1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems Backing up DBZ Budokai 3

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by sepharih, Jan 20, 2005.

1. sepharih

sepharih Member

Hello, i'm new to the thread. My original copy of Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 was recently damaged beyond repair and I so I broke out the Backup I had made when I first got the game. Unfortunatley I am unable to play the game for some reason. I can load the game up to where it asks you to start or load a game and no matter which option I click, the screen fades out and doesn't come back! I've tried this perhaps a dozen times with the same result. I would think if it had been a bad backup I burned and/or a bad image I recorded then it wouldn't have loaded at all.
    I do not have a mod chip, i'm using the gameshark 2 to run the backup, as I understand it it works virtually identically to swap magic.
    The backup is burned on a Sony DVD-R 4.7gb 8X media. I've burnt the copy using Alchohol 120%. The game i'm using to swap it with is Final Fantasy X, although I've tried Kingdom Hearts, All the Dot Hack series, San Andreas, etc. with no success. Has anyone else had this problem. Is it how I burned it? Do I need to use a better media like Apple? Luckily I compress all the backup images I make and put them on DVD so if anyone has an answer I can reburn it if necessary. Thanks for your time.

2. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

You need modchip or swap magic to load backups.

Gameshark alone will not work.

3. sepharih

sepharih Member

Actually yes it does, well the older model gameshark 2's work. Gameshark found out about this little exploit that there product had and removed it from more recent versions. I forget exactly which versions you can use it with but it basically works like this in the older models.
    -you open up the PS2 to where you can manually pull of the roof of the cd tray.
    -start the ps2 with the gameshark disk in it.
    -Go to codes list, creat a new game, creat a new code,(note: it doesn't matter what you put in) keep going until you get to the screen that lets you decide what codes to turn on and off.
    -hit start and select the option to play games withought cheats.
    -now the tricky part, press the eject button on the PS2 to pop out the CD tray. Put in a PS2 game, like FFX and close the tray. If you have the cover of the ps2 off, which you should, you should see that the disk is now spinning. now press x on the controller to start game. Suddenly the disk will stop spining. You now have a ten second window to open the cd tray and switch the disk with your backup.(Note: do not push the eject button, you have to manually pull off the top of the tray, switch the disks and then replace the tray) If you've done everything correctly and your game is a good burn than it should play just fine. Every backup i've made has worked withought a hitch using this method until now.
    Basically all this is doing is what the old converters for the PS1 did when you wanted to play backups or import games, it forces the PS2 to recognize the disk as a PS2 game. As i was saying though this only works with older gameshark 2 models, the newer ones have taken care of this exploit.

Back to DBZ Budokai though. As I said in my previous post, it ran without a problem up until the point where I selected new game or load game. I saw the bandai logo and the opening FMV and all that. Then when I selected new/load game it all went dark. Anyone got any suggestions?

4. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

I burned DBZ3 yesterday onto Verbatim dvd+r @4x and it works perfect.

yea I can help you out. To boot DBZ3 [bold]correctly[/bold] what you need is [bold]cdloader[/bold]. get it from http://www.swapmagicfix.com
    Burn it to CDR and use GS to boot it. now when you get to the cdloader screen press eject, put in a high toc game (use FFX) and close the tray. now wait a bit, then press X. you will see a red screen asking you to "insert dvdr by EA Method". what you need to do here is use a slidecard or fliptop (or take the PS2 cover off) to swap with the DBZ3 backup. once youve done all that PRESS X to boot the game.

5. sepharih

sepharih Member

Still didn't work i'm afraid, same result as before got as far as the new/load game screen and then when I selected an option it faded out and didn't come back.
    I also tried burning onto a 4X media just to try everything. Not surprisingly that didn't work either. Any other ideas?

6. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

well the only way I got this game to work was by using cdloader.
    Are you sure you followed the steps correctly? and how big is FFX? DBZ3 is 4.33GB. youll need a game bigger than that to refresh the toc. I used GTA3 and everything worked fine.

7. sepharih

sepharih Member

Actually that's probably it, FFX is around 4.27 gb. It didn't occur to me to check before since FFX has always worked for me, looks like i'm gonna have to make a run to gamestop. What's the largest PS2 game on the market currently?

8. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

Devil May Cry and GTA3 both have a max toc of 4.37GB. If you can get one of those your good to go.