1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems burning

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by hawthorne, Dec 28, 2004.

1. hawthorne

hawthorne Member

I have a nice collection of coasters. I have tried all of the info out there for rip and burn. rip fine burn supposedly fine. DVD +r will not read on either my burner (compatable with all +/-r/rw, thats why I bought it) fully hardware checked and software/driver checked, and will not read in my home DVD unit. Media is HP 8x DVD +r, you would think that this would be good media, let me know if I'm wrong. I used decoder and followed all instructions. All indications say that burn successful. Same with Nero 6. End of my rope. Only can drink so many beers, I have too many coasters.

2. hawthorne

hawthorne Member

Another new coaster. Have tried decrypter. Worked great unitl I tried to play what I spent the better part of an hour burning. I have a toshiba burner (just more info that I forgot the first time). Please help.

3. l1n3x

l1n3x Member

so your not having a probelm burning just viewing correct?

so give us some info on your dvd player,

www.videohelp.com go there and see what dvds your dvd player can play...

4. lpmrhahn

lpmrhahn Guest

I just got a Toshiba as well(SD-R5272) and it's not burning DVDs either. I tried copying Master and Commander and then The Last Samurai, those are both coasters now, tried burning 2 data DVDs but Nero is crashing around the 90% mark so that's two more. It's burning/copying CDs just fine though. If you figure out what's wrong with yours let me know, and I'll be sure to do the same.

5. hawthorne

hawthorne Member

Correct. The unit burns just fine, as is evident by the burn surface on the bottom of the disk, but I am unable to view or read anything. I will have to get back to you on the particular model of Toshiba that I have. I know when I bought it that it was supposed to burn and read and play any and all varieties of DVD media.

6. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Anytime you have one bad burn with DVD+/-Rs, USE A REWRITABLE THE NEXT TIME UNTIL YOU FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM! There is no excuse for burning 2 coasters in a row with the same errors. The troubleshooting method is to first find out where the process fails - is it the rip, the burner, the media, or the standalone player.

If you have something like PowerDVD or a PC player, you should be able to select the VIDEO_TS directory and play the movie just like a normal DVD. If the chapters are fine, then try the DVD on another standalone DVD player or your PC. If it plays fine, then your player or cheap media might be the cause. Also, when you burn DVDs using Nero, make sure you select 'DVD-Video' instead of DVD-UDF or DVD-ISO. It will check all the files to see if they are DVD-compliant and with DVD+Rs, set the type to DVD-ROM which will improve compatibility.

7. hawthorne

hawthorne Member

I'm back. I have a Toshiba SD-R5272 and according to the video help site this player doesn't burn the HP 8x that I have for s@@t. This may be part of the problem.

8. hawthorne

hawthorne Member

I am going to try using different media. Probably -r at 4x as this seems to work better for those with my burner. I have to agree with one comment, if you buy a 8x burner you would expect to burn at 8x. Why is the media so unpredictable? CDR's seem to be relatively flawless compared to DVD r's. Where is the quality control on these manufacturers?

9. hawthorne

hawthorne Member

I tried verbatim 8x -r media and it worked flawlessly. I guess media is the biggest problem when burning DVD's.

10. PLYC

PLYC Member

I also found that the SD-R5272 will NOT BURN the HP DVD+R 8X media that was suggested. I had a couple of generic DVD+R 4X blanks and those didn't work either. I have found, however, that it WILL burn Memorex DVD+RW and Maxell DVD-R 4X. Has anyone found any DVD+R 8X media that this machine WILL burn successfully?