1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems burning both cds and dvds

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by kasarah49, Jan 15, 2004.

1. kasarah49

kasarah49 Member

hiya.. i have been having problems with burning cds and dvds recently and badly need help.. so much to save on dics (u know how it is!!). anyways, since acquiring my pc, i have burnt loads of things before, from audio cds, mp3 cds to data cd on dvds as well.. only now, when i try to burn either of the above, i get a message telling me that there has been some sort error (even though it burns about 20% at first in some cases).. i have both pinnacle instant cd+dvd and nero 6.3.0.0 and i get error messages with both when i try to burn.. with 'pinnacle instant', the simulation completes without a glitch but the actual burning doesn't complete.. i have tried turning all my other windows programs off, but still the same result.. with nero, i changed the aspi settings (and back again to the system aspi) so that the dvd writer uses nero aspi but still nothing.. please help.. as i said, i burnt before without problems.. i'm using windows xp and i have an all format dvd writer.. thanks in advance..

2. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

let me attempt to give some bad advice ...but some ideas...
    1) Reinstall the burning programs.
    2) What are the errors that you are getting?
    hmm what else... lets go from there!

3. kasarah49

kasarah49 Member

i have reinstalled pinacle instant cd+dvd but still have the same problem.. nero gives the followng error message:

burn-proof activated
    caching of files started
    caching of files completed
    burn process started at 24x(3,600KB/s)
    ATAPI DVD DUAL 4XMax
    track following error
    ATAPI DVD DUAL 4XMax
    Could not perform EndTrack
    Burn process failed at 24x (3,600KB/s)
    after just 7%
    and the disc has some sort of scratched marking on it.. even though it was a new, clean cd before burning..

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The disc has an actual physical scratch on it after it goes through your burner? That's bizarre, unless I misunderstood.

5. kasarah49

kasarah49 Member

yes, it does.. and that the first time it's done that.. do you think it might be something to do with the dvd burner itself?? since the last time i burnt something on disc and getting an error message, i have tried again by burning an audio cd.. for some reason it burnt ok.. straight after that, i tried to burn a data disc (mp3s and 'avis'), but i get the error message again.. tried restarting the pc, but to no avail.. i haven't tried again.. is there any chance that my Instant CD+DVD program is clashing with nero!? or what are the likely explanations for these error messages and no burning possible.. my hard drive is getting too packed up by the minute and most of the things on there, i need.. HELP!!!!

6. Nephilim

You're burner might need either an exorcism or a burial.

It sounds like you've got a handle the software side of it. I'm not aware of any conflicts between Nero and Pinnacle. Did you make any software or hardware changes just before your problems started?

If not, I would tend to think that your burner is pooping out on you because you said your ASPI was fine and you're getting errors with both Nero and Pinnacle as well as the hit and miss burn success. How old is the burner?

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Try garlic

8. kasarah49

kasarah49 Member

well, i have tried exorcism and garlic (JOKES!!!).. the burner is not even 6 months old.. i just bought this pc you see.. about whether i changed any settings before these error messages, well yes.. i wanted to make a copy a dvd that my cousin has.. since i couldn't do that because the dvd was not an original in the first place, i decided to burn an image of the dvd on my hard drive and then burn it onto a blank dvd.. when using nero or pinnacle, i do make sure that i am not burning an image onto disc (when burning data), but a proper data cd.. did that make sense??? i still have a guarantee on this pc, so should i call them up and ask them to repair the thing..? and given that i have physically added another hard drive to the pc, will i be required to remove it? and in doing so, will it mess my pc even more (because i have programs running at start-up that aren't on the original hard drive)?? and i do not even have nero on a disc, rather a zipped file on my second hard drive..what should i do? one more thing, i do have a CD-Writer on my other computer (which is in a box).. should i instal that on this pc, will it work ok with burning.. then, instead of having a DVD-Writer and a DVD-Rom, i will have DVD Writer (which is obviously not working anymore) and a CD-Writer.. but why take a risk and waste the guarantee, right!?

9. Nephilim

If your PC is factory preconfigured they may give you a headache. They get real pissy if you open the case and do anything on your own. Did you have to break any stickers on it to get the case open when you added your other hard drive?

I would definitely call your PC vendor to see what they can do. You paid good money for it and should pester the crap out of them until they give you a new drive. Your burner (or anything else in your PC) should last years not months.

10. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Scratches on discs after starting a burn..... check to see if the tray has any abrasives on it! :)

Also consider firmware updates and an ASPI refresher! :)