1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems converting AVI To DVD

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Game420, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Game420

Game420 Member

Okay i got a new computer. Its specs are AMD athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 4400+, 2 gig of ram and a standard edition NVIDIA Geforce graphics card 6150. My problem is this. When i first got the computer i could use convertxtodvd winavi cucusoft avi to dvd converter or any one for that matter. Never had a problem would convert and burn fine at like 30% Cpu usage. Now a couple months later it runs at 100% cpu usage and will shut down after 5 minutes. Doesn't matter what program i used. Trust me I've tried em all and it does the same thing so I'm guessing its not the software its the hardware.I'm running windows vista.For spyware i use lavasoft and i have norton internet security and antivrus. I use ccleaner to clean up the computer and fix registry problems. I run the spyware and anti virus check probably 2 or 3 times a week along with all the computer clean up and i also go through internet options and clean it that way. Like I said it runs really hot and the cpu usage skyrockets then shuts down...Need help fast

2. attar

attar Senior member

Only if the CPU is overheating at 100% would it be a problem.
    If it is, pull the covers off and check for something blocking the airflow around the CPU.
    A new computer should not have a dust problem, but it may have cables blocking a fan.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Hmonitor_d269.html

3. Suba

Suba Regular member

I second attar. Once you have a cover off, turn the machine on and check if CPU fan is running at all.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  4. Game420

Game420 Member

CPU fan is runnin and nothing is blocking it... This is the second computer that has done this to me... Do you think its because i burn a lot or what

5. attar

attar Senior member

There are specs for the CPU which indicate the temperature range.
    If the measured temp exceeds that range and there is no obvious reason for it doing this (running at 100% is not a reason), then it's defective.
    If it was my new computer it would be going back.

6. Game420

Game420 Member

Yeah but this is the second new one its done this to me... Remeber i said it would work at first for like a couple months then it would start shutting down and running at high temps.

7. Suba

Suba Regular member

If this is the second computer from the same builder, I would be back to have it fixed or money back!!!!!!
    May be there is no heat paste between CPU and a fan.

8. Game420

Game420 Member

Nope 2 completley different computers.... I can hear the fans turn on and i can see them working but the temp still gets to hot... the heat paste thing could be a possibility but between 2 different computers the likelihood of that being the cause of both of them is slim... Thats why i was askin if it may be my dvd burner just goin bad..I just dont want to go by one though if i dont have to.

9. 1bonehead

1bonehead Guest

Is your CPU overclocked? If so, this can cause overheating.

10. Game420

Game420 Member

Yes i think it is... Its running past the original MHZ for both the CPU clock and the CPU FSB. How can i fix this?

11. thorrider

thorrider Member

I've actually been haveing that exact same problem and the CPU oly jumps up to 100% when i try to convert an avi/mpeg to dvd. Really i dont think its a hardware issue cause i can run other programs and they run fine but try to convter and i start to have problems.

12. d4zlia

d4zlia Guest

I've spotted something for a start.

Quote "For spyware i use lavasoft and i have norton internet security and antivrus."

First thing i'd suggest is get rid of Norton as it is an absolute waste of time, money and CPU Processing power.

Seriously, it is really bad for slowing down your machine.

Download AVAST Home Edition (and no im not an affiliate lol), then dissconect from internet, unistall Noreton and then install AVAST. That will give you MUCH more protection and quicker boot up times and less CPU for a start. I used to work for an internet security company so i do know what im talking about as far as AV is concerned.

HAvnet got a clue when it comes to burnign DVD's though, hence why im here lol

13. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

how hot does the cpu get?

what is the mobo?

try converting with side panel off...

14. Game420

Game420 Member

The cpu core 1 gets to 82 degrees celsius. The side panel is always off. Whats mobo?

15. Game420

Game420 Member

The cpu core 1 gets to 82 degrees celsius. The side panel is always off. Whats mobo?

16. attar

attar Senior member