1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems on playback of burned DVDs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rnaval, Feb 25, 2005.

1. rnaval

rnaval Member

I'm using DVD Shrink 3.2 and DVD Decrypter to make full disc copies to Verbatim DVD+R DL discs. During playback, the movie freezes somewhere during the middle of the movie. What could be causing this?

Any help on this is appreciated as I have now made several movies and they are all worthless.

Thanks...RN

2. rnaval

rnaval Member

I forgot to mention that I'm using a Sony DRU-710A burner and the Verbatim DVD+R DL are 2.4X speed.

I just tested all DVDs that I burned and they are all freezing except for one dvd where the whole movie fit on a DVD+R 4.7GB disc.

Please help....RN

3. drcartman

drcartman Member

Hi,I am learning all this too,but I find that switching to dvd-r's helped me. Also be sure you are burning disc at slowest speed possible,this prevents jitters and freezes too. Another problem is some older home dvd players have problems reading the dvd-r discs,try another player too.

4. rnaval

rnaval Member

In my case, it's a new player and all of the players in the house are freezing during playback. These are brand new burned discs and the discs have been tested for CRC errors, none were found.

In DVD Decrypter, the speed setting is set to MAX, should I change this to 2.4X or slower?

5. drcartman

drcartman Member

i'd definately slow it down some,the slower the better.It may be the dvd+r that is the problem,try using a dvd-r,they are more compatablie with dvd players.use dvd shrink and copy a movie on the dvd-r and see if this fixes your problem,i had the same problems in the begining. I also found that the discs are super sensitive to touching of the disc,a little dust on the disc and it freezes right up :(

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@ drcartman,
    Kind of hard to use -R DL disk's when no one makes them!!

@ rnaval,
    Just wondering why if you are copying to a dual layer disk are you using DVD Shrink? You can limit any mistakes or problems simply by going into Decrypter and selecting "Mode" "ISO" "Read R" then it will copy your original onto your hard drive. Then take out the original and put in a blank disk. Now select "Mode" "ISO" "Write W" browse to where you saved the movie on your HD and click on write.. Presto you are done and have a full back up.. Try this method and see what happens, and let us know..

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  7. xxme2xx

xxme2xx Member

Buy some Taiyo Yuden dvd's or ritek bet it will solve your problem. I have a sony dw-d22a burner in one of my computers and unless i use ty's or ritek i get skips and freezes. My other burners don't seem to be as picky but they all burn better with good disks. Alot of people have good luck with verbatim and TDK's but not me nothing but trouble. They seem to burn good but always have little skips and freezes in them. Since I've started using ty's (from the advise of this forum)I haven't wasted one disk. Thanks guys

8. drcartman

drcartman Member

bbmayo,not being smart or anything,but where do you live? about all they have here in va is dvd-r's. Some store's like Best Buy and circuit City(locally) carry the dvd+r's but thats about all I see around here,sony's,memorex,fuji,etc all dvd-r.

9. zippyd

zippyd Active member

what bbmayo is saying is that rnaval is using dvd+r dual layer disc. you recommended a switch to -r discs which currently are not manufactured in dual layer format yet. from news articles i've seen, it shouldn't be too long.

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah what Zippy said :)

I guess I should have spelled it out Dual Layer Alias; DL, Double Layer, or DVD9 and if they make those in -R in VA who makes the DVD writer for them??? LOL Just messing with ya, but yeah I am talking about the dual layer format which at the present time only comes in the +R format. Rnaval did say
    So you see advising him to go to the store and buy some -R DL Disks would be pretty mean he may be looking forever or driving to VA LOL :)

Peace

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  11. drcartman

drcartman Member

ooops,my bad,misread,ha,ha,ha thanks for the update,makes sense now,we was talking about 2 different things,ha,ha,ha and nope,never seen a dual layer -r ;)

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah I didnt think so, and it almost looked like you were from West VA... LOL LOL

13. drew321

drew321 Member

I have the same problem, diff being dvd x copy xpress ,lg super multi burner and playing back on a denon dvd player with the projector as a tv. I am using maxell dvd-r 8x.

14. rnaval

rnaval Member

bbmayo,

This is the method I was told to use by a member in this forum. I'll try your method and let you know what the results are.

