1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems playing copied DVD's

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by babeantz, Oct 16, 2004.

1. babeantz

babeantz Member

Hello,

I'm a new user at afterdawn.com so my apologies if I go the wrong forum to post my problem. I bought a new toshiba laptop last in march 2004 which came with a 2x DVD-R writer (early days they came out on laptops!)it's a TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R6112 dvd writer. I have been copying thoudands of cd's before so I assumed DVD were somehow similar. So I have DVD shrink to shrink dvd's and nero 6 to burn. Here's the problem. whenever I try to play copied DVD's onto my living room dvd player, THEY ALWAYS JUMP while playing them. so the movies keep freezing, stoping for no reason... And it pisses me off so much , it unbelievable...!!!! I use CDCheck to check for CRC errors and get what? it's full of crc errors after burning discs! And I carefully use 4x or 8x cerfified discs. I disable the anti-virus and close all processes which could use resources and lead to a bad burn. that shoudln't happen anyway coz it's underburn proof. anyway. Even with buring data disc! keep getting CRC errors. I've updated the ATAPI layers, checked compatibilty but still get errors! I am really ennoyed with that and I think the drive is faulty, but I'm asking for any help or advice before I send it to toshiba to check the drive.

any help will be appreciated

Thanks for your time and your replies

Cheers

Babeantz

2. Linden

Linden Guest

You need to buy some quality blank dvd-r media. Most skipping, freezing problems are caused by poor discs.

I only buy discs with ritek G04 or G05 dye. I find these offer the best playback on the majority of standalone players. Search the forum for G04 & G05's info.

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Linden hit the nail on the head. The #1 cause of freezing, pixelateing, and errors is poor quality media. What media are you useing (please don't say memorex)? Any ole dvd blank media will work for data storage but for vidio reproduction you need good quality media with an even azo dye layor. The best is Taiyo Yuden but some other favorites are branded Ritek Ridata, Verbatum Datalife, Prodisc, and genuine TDK. Stay away from retail store brand media (Staples etc.). Here's a good media guide. http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

4. babeantz

babeantz Member

Many thanks for your advice and opinions. I use intenso mediums. I thought I could have been from the blank disc, but I know where my problem comes from now. I'll inverstigate about which quality discs I need to buy.

Again, many thanks for your support

Babeantz