accept that.. and then... black screen with white test saying... "This game disc can not be read". And I have to press reset button.

So still not working for me...

Still downloading "Monkey ball"...

Whould really like to get an answer from www.Wiidmod.com now... (sent a mail a fews ago)

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Try downloading ImgBurn and use that for the Update disc and the Wii ISO's

This is the first time I have heard of anyone having this problem with a WiiD. A know a few that have PAL systems and have a WiiD and it works fine.

This possibly could also be a media issue.

If that is a PAL game then it should play on your system with no problem. Seems to me you might have a Media issue. This happened to me as well when I first started. I used Tayio Yudens and some backups would work perfect and others would have problems. I finally went to Maxell DVD-R (I have seen a few threads of people having good success with these) and they all seem to be working fine without read disc errors.

So change your burning Application to ImgBurn (It is free) and try different media. Try some Maxell DVD-R I have seen a few on here say they work pretty good on their Wii.

If you deleted the game ISO try doing this...

Place the Wii backup in your drive and start ImgBurn. Now click MODE then READ. This will copy the game to your Hard Drive. (This will only work for a backup not an original)

After it rips to your Hard Drive choose MODE then WRITE and burn on different media using ImgBurn. If ImgBurn gives a read error while trying to rip the game from the backup then you will need to download the ISO again.

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  6. midihead

midihead Member

Switching to imgBurn and Maxell Media:

1. Read "Cooking Mama" PAL from DISC and burned onto Maxell DVD-R with imgBurn. It worked A LOT better. Now I could play it. I got a disc read error after about 15 minutes of playing though... not so good but at least this proves your suspicion about this game, it was a media thing. Thank you! Playing the game again I managed to play without any read errors until I got bored (about 45 minutes).

2. Burned Wiid Firmware 2 with imgBurn, and updated the Wiid (which I asume worked). I don't know if I'm right or wrong but it feels like it takes a few more seconds for the firmware disc to display the "Uanbale to read disc" than other discs which gives me the feeling that something happens at least.

3. Read and burnt "Trauma Center NTSC"... didn't even find disc (but that wasn't really expected either according to the compatability list, but I wanted to test anyway)

4. Read and burnt "Need For Speed Carbon" NTCS... didn't find disc...

Conclusion for now... Maxell MEdia worked better for Cookign Mama PAL. But I still haven't seen any proofs that my Wiid has been succesfully updated and can play NTSC games. But Trauma Center shoudln't work and Need for Speed could be a bad ISO so.. I'll update you again when I've gotten other NTSC discs tested or make any progress.

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I am almost positive the 2.0 update was updated due to an issue with NTSC Wii playing PAL games. I don't think it had anything to do with playing NTSC game on a PAL unit.

Are you positive you have a WiiD? A picture of the chip is in my Signature.?

The only reason I ask is if this is another chip (Wiikey) then you would have to turn region over ride on.

Don't take it the wrong way I am just making sure you have a WiiD and not another chip.

If you wanted to test out the Wiikey setup disc you can download it from the below link. You will need to turn region override ON for out of region game disc to work.

http://www.wiikey.cn/resources.html

If you do have a WiiD I can't figure out what the problem would be. I haven't seen anyone with this issue before.

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  8. midihead

midihead Member

Yes I'm sure I have Wiid. I asked for a WiiKey at chipnplay.se but it was out of stock and he specifically said that the Wiid was a new and very good chip and it should be a good alternative to Wiikey. chipnplay.se happens to be located on my way home from work so I personally left it there and when I was supposed to pick it up he was soldering the last wire (the D wire) on there and actually showed me the chip and I remember thinking it was VERY small compared to the pictures I've seen online. I am 100% positivt that it's a wiid. Saw the logo and all when it was installed before he put the case back on.

I will chipnplay.se today and also get another mail out to www.wiidmod.com and I will try to get ahold of some other NTSC games and try... I'll keep posting. Thanks for your input so far.

9. midihead

midihead Member

So the last few days i've been testing more with absolutely no progress on the NTSC topic.

