1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems copying films

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by AndyM, Jan 29, 2004.

1. AndyM

AndyM Guest

I am having a real bad problem copying films with my DVD writer. I have no problems doing a direct copy of an already copied film (copied dvd > copied dvd). But if I use DVD Strink or SmartRipper on my original films and then use Nero to burn the files into a VIDEO_TS folder, the dvd will not play on any standalone, but they will play on my PC when I click on the files. I noticed that if I put a DVD that plays ok into my DVD drive and right click it, it gives the option "Play with Power DVD" (which is the software which I use to play films with). But if I put a dvd that wont play on a standalone and right click the drive, it doesnt give that option. What am I doing wrong???

Also when I try using DVD X Copy XPress the software writes to the blank dvd and i can navigate through explorer and see all the files, but when I come to play it, an error message appears "invalid format".

My DVD writer is a Matshita DVD-RAM sw-9581
    I have tried multiple DVD media and I get the same problems.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

AndyM,

I'm not sure I understand what you need help with - are you having trouble copying a DVD copy with DVD Xcopy Xpress?

"P"

3. AndyM

AndyM Guest

The backups I create will not play on any standalone player. But if I copy a copy, it plays fine.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

OK, How did you get the copies that you can copy alright ?

What were you doing then you're not doing now ?

"P"

5. AndyM

AndyM Guest

The copies that work were done by my mate on his PC. he used DVD X Copy XPress to do a backup of a film I have.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

AndyM,

Looking at the last part of your post, about XCopy Xpress. That's as simple as one can get, the only thing that will give you an error message there is lousy media.

A move uptown to the flats on the other side of the tracks where the Name Brand media lives would be in order. I use Ritek and Verbatim, you need either one of them or a "Fancy" neighbor of theirs. One of thos High-totten babes is what you need :)

When you buy the "cheap" stuff, it's never really "cheap, if you get my drift ??

"P"

7. AndyM

AndyM Guest

But im using Datasafe 4x DVD-R (Ritek G04 Dye) they should be good enough. My mate also used these to do the backup for me.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

OK, sorry about that, I didn't want to know about your illegal stuff.

Ok, assuming what you're doing now isn't against the law, I can't think of anything that using Shrink and then Nero that would result in the problems that you are having except the possibility of a compatibility issue - checkout your standalone here -

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

"P"

9. AndyM

AndyM Guest

Don't worry it aint illegal. He was backing up a film of mine for me.

It cant be the standalone because that backup he did for me plays on it. Also ive tried playing them in 3 different standalone players

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Andy, we still need to try to change media -

We do that, uninstall and reinstall software and then worry about hardware -

The main concern is the fact that DVD XCopy as well as the others are giving you the exact same error message - we pretty much are eliminating other stuff EXCEPT hardware, let's hope it's the media -

(fingers crossed)
    "P"

11. AndyM

AndyM Guest

Im not getting same error.

DVD X Copy Xpress : Copies files to dvd, but when I try to open them it says "invalid format". Have tried multiple media with this.

Shrink & Nero : Copies files to dvd, plays on PC but not in any standalone. Multiple media been used with this.

Also software has been re-installed, all drivers have been updated.

I really am at a loss. Its probably the writer, ive been reading on this site about other people with the same writer having a whole host of problems.

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Andy,

As I said, there's no way all the software is bad, most of it is self running as it were - even if the error messages are different (They really would have to be, different programs have different wording when screwing up).
    We have just one other thing to try - borrow a burner and hook it up to syour PC that, as they say, would be the proof of the pudding !

Ooohh, one last question These ARE commerical Movie type DVD's aren't they ??

"Iffin' they be, Matey" said the First Mate to the Sailor, "Then it's ta puttin' ashore we'll hav' ta go ta gets 'nother Burner for de Cookie"

"P"

13. markc

markc Member

I have the same problem with a NEC 1300a ND DVD. I copy a fime onto a black DVD and it plays great on the PC but wont work as it should on my home DVD. I think the problem i am having is its not finalizing the disk properly so when i try to play it it in the home DVD it messes up.

14. AndyM

AndyM Guest

Yeah they are comercial Dvd's

Thats a good idea, just godda try and talk someone into lending me there writer.

15. AndyM

AndyM Guest

When I put a DVD film into my drive and I right click the drive with the dvd in, I get the option "Play with Power DVD" - which means that my PC has recognized that this is a film and is giving me the option to play it. But if I put a copy ive made in, i dont get that option - which means the Pc has looked and just thinks its a disk with data on. But ive put the files in a VIDEO_TS folder and put a AUDIO_TS folder on (incase it makes a difference) so i really dont understand the problem. Am I making any sense???

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Yes AndyM, you're making sense -

You don't need the "audio file" there, I don't know if it does anything bad but ti doesn't help -

Are you copying DVD Video or DVD Data ? - S/B Video -.

Alright, let me get my head on straight - First, we don't want to use DVD Xcopy's copy to copy from, it has an anti-pirate thing in there to prevent that from happening. (There are some ways to do it but we will not talk about them here !)

Let's just go from the top - you already have Shrink, is it the newest one ?? If not, use the link at the bottom. You already have Nero. Good ! Let that stay on your system, the New Shrink will need it.

Second, use the dirrections included here along with the original DVD's and we won't have that truoble again !

Shrink download -
    http://www.softpedia.com/public/scripts/downloadhero/3-7-52/

When using DVDShrink ver. 3.1.4 nbeta0

Before I start, I create a folder with my movie’s name somewhere on my HD where I can find it later (i.e. C:/ DVD Work/Pirates of the Caribbean).

When using DVDShrink, after inserting your DVD, open Shrink, click “Open Disk”. Then, “Select DVD Drive” and click “OK”. After Shrink has opened your disc, anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 ½ minutes you’ll see the size of the disc at the bar at the top of the page. If you have a Green bar with a little Gray at the top of the page, go to the next paragraph:) If you see some “Red”, simply check off those files you don’t want, I.E. Outer Mongolian or Eastern Yak Basin language, or extra audio files – I keep ACS 2ch or ACS 5.1, that will give you stereo, most of the rest you can trash. Only do that if you need to lose some stuff to make it fit. You can also gain more room by clicking “Custom Ratio” and increasing the compression.
    Personally, I compress until I see about 1/8 of an inch of Gray at the end of my Green bar - that way I’m not writing to the very edge of my DVD disc. - Remember, more compression, a tiny bit less on the picture quality – when I say “less quality” I’m speaking of theoretically less, nothing you can really see with the naked eye for the most part.

With that being done, let’s make sure that the box which says “Full Disk” is depressed (No need to cheer it up, it likes being depressed :). When you are ready to go, - -> click “Backup”. When the Backup box opens, under “Target Device” make sure your DVD Burner is listed in the window. Under “Target folder”, make sure the folder you made at the beginning with the movie’s name is there (that way you can always go back and burn another copy in the future). Now click “OK”.
    Last step: “STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER !” Clear your throat and yell, “Burn and Baby, Burn ! ” “Let me hear you say it, Who’s your Daddy Now ???” Do not fold, spindle, mutilate, molest nor fondle the keyboard. “GO AWAY !” Ms. Computer will let you know when she is finished, to approach her before then may be a hazardous to your health -

Really, let it alone, go call your Mom, she misses you and would love to hear from you - your backup will be ready shortly, honest :)

Enjoy your backup,
    Pete