1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems Installing DVD Writer

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Jaffacake, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Jaffacake

Jaffacake Guest

I just received my Pioneer 107 DVD writer and installed it on the secondary section of the IDE cable (my DVD ROM is on the primary) and booted up the pc, now my problem is that the PC no longer sees either of the drives!

Is there some conflict issue with having a DVD rom and a DVD writer on the same IDE cable?

Ive tried every combination possible, they both work perfectly if they are the only one connected, ive burned a few backup DVDS already with just the DVD writer connected and the DVD ROM works perfectly as well by itself and even with a normal CD writer installed.

Ive tried both of them on secondary and primary positions but whenever they are both connected to the PC neither of them are recognised by the PC.

Any help would be great as its driving me insane!

2. movie_777

movie_777 Member

Make sure that your DVD writer is set to master (jumper setting in the back) and your DVD ROM as a slave. You did not mention this on your post so I don't know if you did this or not. Also check to see if your BIOS recognizes both drives.

Hope this solves your problem.

3. brian100

brian100 Guest

Are you sure you have got your IDE ribbon cable correctly connected to your mother board?. The end that connects to your motherboard should have a "coloured" (can remember if its red or blue) edge or mark present. It may be worth trying another IDE cable if you have one handy..

It's only a thought...it may be worth checking..

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I have see conflicts at times between DVD roms and DVD burners on the same IDE cable. It sometimes helps to put them on the different cables. Example:: Main HD as master with DVD rom as slave on first IDE. DVD burner as master and second HD as slave on second IDE. Also make sure IDE cable is 80 wire not 40 wire.

Jerry