Shrek Third NTSC, "Unable To Read Disc", Maxell DVD-R
    Bionicle Heroes NTSC, "Unable To Read Disc", Verbatim DVD-R

Need For Speed PAL, No Problem, Verbatim DVD-R
    Bust a Move PAL, No Problem, Maxell DVD-R

I'm thinking... does the burner itself matter? And could it be that my burner (a Samsung SATA).. can burn disc recognized at PAL fine but not NTSC? I mean maybe my Wiid is updated fine with v2 but my burner just can't burn Wii NTSC discs properly. Is this way out there or could it be so?

I would really like to get in touch with someone that could send me a NTSC disc that successfully tested in a PAL console with a Wiid-chip to see if this is really a "Wiid problem" or a "create backup problem". E-mail me at midihead [ a t ] mail.nu and we could swap addresses and stuff, i'd pay the postage.

Still not a word from www.wiidmod.com

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@midihead

If all your PAL Game Backups are working fine then it should not be a media issue with your NTSC Game Disc Backups.

Problems ruled out and are not the problem...

1) Media is not the problem (PAL games work with Maxell & Verbatim disc so the NTSC should work as well)

2) Region Compatibility is not the problem (Need for Speed/Shrek Third/Bionicle Heroes are on the compatibility list as working.

3) I doubt it is a downloaded ISO issue since you have tried Need For Speed/Shrek Third/Bionicle Heroes

4) It should not be a burner or burning issue (PAL games have been burned and work properly)

5) Modchip instillation should not be the problem since you can play PAL backup games.

It has to be 1 of the below problems...

1) Modchip is not working properly. (Try sending it back and get a replacement)

2) Update 2.0 for the WiiD did not install to the WiiD correctly or not at all.

Try resetting the WiiD firmware back to default (Power off the Wii by holding the power button down till the LED turns RED)

Now hold the Reset button down and power on the Wii keeping the Reset button pressed for 15 seconds. Make sure you keep the reset button down while turning on the Wii. Keep it down for 15 seconds. I would even wait a few more seconds like 20 to make sure it has been held down long enough.

Now burn the WiiD 2.0 firmware onto a blank media that you have used for your working PAL games. Use ImgBurn to burn the update. If you do not have ImgBurn you can get it at the below site...

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

After burning the game turn on your Wii and go to Disc Channel. Now insert the Update disc. When it says Disc Could Not Be Read the update should have been applied. Now try an NTSC disc.

5)You do not have a WiiD chip installed and need to find what Modchip it is and enable region override.

I have e-mailed WiiD as well on this issue with what we have ruled out to see if they have any other suggestions on what to do.

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  11. midihead

midihead Member

I've spoken to the company that installed the wiid and they're gonna do some tests (with my discs) on other wiid chips (when I get a new delivery). We'll see what that brings. I'm gonna let this thread wait for a until I hear from them (probably a week or two). I'll get back to you about this.

12. midihead

midihead Member

Okay... So after two months I've managed to grasp things. The company who put the chip in has not managed to run any of the disc I burnt and gave to them (even on WiiKey consoles) so I asumed the discs must be wrong.

Though I read in a forum somewhere that there's NO need to patch the ISO files to PAL with Region Free I have now tested that anyway... on Bionicle Heroes NTSC. It very nicely turned into a PAL game and worked without a problem ona crappy DVD-R using imgBurn.

So final conclusion.. you need to patch NTSC games with Region Free to the proper Region.... at least for WiiD modified PAL consoles.

I want to thank all of you guys/girls (especially larrylje) for taking the time to help me in this thread. I guess you asumed I patched the games right? Sorry for wasting you time.

Still have not gotten a single word from the WiiD support... that's messed up!

13. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Either the V2 firmware update is not updating correctly, or the WiiD is not working properly.

You should not have to patch the NTSC Wii games if the WiiD is updated to the latest firmware.

Even tho using a region patcher works and would work for anyone you still shouldn't have to patch the game disc if the WiiD is correctly updated.

14. midihead

midihead Member

Arrrgggh... I'm done testing. I can play the games I want to play now. Whenever WiiD release a new update (but pretty quiet from them, huh?), I guess I'll see if my WiiD can or can't be updated, then I'll start a new Thread to bug you again:)