1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems copying mpegs to DVD with nero vision express?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by trueman, May 17, 2004.

1. trueman

trueman Member

Hello,

I am new to the world of dvd burning but am slowly learning. However I have a few queires regarding using nero vision express.

Q1. I have been using nero vision express to convert mpegs so they can be then burnt to dvd. However whilst I can convert one at a time if I try to convert two or three at once I get an error about not enough space for temp files. Even though the two or three mpegs may only be around 2-3gig at most total. How do I get around this? Also if I do convert them all one at a time how am I able to burn them as I assume that I cannot create multiple video_TS folders.

Q2. I have also tried using TMPENGenc Plus to convert mpegs but the files it creates are wav files amnd m2v files. What am I supposed to do with these files?

Thanks in advance,

Trueman.

2. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

try just using main nero programe and drag & drop the files i did it with a couple of simpsons dvd's it worked ok

right heres a guide

This is where it all comes together, or goes pear shaped

First point, TMPGenc isn’t the most stable program in the world, it falls over occasionally though to be fair it does some very complex stuff.

When you open it should come up with the Project Wizard. If for any reason it doesn’t go to the file menu and start it up from there.

First choice is Format, whether you choose Video-CD or Super Video-CD you need to pick the correct TV format. Gspot tells us whether we are working with NTSC or PAL. If you forget, recheck. PAL is 25fps anything else is NTSC.

Video-CD (VCD) or Super Video-CD (SVCD) SVCD is better quality, VCD is smaller files. If the film originally had poor quality then choosing SVCD will not improve it, but if it is DVD quality to start with then SVCD will be higher quality. You also have to bear in mind file sizes, if you are converting a 700 meg DivX then SVCD will leave it in the region of 1 gig which obviously won’t fit on a CD. If you choose SVCD then find out a few steps down the Wizard (Wizard calculates file size before you set it doing it’s thing) that the file is too big you can just step back through the wizard and change it to VCD.

So, select format then Next.

File browser, what we do here depends on the audio format of the file. If it is mpeg sound in film we only need to point the Video file browser to the correct place, it will fill in the audio automatically for you. If you have stripped the sound out and converted it from AC3 then you have to point the Audio File browser to the .wav file you ripped (Even if the wizard fills it in itself, it is just pointing to the film) So you should end up with a location in each of the browsers, don’t change anything else on this screen, Next.

On this window Click Other Settings, Click the Advanced tab on top of the window, On Video arrange Method select Full Screen (keep aspect ratio) from the drop down list. Click OK then Next

Next window, don’t change anything, this is where you find out what size the file will be, you can actually fir a film file over 700meg on a single CD, you don’t need to know why, but the file size bar has a line at just past the 700 mark, if you are inside that line, it will fit on a CD. If you selected SVCD and the file is too big you can just hit the Back button to start of wizard and change it, or go ahead and split the file when it is done. If everything is OK just hit Next.

This allows you to change the location of the file it is outputting, default is same folder as the original, make sure the original has an .avi extension as the program makes the converted file the same name but with an .mpg extension. If you want to go ahead and convert that file just hit OK. If you are doing 2 files you can select Create another project file(s) for batch encoding which makes sense if you are going to work, bed, pub etc.. J If running a batch it takes you back to the beginning of wizard, goes without saying, that if 2 parts of 1 film being converted then both need to have exact same settings.

It is normal for it to take a couple of hours to do a file conversion, I always do them when the computer isn’t going to be in use (Or I do them on the laptop while I’m playing on this J ) as it uses all available resources to speed things along.

now i supose this would work with dvd aswell
    see i mainly do svcds not dvd's so i sent you this to see if it helps but ill keep playing around when i get home to see what eles you can use but no doubt someone will read this thread and will know exactly what to do
    what id do after that is use svcd2dvd but it seems bit of a pain in the arse to go to all that trouble just to make a dvd
    hope i have been of help

_
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]pentium 4 3,2ghz 1224mb ddr 2700
    120gig sata hdd
    gforce fx 5600 8x agp
    6.1 sound[/small]

Last edited: May 17, 2004
  3. trueman

trueman Member

I did that originally. Just dragged some mpegs in Nero 6 and burnt them to DVD. However they wouldnt play on my dvd player. Someone told me its becuase they are still only mpegs and your dvd needs to be able to play mpegs. As not all of them do I want to convert them to a format that they will play on my dvd player.

4. trueman

trueman Member

Thnaks heaps for the informative reply. I have a couple of questions though. If Tmpegenc is to unstable what do you suggest I use instead? I have nero 6 and Nero vision express. Also you say to burn the mpegs to vcd or svcd but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of getting a dvd burner in the first place. I used to burn vcds when I had only a cd burner but now that I have a dvd burner I want to burn to dvd so I can fit more on each disc.

Also one last question. How do I get around the error message I get from nero vision express that tells me their is not enough room in the chosen location for the temp files. (I have plenty of hdd space.)

Thanks again.

5. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

yes for some reason i somtimes get that when doing dvd's with nero but only when backing up xbox games and some of them are only 2 gig so not to sure theres prob a bug in there some where so i then use discjuggler from padus and this works fine so the problem is with nero and as for tempcenc it the best so not to sure but ill find out so stay tuned

6. trueman

trueman Member

Will discjuggler allow me to burn mpegs to dvd?? At least Nero will allow me to do that. Actually so far Nero vision express seems to be the only program I have found that will allow me to do that. Tmpgenc is supposed to but the file comes out with a m2v extension. Im not sure what Im supposed to do with that.

7. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

it will do its not far off the same as nero heres a web site to get apps from there might b somthing on there that will help

http://www.suprnova.org
    there 1000's