1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems backing up a backed up dvd

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by trust121, Apr 6, 2005.

1. trust121

trust121 Member

I am having problems backing up an already backed up dvd (problems coping an already copied dvd). I am using nero to do a "copy exact dvd" the funny thing is.. is that sometimes it will make a perfect copy and sometimes it will give me an error.. i even tried to run it through decryptor and shrink and its giving me disk read errors. even wen i try to copy a freshly copied dvd it does it the same way. I tried to do a search on how to solve my problems and didnt find anything, maybe i picked bad keywords. so if this has been disscued already im sorry in advance.. thanks for an help i can get from this.

Trust

2. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

hmmm the search must be not working as this comes up weekly :)

ok we need to know...

what media
    what speed you burn
    what your drive is (not that important usually)

generally this is caused by crap media and burning too fast...

you could invest in a better reader drive... i have a liteon and it reads things that other drives wont even touch...

you could always try getting your burner to try reading the disks (if using a 2 x drive system) as they often read better than crappy reader drives

3. trust121

trust121 Member

my dvd writer is a sony DW-U18A.. my dvd drive/reader is a lite-on SOHD-16P95 which i bought last week thinking it would solve the problem. the media I am using is TDK and Fuji, which I backed up hundreds of movies perfectly with. Its just when I try to back up an already backed up dvd is when i get problems.

Other Specs:
    windows xp
    nero 6
    dvd decryptor (current version)
    dvd shirnk (current version)
    200 gig hd

I hope this is enough information. I have a friend that suffers the same issue problem as me. He can sometimes get a copy of an already copied dvd but sometimes gets the same errors as me.

Thanks Again. -trust

4. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

i used to get a lot of errors, this was due to crappy media (although you seem to use good media) and also a crappy DVD-Rom drive. i replaced it with a liteon and it has never had any problems since (which you also have hmmmm....)

if u use dvdinfo or something what does it say about the disks if you do a scan/test?

i know the nero read engine sucks compared to something like dvddecrypter. for example if i cannot backup a disk in nero i usually take it into dvddecrypter and it rips the thing fine!

what speed are the backups being made at? and is it the same media you use?

for example if you borrow a backup from a dodgy source they might have used some crappy media and burnt at 16x (for example) so that really is the initial creator's issue...

obviously dirty disks are also an issue... i treat mine like they are precious metals and they always seem fine for me...

5. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

trust, once you ripped and backed up your DVD, there is no more encryption so that isn't the problem. You should be able to drag the entire VIDEO_TS file folder from the DVD and copy it to your hard drive. If you can't even do this without getting read errors, then your burns are bad. They might still play fine on your DVD player, but players will skip over errors whereas a DVD burner will need to read every single byte as if it were a data file (which you do not want any bytes skipped). A suggestion would be to use Decrypter and set it to skip over errors with 0 retries. Be careful though because after a certain number of bad reads, your burner will switch to PIO mode and you'll have to uninstall and reinstall to get the DMA mode again.

6. trust121

trust121 Member

ill try to use dvd decryptor again and see if that helps. Dogbomb how do i set dvd decryptor to skip over errors and 0 retries. Also, is there a way to skip over errors and keep it at dma mode with out it chaging to pio mode. thanks for all your help everyone. -trust

7. gamename

gamename Regular member

thanks dog i was wondering how mine was getting changed to pio so often.

8. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Trust121,

Have you tried 1Click Dvd Copy 4.1 with DVD43? or InterVideo Dvd Copy 2 with DVD Idlepro? If the dvd you're burning from is another dvd-r meaning (already a backup dvd-r) then neither one of them software will make an exact perfect dvd-r without compressing/losing any quality. It should be smoothly without any error. I've used both of them and am pretty satisfy with the results. For InterVideo DVDcopy 2 with Idlepro, I mainly go with Import DVDs, such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Thai. On the other hand, 1Click Dvd Copy 4.1 with DVD43, I mainly use it for the new release(US).

To back up from an original new release dvd movie. Put original dvd movie in DVD-Rom drive, put dvd-r in writer/burner drive, play it for 30 - 60 sec. Click/Run DVD43, if it goes smooth, you'll see a smiley green face, now lauch 1Click Dvd Copy. Relax and go watch a movie on your tv for 40 - 45 mins and comeback, now you'll be happy with your new dvd-r.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005