1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems burning with nero after using shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by starlymae, Nov 18, 2004.

1. starlymae

starlymae Member

Hi, everyone. I am new to this so please hang in there with me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Here is my problem. I am trying to burn a DVD. I have DVD shrink and DVD decrypter. I have tried burning the DVD by using DVD decrypter, then DVD shrink and burning with Nero. I saved the file from DVD decrypter to my HD then from HD to shrink. I only saved the main title. Nero says the DVD is too large for the blank DVD. I am using DVD+R Verbatim. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hi starlymae. I have shrink,decrypter and nero on my pc. I have not found any movies that i had to use dvd decrypter. Shrink has done them all. You said you are trying to copy the main movie so open up shrink,find your movie on the harddrive,or inser the original disc, Use reauthor in dvd shrink, drag what you want to burn,uncheck the boxes for extras like directors commentary and all that other crap. There you can check the compression of the disc. Keep it under 4300 mbs. Hit back up. There it will show you your target devise. This is where i have nero set up to burn. It also has a temporary file to keep your movie. Go to the tabs, set dvd region, mine is region free, set backup options,this is where you set your quality settings for deep analysis and run backup in low priority mode.If you select those two boxes then you will have a super quality backup, but it adds time to the process. last setting is burning speed, keep it under 4x for fewer errors. Get all those set the hit backup and you should be on your way. It will analyze, if you check deep analysis, then encode. If you have a single dvd drive like i got then it will spit out the original disc and tell you to insert blank disc. Any major problems then just report back. Big orange and scubapete are the masters and also have great guides in the guide forums. check them out. You are using the same media i am using which is pretty good. Stay away from memorex and store brand media like staples, some of these guys will laugh you out of here

3. starlymae

starlymae Member

Thank you for the help. I will try that and get back to you and let you know how it goes. Again thank you!

4. starlymae

starlymae Member

OK, one more thing. I no longer have the disk that I wanted to backup. I do however have the VTS files saved to my HD. Can I still burn this DVD by using those files?

5. starlymae

starlymae Member

I wanted to add a little more information that might help you guys help me (heres to hoping) I have saved the dvd two different times to my computer. I have it once where when you open the folder there are two files one that says AUDIO_TS and the other VIDEO_TS. The second one is in a folder where when you open the folder all the files are in there as VIDEO_TS AND VTS_01_O EXT. There are a lot of them in this last folder. Anyway which one of these can I use with shrink if either? Thanks again for taking the time to help a newbie out

6. starlymae

starlymae Member

saugmon when following your direction I come to the part where it says to "this is where you set your quality settings for deep analysis and run backup in low priority mode.If you select those two boxes then you will have a super quality backup, but it adds time to the process" all the boxes are grayed out and I cannot select them. Can you tell me why?

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

hi starlymae. I sometimes come up with the same gray boxes in the quality enhancements. On 1 movie the other day i made 2 backups. The first backup had the gray boxes , but the second backup i dad later did have the high lighted check boxes so i checked them. I don't know what causes this. Without the checks it took the process 40 mins. Second copy took 1hr 8 min. That copy was deep analying option only checked. Both copies came out great. Hopefully somebody can explain to us about the gray boxes. btw, the movie was chronicles of riddick

8. starlymae

starlymae Member

I don't know what I am doing wrong. For some reason I cannot get the dvd to burn. I have gone through 8 disks now.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

If the movie is under 4464 MB or your target size (4300 MB recommended) then there will be no compression and those boxes will be grayed out. Try setting the target dvd size to 4300 MB in shrink preferences and running it through shrink again. Use burn with nero and select your dvdrw as your target drive.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

thanks mort81, I will have to check my shrink preferences. Hi starliemae, i forgot to tell you you should practice with a rewritable discs. That will take care of the coasters. With nero not burning properly: What are the specs on you dvd burner? Is it + or - or both. Your make and model# will reveal the question. bye

11. starlymae

starlymae Member

It is a Pacific Digital’s 8x8 Multi±Format External USB 2.0 DVD writer supporting both DVD+RW and DVD-RW media. I will go buy some RW disk and keep trying.

12. starlymae

starlymae Member

Hey, saugmon. I finally got it to work!!! You wouldn't know how to burn downloaded DVD's would you, or anyone for that matter? Thanks again everyone for the help.

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey starlymae, I see you got it down now. I haven't messed around with burning downloads off the net"If that is what you meant". I just use this to back up my video collection. I am sure someone else can answer that, maybe even start a different thread on that . Later