1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems backing up a Dual Layer game on a DVD+RDL

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by crd75, Feb 16, 2005.

1. crd75

crd75 Member

I burned a backup of "The Guy Game" on a DL disk using Craxtion and DVDDecrypter. About halfway or so into the game the video clips would become all jumpy and look like it skips frames. I didn't change any of the default settings for the DL media. I noticed there were choices for even spacing across the layes and an extended lead out. Are there settings I need to change when I copy with DL media?

Thanks,

Chris

2. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

I haven't tried DL media yet, but I think it's best if you put like all of the game on the first layer (because they say the laser has a harder time writing to the second layer).

3. crd75

crd75 Member

The only problem is that the size of the game is over 6 Gigs so it has to burn over onto the 2nd layer.

4. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

Oh my God! that was intelligent. The game is over 6 gig and he probably spent like 7 or 8 dollars for one DL disc.I think he would have used a single layer disc if he could fit the game on the first layer.

5. crd75

crd75 Member

I would have used a DVD-R then. I can't use DVD+R media on this burner because the lowest speed is too high (4X). DVD-R is 2X :) I found this out because I backed up a game on a DVD+R and it was giving me errors on the X-box.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  6. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

I burn all my stuff at 8x and never have a problem.

7. crd75

crd75 Member

Maybe it was the brand of media then. I usually use Verbatim +R's and I bought a spindle of Memorex +R's on sale. I burnt the one game I had problems with on a DVD+R again on a DVD-R and It worked with no errors.

8. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

You do realize that the two layers don't have to be evenly proportioned right?

Congratulations. You just made yourself look like an ass AGAIN.

9. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

So your saying that the whole game (over 6 gig) would fit on the 1st layer of a DL disc? You need to lay off the crack pipe [bold]Again[/bold]

10. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

"I smell's a glassin in the air boys"

Now kiss and make up

LOL

11. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Um, Microsoft uses Dual Layer discs for their games, and the entire game is on the second layer. So as far as I'm concerned, it can be done.

12. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

Do you just pull this out of thin air?
    or can you provide me with a link?
    Um, No
    It's a physical layer on a pressed disc and if the game is over 4.7 gb it [bold]won't[/bold] fit on either the second layer or the 1st by itself.

13. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

nm

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
  14. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

http://img192.exs.cx/img192/9752/duallayertheory3zy.jpg

Just stop talking. You're making yourself look bad.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
  15. Artlover

Artlover Member

Sorry, but reading an Xbox disc in a PC drive and judging anything by that is meaningless and reflects nothing. Every Xbox disc you put in a PC drive will always show as being 13.6 megs, and have that TS_Video directory with the vob file of their xbox splash animation. Because just like DC discs, they specificly put a small iso9660 compatable area on the disc. Tho in the case of Xbox it's not for hidden extras or boot requirements like on the DC, but for the sake of not giving up anything useful when exploring in a PC, and playing the logo when put into a DVD player. It doesn't in anyway shape or form reflect whats going on with the REAL data, which a PC and IsoBuster can't read (try exploring past LBA 7000). Xbox doesn't read nor care about anything being reflected in this small iso9660 allocated region, and that reference to duallayerstart = meaningless.

If you want to know what is really going on with a Xbox disc, and really want to know how big a game is, then put the disc in a modded xbox and use an xbox file explorer or ftp in and explore the disc that way so you can see the actual xbox game related files and their actual size. You have to actually look at the files and directories, and not the total the disc gives you because all original Xbox discs report 6.7gigs, regardless of how much space is actually used.

There are many games, like TGG and LSL:MCL where the actual raw game files exceed the storage capacity of a single layer, and both layers ARE used. Buy the game and ftp the contents to your HD and check for yourself.

For the record, downloaded backups reflect the true size of games as none are actual 1-to-1 iso images, but file/directory copies converted to xiso and don't contain any of the BS that original xbox discs have, like altered headers giving false space used info, and irrevelent iso9660 regions.

As for me, I don't bother with burning DVD's myself. Single or Dual Layer. I just ftp them to the HD and play off that. Much easier to deal with and loads a hell of a lot faster.

16. cpnjack

cpnjack Member

So since we're all on the topic of big games, such as the aforementioned "Guy Game", how could I fit this game onto a single DVD-R? I would have fone the route of just putting it on the hard drive, but I don't have enough room to put the game there. Any compression tools I could use? If there's even a way to split the game into 2 discs without messing up the game play, then I am more than willing.

17. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

Do you have a thomson dvd drive?

18. punqewe

punqewe Active member

what's with you and thompson drives?

19. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

LOL....because most people experiencing these problems have first generation xbox's with the thomson drive...therefore when ever they make a back-up it will not function properly, regardless of what they do to fix it.

20. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

LOL....because most people experiencing these problems have first generation xbox's with the thomson drive...therefore when ever they make a back-up it will not function properly, regardless of what they do to fix it.