1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems making copies of VCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by mrspivy, Mar 22, 2003.

1. mrspivy

mrspivy Member

I'm trying to burn a store bought VCD but I'm having trouble. The VCD has lots of pixilations and graphical glitches at about the last 15 minutes of the movie. I used CloneCD 4 to read the image (chose Data CD profile) but the speeds would drop down drastically when it got to 80% and it would stay very slow until the end. Sometimes the read speed would drop down to 0kb for a few minutes. I've burned 2 CD's so far, one at max speed and the other at 4x, and when I played them in my DVD player they wouldn't show the last 15 minutes of the movie, it just froze. Is the image read-file screwed up? There's no option to change the reading speeds for my drives. What can I do?

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Appears as if the original VCD wasn't "properly" converted to VCD format or burned too fast or burned on cheap media. Return the VCD back to the store and get a refund?

Shoey

3. mrspivy

mrspivy Member

Well it's my uncle's and the discs are from China or Hong Kong I think and he's in the U.S. so that would be a problem. The thing is, even though there are graphical glitches near the end it still plays, so I figure there's gotta be a way to copy it. I just tried again, re-reading the image file and burning it at 1x and it was even worse. It started messing up and freezing half and hour before the movie ended. What the heck is going on? I'm using Imation CD-R's, TDK 12/10/32 burner, and Win98se.

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Try making a direct cd copy with Nero! If he is in the US that wouldnt be a problem because as you said, it does work until the last 15 minutes!

5. mrspivy

mrspivy Member

I found the solution. If I just keep reading the VCD to an image file eventually it will produce a good image. At first when I was reading the file to my hard disk, it would slow down badly, but after 3 wasted discs and constant reading it didn't slow down anymore. I just have to keep an eye on the program and if it pauses for more than a few seconds or the speed drops down drastically then I know it's probably a bad read. Strange fix huh?
    But there's another problem, none of these discs will play on our expensive Sony DVP-S360 DVD player (it can play VCD's), but they will play on a cheap KLH DVD player we have. Do you know how to make it work on the Sony one? Could it be the quality of the blank discs? I'm using Imation CD-R's 700mb, Made in Taiwan discs. These aren't cheapos to my knowledge, are they?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2003
  6. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Yes it could rely on the media! Also, SONY apparently like CD-RW disks!!