1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems getting video/audio to sync in VirtualModDub

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by jmurdock, Aug 26, 2007.

1. jmurdock

jmurdock Member

Here are a couple of examples of issues I've been experiencing regarding the audio/video being out of sync in VDubMod when opening VOB's I'd ripped with DVD Decrypter.

(Found in VDubMod underneath Streams --> Report)

Ed Wood Chapter 8

---== Video stream ==---

Source : [Input MPEG file]
    Description: MPEG video stream
    Length : 00:07:23.151

---== Other stream ==---

Description : MPEG audio stream (AC3)
    Length : 00:07:23.264

Sid And Nancy Chapter 20

---== Video stream ==---

Length : 00:03:16:405

---== Other stream ==---

Length : 00:03:14:880

As you can see, the audio from Ed Wood is slightly longer than the video, whereas with Sid and Nancy, it's wildly off.

Any suggestions on how to sync them precisely?

Oh, and a couple of other things.

1)In VDubMod, when I open a VOB and press Input Playback, I can hear audio along with the video. It's just a tad out of sync with most files (like Ed Wood).

2)Someone suggested I convert to a WAV file when I open the converted AVI in VirtualDub; but in order to retain maximum audio quality, I don't wish to compress my audio. Just the video.

Thanks.

- J

EDIT: I just checked and rechecked this report from the next chapter Of Sid And Nancy and oddly enough, the sync is almost perfect.

---== Video stream ==---

Length : 00:03:39:094

---== Other stream ==---

Length : 00:03:39.072

What the hell???

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

You would save the audio as 'no compression(PCM)'

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  3. jmurdock

jmurdock Member

Sounds good. But how do I get them to synchronize though? Demux and then put the audio/video back together inside VDubMod?

4. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Is this tread still active?

I have simular isues getting several video to synk when either transcoding DVD to Xvid or Divx (using AutoGK v2.40 stable) and also when renduring most Xvid to DVD using NeroVision (under Nero Ultra v7.8.5.0 and also Abobe Premiere Elements v3.0)

In both cases, the video slugs slowly behind the audio wich always seams to be on track.

Here's the weird part. It is happening on 3 Intel based rigs (1st: D-950 on 955x, 2nd: T7200 on 945G notebook, 3rd: E6750 on P35) The same files come out fine on my older AMD X2 4200 OC'd to 2.8 (in sig) with same OS, but older version of NeroVision (maybe v7.5 or 7.2 I have to check). All PC's running XP Pro x64 SP2 build 3790 whereas the T7200 is on XP MCE 2003 SP2 x86 (32bit)

Any suggestions?

Thankx in advance

5. jony218

jony218 Guest

try running the files through fixvts after you decryt them, that might fix some of the audiosync problems.

My advice to everyone is to use fairuse (free version) to convert your dvd to xvid. After over a 100 conversions, I still haven't had a out of sync video yet.

Another program that has work good for me and has better quality is dr.divx 2.0 (also free) , I use this program mainly for episodic dvd's which fairuse has problems with.

This how I ripped my dvd's,
    1. dvdfabhddecryter (free)
    2. run files through Fixvts (free)
    3. backup files to ISO with dvdshrink 3.2 (free)

this method produces a finished product that can be converted to xvid/divx without any audio sync problems.

6. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

So are you saying it is happening when I ripped them to HDD from origional DVD? Cause the VOB's play in sync in any DVD app I use, but certain ones (License To Drive or Four Aces) loose sync when converting Vob to Xvid. How fast is this other app you mention compared to AutoGK?

7. ugc

ugc Regular member

NuckNFuts>

you and I run across the same problems a lot. I have been reading some of your past post, and the issues you have seem to match mine to a "T".

Here is my facts: The DVDs play fine from hard drive (everything is in sync). When I convert to xvid or divx, some (very few) are out of sync. I use avi.net for ALL my conversions. But with the sync problem, I tried others. And on all the others, the sound was out of sync also on that certain DVD (even fairuse). So, I found an easy way to straighten it out. I encode with avi.net, if it happens to be out of sync, I use vdubmod and put it in sync without re-encoding. Only take a couple of minutes.

8. ugc

ugc Regular member

I will go a step further to help with this sync issue:

1) Goto Streams>Report in VirtualDub Mod and find the difference between the length of video and audio streams. Try that as your delay time.

2) Open the file, click Streams > Stream List, right-click the audio and select Interleaving, input the value in milliseconds from step 1, click File > Save as, select Direct Stream Processing from the lower drop-down, and save under a new, unique filename and view the new file.

3) If that delay time doesn't work, try different times to get it right.

9. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

The issues related to NeroVision seamed to be solved by the fixes I found in the other posts. Now the video in AutoGK seam to slowly let video slip behing audio at a different rat but video smoother, but still out of sync even in preview. But only on certain titles I had. I do need to confirm how they were ripped to HDD. But I do know most were with DVD Shrink and recently also using RipIt4Me w/ shrink to open and rip. The one with the prob recently (License To Drive) was ripped via Clone DVD if that matters. the title "Smoking Asce" also does this, but not sure how it was ripped. I know it wasn't Clone, usually maybe DVD Decryptor via RipIt4Me to vob for use in AutoGK (my usual methon). Now I know I'm on x64 XP but like I said, it is working on an AMD system (the one in sig) And doeas nice too.

Even after a fresh install of same OS to Intel Core 2 E6600 rig on 2 different mobos, now a P35 basd ASUS P5K Premium, same thing as when on older P5WDG2-WS Pro Wi-Fi Edition.

Is htere an order of priorty installs and "black list" appds/codecs that should not be on same install as well as ones I can use in good sync?

10. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

@NuckNFuts: have you tried using Virtual Dub only, letting it use the offset that ugc mentioned to keep audio & video in sync? if that doesn't solve the problem, I have no idea.

On a straight rip of a video stream (without scenes/chapters at all) with audio, it will either be in sync, ahead, or behind. It shouldn't be alternating. That could mean the media is bad or your DVD player/ripping program can't keep a constant data rate. When I back up PS2 games, ripping them too fast leads to a loss of sync with the audio. When I burn too fast, the video skips or the audio is glitchy/is out of sync.

11. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

How do I run it outside of AutoGK? I never worked with it on its own yet.

As for my other issues with NeroVision, I moved to Nero 8 since and am at latest version of 8.1.1.0 and Nerovision works fine except for some new 3D menues wich I guess needs another foru to resolve.