1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems making working dvd backups

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by wejamn, Dec 28, 2003.

1. wejamn

wejamn Member

I am having some damn problems backing up dvds and im getting sooooooo frustrated. To begin, i got my dvd burner on christmas (Pioneer AO6) and i was told to use a program called dvd shrink to make my dvd-9 movies to fit on a dvd-r. I started off by burning the dvd Daddy Day Care. The movie had the option to play in widescreen and full screen so in DVD shrink i made the full screen option in still picture and with 0 sound. I then compressed the widescreen into level 5 and the extras into level6. When i went to play the movie everything booted up nicely. I selected the widescreen option and began watching the movie. About a quarter way in the movie started to flicker and pause. Then it started going bizerk and watching the video was dam near impossible. The next movie i burned was old School and for some reason the method i used to burn Old School worked fine. I used dvd shrink and i re authored the movie so that i only had to watch the "actual video" rather than going throught the menu and having special features. I then compressed the title to level 2 and then backed up. The movie played great with excellent quality. The next dvd and latest dvd i tried to back up was training day. I first tried the exact same method as i did for old school and the movie burned unsucessful. I then used dvd X copy express to make a back up and when i went to watch it the movie played much simialr to daddy day care and then it got to the point where i could not see motion and the picture was pause and i could not do n e thing.

Can n e one tell me wut i am doing wrong cause i am getting very very frustrated!!!

2. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

it's not shrink. it is your burn process. what burning program are you using. what media (type and brand) are you using?

it could be poor media quality.

3. wejamn

wejamn Member

I first use dvd shrink to compress the movie. Secondly, I use nero to burn the encoded files that come from shrink. Thirdly i have been burning the dvd's onto Verbatim DVD-R 4x media (expensive brand!). O have no idea why the movie crashes. Is it the level of compression that is effecting the movie? Because that it the only thing i can think of!

Thanks

4. whassup

whassup Regular member

I've got a Pioneer 106 and I can burn DVD back-ups fine. It's definitely your burn process.

Have you upgraded your firmware to 1.06? It's supposed to give better burning results at 4x. You've also got the XP ASPI layer installed? Have you tried other media? (I use Princo's that are cheaper but work fine.)

It's definitely not the proggys. I've used both with no probs.

5. wejamn

wejamn Member

I burn the dvd's at 2x. Right now i re-autored "Pirate of the carribean" and compressed movie to level 8. I am going to burn onto dvd-rw first to check and see if it the level of compression that is screwing up my burns. I dont believe its the media but i will soon enough try a few dif kinds. If n e one is willing to help me out step by step to backup one of my dvd videos, without having to re-author i would greatly appreciate it. My msn email address is kyles_on_fire@hotmail.com.

Thanks You

6. malum

malum Regular member

1) Compressing one version of the movie to still pictures and keeping another is madness, just use reauthor mode in Shrink and ditch everything you don't want
    2) It's almost certainly crap media that are causing your problems, what are you using?
    3) this has been covered countless times before (try searching)and 99% of the time it's the media at fault
    4) this belongs in the newbie forum

Last edited: Dec 29, 2003
  7. wejamn

wejamn Member

bah....problem has been solved!!! I was labelling my DVD discs with stick on labels....thats a no no. Now they work!