Incidentally, I tried playing these same movies in an older panasonic player at my sister's house and they all worked fine.

Thanks...RN

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

OK let us know how it works out :)

16. Malvar

Malvar Member

I just joined today because I wanted to discuss the same issue. I used a Pioneer DVR-108 Dual Layer Burner to burn a couple movies on the a Verbatim DVD+R Dual Layer Disc. I used DVD Decrypter for the decryption and DVD Shrink to burn it onto the discs. I have NERO 6 Ultra Edition. I know that NERO by itself can't copy to dual layer DVDs currently, but shrink can and it simply uses the burning ROM from NERO to do so. Both movies seem to be able to play back in my Pioneer DVR-108 internal computer drive. When I play it in my SONY internal DVD-ROM reader, it starts to play the movie, but the disc sounds like it is skipping in the drive. Eventually, it just automatically stops playing and the tray opens. I also tried to play the movies on the dual layer discs on my Panasonic XP-30 DVD player in my home theater system. It will play the previews and the initial warning pages, but when it comes time to play the movie it is just a black screen. I also noticed the panasonic front LED gets stuck as if it is trying to read the disc, but is confused. When I hit the open/close, stop, or play button, the response shows up on the display, but the player does nothing. I have to end up power cycling the DVD player to get the disc out. I also tried to run an analysis using shrink to see if it could read the Verbatim discs, but it says it can't read it and gives me an error statement, which I find weird since it claimed to successfully burn the movies. Is it an issue with the NERO burning rom that doesn't support Dual Layer burning? Is it that my sony and Panasonic drives are 3 years old? I don't think that is the case since Verbatim claims that their DL disks are readable like read only DL disks. Well, all my DVD players can read DL DVDs and they do work with the DVD+R single layer format so I don't think it is a format issue. Maybe the lasers can't focus both layers like my Pioneer DL burner can? I have lots of questions with little answers and I notice some posts are off the wall guessing reponses or people aren't reading the posts clearly. I can explain it better, but I need some insight from others. Help!

Mike

P.S. It is good to meet you all. I like the forum.

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

18. Malvar

Malvar Member

bbmayo,

That is an excellent little guide you provided. I will attempt this with the next movie I copy from a DVD to a DL DVD+R. I did come home today and played both DL DVD movies I had in a first generation SONY DVP-S530D single disc player. It may be first generation, but it was top of the line then. Well, it seems to be able to play the movies, but not without a few problems. Here is what I noticed. Menus don't work well when selecting certain features and when I fast foward or skip to another sector, it freezes until I hit the play button. Based on these symptoms, I am going to assume that the layer break being removed by DVD Shrink is causing some confusion when the player has to search between layers from the movie and the extra menus and features. In addition, the Verbatim Dual Layers can't be read cleanly by players with weak laser power (under 30mw). The specs are better on my Sony than on my Panasonic, which leads me to believe that the low power causes the player to lose tracking of disk sectors when fast forwarding or skipping because of the increased disc speeds. I would like more research on this and I am looking.

bbmayo, do you know anything about this? Is that why I am experiencing the things described on both my posts? Do you know why Decrypter by itself, seems to not cause the problem. Is the replication really that perfect? I would just like to know why.

Thanks for the assist!

Mike

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  19. rnaval

rnaval Member

bbmayo,

Using DVD Decrypter, I didn't notice any issues when backing up to disc, but when I switch to write mode and opened the file that I backed up, I get the following warnings. What does this mean?

...RN

I 12:38:51 Initialising SPTI...
    I 12:38:51 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
    I 12:38:51 Found 1 CD-RW and 1 DVD±RW!
    W 12:38:57 Possible Structure Protection Found!
    W 12:38:57 5 areas have been marked as 'suspect'.
    W 12:38:57 Dummy sectors will be inserted where necessary.
    W 12:46:46 Possible Structure Protection Found!
    W 12:46:46 5 areas have been marked as 'suspect'.
    W 12:46:46 Dummy sectors will be inserted where necessary.

20. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It sounds like you didnt get a very clean rip. Decrypter will insert dummy files in sectors where it finds problems in the structure. It could be just fine and mean nothing also could be problems. I would suggest burning it to a DVD RW and testing it. What movie was this?